The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2021, 06:52 PM   #26
BigBird05

Re: Going back to factory intake and carb

I would like to know how you would machine a curve onto the intake manifold?
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:07 PM   #27
Bbarbeau

So I've found this for sale locally, I've asked what it came off of. What do you think? Wants $300 for it which seems high to me.
Attached Images

Bbarbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:16 PM   #28
BigBird05

Sounds high to me even if it comes with the carb.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 12:48 AM   #29
lil hoodlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbarbeau View Post
So I've found this for sale locally, I've asked what it came off of. What do you think? Wants $300 for it which seems high to me.
I dunno, but I would pay $300 for that set up especially if the carb is in working order. Reman Quadrajets are going for $165 to $250 depending on core deposits. The pictured Quadrajet is a truck version by looking at the fuel line inlet orientation.
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:03 AM   #30
Greasey Harley

Quote:
$300 is crazy high in my opinion. Hundred, HundrednFifty bucks ...maybe.
I have about 30 QJ's (I have a problem) I never pay more than $20 for them. A lot of the time I get them for free.
Factory SBC intake manifolds, $20-100 depending on application and condition.
Maybe I'm just cheap?
Old 04-12-2021, 05:39 AM   #31
special-K
Special Order

Stock manifolds are a hard sale, so shouldn't cost much at all. A carb of unknown condition that I figure on rebuilding is worth $25. I've never paid more than that for a used carb. I see manifolds go for the same.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:56 AM   #32
mr.mud1

Quote:
that's high,depends on how bad you want it guess.if the carb worked,didn't need rebuilding, that's the million $ question,maybe you could live with $300.00,but as mentioned,you can buy them for $25.00 to $50.00 and rebuild them and a plain old cast iron intake should be cheap.i'd keep looking.i do alot of quadrajets here but don't have a decent one i could recommend but if you find one and want to mail it me,i'll do it send it back to you.this pair together is nice,as you'd get the choke setup on the intake,if it was the divorced style,that matched the carb.they do work well.on the driver's side of the carb body,on the secondary end of it,you'll see numbers stamped,7 digits on the old ones,8 on the later.that number will identify what year and engine the carb came from,if you're buying one from someone who doesn't know.holler if i can help you.Greg
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:10 AM   #33
Accelo

How about the other stuff that gets lost in the change over?
You didn't list the year but this stuff is important for it all to work like factory.

The tall oil fill
The air cleaner with the associated exhaust heat tube and the manifold covers?
Throttle Linkage (you might get lucky here)
The choke linkage, bi-metal spring and cover.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:49 PM   #34
Bbarbeau

Thanks - this is for a 72, sorry.

I found another intake that’s in a 69 GM. It’s got an EGR valve, no carb but I think the air cleaner may be available. The whole engine for $150 or parts off it. I’d want the valve covers too.

Number on the intake is: 3997771 which seems to be a 1973 intake. It has a pad on the passenger side which I assume is for the divorced choke? So I’d need to find a carb then and the associated mechanism?
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2021, 07:06 PM   #35
mr.mud1

Quote:

I found another intake that’s in a 69 GM. It’s got an EGR valve, no carb but I think the air cleaner may be available. The whole engine for $150 or parts off it. I’d want the valve covers too.

Number on the intake is: 3997771 which seems to be a 1973 intake. It has a pad on the passenger side which I assume is for the divorced choke? So I’d need to find a carb then and the associated mechanism?
Posted via Mobile Device
hi,there should be a flat pad about the middle between the small primary front hole and the large secondary hole in the intake an inch or so down from where the carb sits.there will be a bolt hole in that pad to attach the choke bi-metal spring and cover.you'll need a carb around the same year model in order to get the choke parts that will work.there will be back by the distributor hole,a set of numbers cast there like C 25 3 .. MARCH 25 1973 .That will tell you the year for sure.as long as there's a $150.00 worth of parts,that'll work but you still need a carb.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:14 PM   #36
Bbarbeau

Yup, there’s a flat pad there!

What about the EGR piece, can that be blocked off? If I get the entire block I guess it would have all the parts.

Going to check on a carb tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
hi,there should be a flat pad about the middle between the small primary front hole and the large secondary hole in the intake an inch or so down from where the carb sits.there will be a bolt hole in that pad to attach the choke bi-metal spring and cover.you'll need a carb around the same year model in order to get the choke parts that will work.there will be back by the distributor hole,a set of numbers cast there like C 25 3 .. MARCH 25 1973 .That will tell you the year for sure.as long as there's a $150.00 worth of parts,that'll work but you still need a carb.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2021, 07:29 PM   #37
mr.mud1

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
you can block off the hole in the manifold where the EGR valve bolts on,not the best looking setup but it will work,here again if all you're getting is valve covers and an intake manifold,it's really not a bargain at $150.00 if you still have to hunt a carb but maybe there's enough parts there to make it worth your while?
Old 04-12-2021, 07:37 PM   #38
Bbarbeau

Makes sense, thanks. I think he’d sell the parts separately too, his starting thing was take the engine for $150. So if that block is a ‘69 somehow EGR was added to it?

Quote:
you can block off the hole in the manifold where the EGR valve bolts on,not the best looking setup but it will work,here again if all you're getting is valve covers and an intake manifold,it's really not a bargain at $150.00 if you still have to hunt a carb but maybe there's enough parts there to make it worth your while?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2021, 09:06 AM   #39
Bbarbeau

Having thought about this slightly more, I don’t think the truck I saw with that engine yesterday was a 69 at all but is actually a 72. I’ll look at the SPID next time but the interior definitely seems to have the 72 scrollwork.

