The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2023, 07:22 PM   #1
easyrider

68 chrome side molding

I purchased a complete set of side molding for my 68 fleetside truck from a friend who decided not to use them. I found out later that it was for a long bed and my truck is a short bed. I've been told that it is all the same pieces except for the front of bed and the back of bed . I'm going to try to cut down the long bed molding to the correct size of the short bed moldings. Has anyone done this before? I want to make sure I don't mess it all up by cutting it wrong. Does anyone have the correct length of the long bed molding and the short bed molding? So, I can make sure this will work. And, is there anything that I need to watch out for in the tranformation? This is the last part of my restoration and I am anxious to start driving my truck but I want to make sure I don't rush things now that I am this close to being done. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 07:27 PM   #2
damnyankee36

Re: 68 chrome side molding

If you have this style of molding then you can cut the ends that attach to the wheel lip molding as they don't have the formed ends.

Now, the question is, can it be cut cleanly? I think you practice by cutting the very ends off with snips and try to sand the ends until you are clear of the distorted areas. If that works, cut them a little closer to desired length and do the final sanding again. A fine grit on a 12" bench sander might work.

I also have a long bed so I don't know the short bed dimensions. The ends overlap about 1/4-1/2". I don't believe it would be critical.
Attached Images

damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 08:13 PM   #3
mm1077

I cut down the long bed molding. I took my time, made careful marks and cut them with a fine tooth hacksaw. Filed the edges a little with a fine file and I think I had to manipulate the lip a little with a pair of dykes to get the pieces to fit together perfectly, but it was no problem. My truck isn’t super nice but I’d say the molding cut down turned out pretty darn good and wasn’t hard to do at all : )
Posted via Mobile Device
mm1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 08:32 PM   #4
damnyankee36

What was the TPI of the saw blade? 24? I think that's the finest I have ever seen.

I figured the aluminum would be so fragile just about any saw would just mutilate the ends.
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 10:42 PM   #5
mm1077

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnyankee36 View Post
What was the TPI of the saw blade? 24? I think that's the finest I have ever seen.

I figured the aluminum would be so fragile just about any saw would just mutilate the ends.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2023, 10:47 PM   #6
mm1077

Quote:

That sounds right on the blade. Didn’t come close to messing up the ends. I cut from the front facing side and when I got to the end I just sprayed a little wd-40 on the blade to make sure it didn’t get hung up. Cutting them was actually really easy, the part I had to be really careful on was trimming the little flange. One I cut the first one to length I just measured the leftover piece and used that measurement for the opposite side so the seam locations matched on each side of the truck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2023, 05:52 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Clamp the molding down between two blocks of wood. I have a wood top work bench and clamp a block on top. Clamp so just enough to make the cut sticks out. You can dress the cut up with a bastard file (if required) and sandpaper. Just go careful and slow like you would with a fine woman.

For length, tape the end pieces in place, tape trim on between, and mark

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 06:58 AM   #8
Joyridin

Quote:

They make a 32 and I once found a 48 tooth. I used the 48 tooth on SS molding. Not sure where I got them at though. You can get 32 off Amazon of maybe in your local Menards.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 03:48 PM   #9
easyrider

Thank you all for helpful comments . I'm a little nervous but I think I can get it done. Only thing better is if you all can stop by the shop and lend a hand.lol..
easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote