The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
C4UC101969

Truck history question

I have this burning desire to find out the history of my truck, ie. who owned it and for how long. Here in Canada we get for each used vehicle a used vehicle package that keeps truck of your vehicles history like how many owners owned it and what was the mileage when vehicle changed owners each time.
So I got that package when I got the truck (sellers in Ontario, Canada by law must provide buyers with it) and my truck's history in Ontario only starts in 2012 and prior to 2012 it says it was in Virginia(mind you truck was originally built in Oshawa, Canada).

So my question is, will Virginia DMV have some kind of history for me or some kind of info on previous owners, and if they do would they talk to a Canadian about it and provide me with it? Any input on this conundrum will be much appreciated.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:39 PM   #2
demian5

Re: Truck history question

Sounds like you need to contact the Virginia DMV directly.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:11 PM   #3
C4UC101969

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
Sounds like you need to contact the Virginia DMV directly.
Through my research I just stumbled on these websites, check in the link below would any of them have some valid history on my truck?

https://www.vehiclehistory.gov/nmvti...lehistory.html
Old 10-31-2019, 07:53 PM   #4
tim_mc

I can appreciate your quest for your truck's past. I found a '67 C20 farm truck built in St. Louis for sale that was pulled from an Illinois barn last year with a family of raccoons living in the cab. Mr. Henry Harre of Okawville, IL bought the truck new in '67 for his farm. Technically I'm the second owner.

For me it's the story...and the history captured on the bedsides.
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
mikeshome

Do you have the Vintage vehicle report for the truck?

https://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/option-info

I got mine gives you the date of build,what dealer,etc
mikeshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:02 AM   #6
dagnabbitt

Being that yours is a Canadian-built truck, you can write to them to get the original build info: it will, among other things, tell you what dealership it was sold at and on what date, as well as how it was optioned. Mine for my 1970 is below.

I wish you luck with the Virginia DMV, you never know what you might find out.
But I will bet you that if it was built in Oshawa that its life in the US was a blip: that is a strange path for a truck to take and I can't see it being imported there until it was already an antique.
Attached Images

1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:55 AM   #7
Canadian68owner

Did you have any luck tracking the history on your truck? I too am trying to track the history of my 68 which I believe spent all of its life in NC prior to coming to Canada last year.
Canadian68owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:07 PM   #8
54blackhornet

I only bought my 71 GMC because I knew it’s entire history from day one. It took over twenty years of pestering the original owner before he decided to let me assume ownership...good luck on your quest..Jack
Old 04-10-2021, 09:32 AM   #9
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
Being that yours is a Canadian-built truck, you can write to them to get the original build info: it will, among other things, tell you what dealership it was sold at and on what date, as well as how it was optioned. Mine for my 1970 is below.

I wish you luck with the Virginia DMV, you never know what you might find out.
But I will bet you that if it was built in Oshawa that its life in the US was a blip: that is a strange path for a truck to take and I can't see it being imported there until it was already an antique.
I don't know if GM was doing this back when your truck was built, but I have owned one each of the following generations that were built in Canada and sold new in the US. Built to US specs in Canada. So it may not have ever been "owned" in Canada before coming to the States.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:54 AM   #10
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4UC101969 View Post
I have this burning desire to find out the history of my truck, ie. who owned it and for how long. Here in Canada we get for each used vehicle a used vehicle package that keeps truck of your vehicles history like how many owners owned it and what was the mileage when vehicle changed owners each time.
So I got that package when I got the truck (sellers in Ontario, Canada by law must provide buyers with it) and my truck's history in Ontario only starts in 2012 and prior to 2012 it says it was in Virginia(mind you truck was originally built in Oshawa, Canada).

So my question is, will Virginia DMV have some kind of history for me or some kind of info on previous owners, and if they do would they talk to a Canadian about it and provide me with it? Any input on this conundrum will be much appreciated.
no such used vehicle package exists in this part of Canada.sellers here are not obligated to provide you with anything other than a bill of sale,a safety inspection done(if your province does safety inspections every 2 years like here in Nova Scotia) and a title.you're on your own.the seller,if it a dealer MAY provide a Carfax or some report like that but from an individual,forgot about it.i tryed to track down info about a 1932 ford i sold years ago but nobody would tell me anything because of privacy rules so i doubt the State of Virginia will tell you anything.you may get somewhere with GM Historical Services here in Canada since you have a Canadian built truck.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:05 AM   #11
72c20customcamper

Most states purge info on cars not having its registration renewed in 7 to 10 years . NY wont even let you renew if the plates are expired over 1 year . Need to return the plate and get new ones . Had to do this on a couple of cars lastly my chevelle during the rebuild I let the plates expire.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:47 PM   #12
May70

Good luck with the Virginia DMV. You cant get squat from them over the phone and thats assuming you can get an actual person on the phone. Even in-person they suck so wouldn't count on it.

Literally one of the worst run organizations you will ever deal with. Top down its horrible.

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #13
va72longhorn

Gotta agree with May70. I sold my first 67-72 to a guy who bought it as a graduation present for his deaf daughter who was graduating from Gallaudet University in DC, back in the 80’s. He lived in Northern Va. It was a factory 2wd 72 blazer. Tried to run it down back in the early 2000’s and got Absolutely no where with the Va DMV. I did, however, have a friend that was a local police officer who did a serial number check for me. Turns out the girl still had it and wouldn’t turn it loose.
va72longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote