The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2021, 09:28 PM   #1
1972BackInBlackC10

Big Block Battery Cable

Does anyone have pictures of how the battery cable on a 1972 chev with a big block is ran from the starter to the battery?

Trying to route it the right way so it clears everything so looking for some pics or details on how it was routed from the factory
1972BackInBlackC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:03 PM   #2
mr.mud1

Re: Big Block Battery Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BackInBlackC10 View Post
Does anyone have pictures of how the battery cable on a 1972 chev with a big block is ran from the starter to the battery?

Trying to route it the right way so it clears everything so looking for some pics or details on how it was routed from the factory
i can take you some tomorrow unless someone helps out before i get to it.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:56 AM   #3
1972BackInBlackC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
i can take you some tomorrow unless someone helps out before i get to it.
Thanks id appreciate it
Old 09-06-2021, 10:15 PM   #4
mr.mud1

Hi,I couldn't get my truck on my lift to make you some pictures,there's a Chrysler Intrepid on there waiting for a starter that should arrive tomorrow so i rolled around on the floor to take some pictures that aren't very good and i'm sure they won't help you much.i did discover 2 tabs on the cable not attached to anything solid so i'm guessing someone replaced the cable and like a bunch of things i've discovered on this truck,only did it half assed.maybe someone else can chime in with better pictures for you,if not i'll get the truck up in the air and mount that cable like it's supposed to be and try again for some better pictures.take care.Greg
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2021, 06:36 AM   #5
1972BackInBlackC10

Awesome thanks greg , i think the bracket in the first pic attaches to the lower bolt on the motor mount. I have the same style clip attached to mine but i dont have the one mounted to the frame. Im not sure if theres supposed to be more than 2
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2021, 06:59 AM   #6
mr.mud1

hi,there's a second clip on my cable back over the crossmember,ahead of the starter that you can't see,but as i said,i'm hoping for a starter today and get the car on the lift,off so the truck can go back up and i'll try again.your frame looks great.i may haul the front clip off my truck this winter,put the 39 chrysler on hold and pull out the motor and trans on my truck to tidy it all up.we'll see.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:47 PM   #7
mr.mud1

hi,sorry for the delay,i've been too busy with some other cars to get my truck back on the lift to have a look at my battery cable to the starter and some more pictures as to how it's run.i don't have much more to add,there's not much room for pictures.my motor mount does not have that retainer you have to anchor the cable.i'm sure my positive cable has been replaced,the retainer chucked away and the tab that is on the cable to mount to the frame or motor mount was never done.the cable goes down to a retainer bolted to the frame,then follows down under the motor mount then right to the starter solenoid.hope that's a help or someone else can provide better pictures,maybe of a truck going together and the cable routed correctly?take care.
Attached Images