Is it possible that there were 72’s that actually had EGR? I don’t really care that much about EGR I should say, it’s just interesting if this one had it.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:19 AM   #40
geezer#99

You should post a pic of the flat pad before you buy it.
Hot air choke intakes had an egr and a different pad.
Your stock divorced choke carb won’t work with that.
A pic could help save some money.
Don’t get confused on what year truck a motor was in. Motors and parts have all been swapped.

That motor also has a long water pump. So is from 73 onwards.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:52 AM   #41
Bbarbeau

Thanks - this is not it but it's exactly the same pad etc (apologies for blurry photo, actually from the previous one I was looking at). I've seen pics of another style of pad that is more open.

I am finding more local wreckers that have things so I think I've got options too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
You should post a pic of the flat pad before you buy it.
Hot air choke intakes had an egr and a different pad.
Your stock divorced choke carb won’t work with that.
A pic could help save some money.
Don’t get confused on what year truck a motor was in. Motors and parts have all been swapped.

That motor also has a long water pump. So is from 73 onwards.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2021, 07:42 PM   #42
Bbarbeau

Made a trip to a wrecker today and came away with a few things. I think this will work but tell me if I'm wrong! No EGR at any rate.

Carb is rough but hopefully will cleanup okay and I'm thinking rebuilding it will be interesting.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2021, 07:51 PM   #43
mr.mud1

Quote:
Made a trip to a wrecker today and came away with a few things. I think this will work but tell me if I'm wrong! No EGR at any rate.

Carb is rough but hopefully will cleanup okay and I'm thinking rebuilding it will be interesting.
carb is very rough,i hope you didn't pay much for it?have you got someone to rebuild it?you can mail it to me in Nova Scotia if you don't.here's a picture of the carb setup on my 1967 327 impala wagon.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2021, 08:40 PM   #44
cj847

If I had seen this earlier I would have tried to talk you out of the swap. With that said, I will just caution that most quadrajets have been rebuilt multiple times, and at least 2 of those times was by someone who didn't know what they were doing. Yes, a GOOD quadrajet is a GREAT carb, but a bad one is bad and there are a limited number of people who can figure out what is wrong with one that has been assembled with mixed parts from several versions.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:48 PM   #45
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Soak that manifold in Evap-O-Rust, it'll come out purdy. Most parts stores have it for cheap. That carb looks pretty rugged. Are there any threads left where the fuel filter nut mounts? It looks "smooth". You'll need to find a nut and then JB weld it in if the threads are stripped, which is very common on Q-Jets. What is the part number? Hopefully it is a new enough unit that you don't have to worry about sealing the well plugs up.

Also- how are the threads on the heater nipple hole?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:01 PM   #46
Bbarbeau

Thanks

Carb might not look quite as bad as it does in these pics but it’s definitely tired. Will see if I can find that to soak it in, haven’t seen that around here but haven’t looked either.

Threads are fine on both actually, I took the old heater nipple out of that tonight so it’s okay.

Number on the carb is 17058213 I think - 1982?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Soak that manifold in Evap-O-Rust, it'll come out purdy. Most parts stores have it for cheap. That carb looks pretty rugged. Are there any threads left where the fuel filter nut mounts? It looks "smooth". You'll need to find a nut and then JB weld it in if the threads are stripped, which is very common on Q-Jets. What is the part number? Hopefully it is a new enough unit that you don't have to worry about sealing the well plugs up.

Also- how are the threads on the heater nipple hole?
Old 04-14-2021, 09:07 PM   #47
Bbarbeau

Cool, thanks. That’s a very clean install.

I was thinking I would buy Cliff Riggle’s book and do the rebuild myself actually but certainly will connect with you on that if I don’t do that.

It was $50 so maybe a bit much in hindsight but rebuilding may be interesting just itself.

Quote:
carb is very rough,i hope you didn't pay much for it?have you got someone to rebuild it?you can mail it to me in Nova Scotia if you don't.here's a picture of the carb setup on my 1967 327 impala wagon.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #48
Bbarbeau

Yes, I hear you. I’m not entirely happy with how the current set up works either to be honest, let alone how it looks! But it does need to function exactly right or I won’t have any patience for that. I had some work done on a 4GC in Toronto about ten years back and they did a great job but I don’t think anyone local to me would be up for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
If I had seen this earlier I would have tried to talk you out of the swap. With that said, I will just caution that most quadrajets have been rebuilt multiple times, and at least 2 of those times was by someone who didn't know what they were doing. Yes, a GOOD quadrajet is a GREAT carb, but a bad one is bad and there are a limited number of people who can figure out what is wrong with one that has been assembled with mixed parts from several versions.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:05 PM   #49
Bbarbeau

So maybe what I bought today was just a test because I just got this nice set from Cliff off a 72 Blazer. Pretty much everything I needed and pretty. I can clean up the other stuff I got and resell I guess.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2021, 11:13 PM   #50
mr.mud1

Quote:
So maybe what I bought today was just a test because I just got this nice set from Cliff off a 72 Blazer. Pretty much everything I needed and pretty. I can clean up the other stuff I got and resell I guess.
that looks much more promising.princess auto has evap-o-rust if you are close to one and i think i saw it at Canadian Tire.the 8 in the ugly carb number 17058213 is the year.1978