The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2021, 07:19 PM   #51
Zonaman

Re: Help With New Instrument Cluster, please

Okay. so I finally got my new dash cluster in and working. I might add that Brothers Truck Parts got the replacement unit out to me PDQ and picked up the shipping on the defective unit. Good on them!

Here's where it gets interesting. If you look at the attached photos you'll note that in addition to my shinny, new stock look dash cluster are a few images of what's left of the coli, rotor, and cap on my Accel Super Coil 140003. It's absolutely fried through! It had nothing to do with the new cluster other than I pulled a bit too much on the line to my oil pressure gauge when putting the new dash in and busted it at the block. I discovered my error about one minute and 1.5 quarts of oil after starting the engine! It was too hard to get at so I took the truck my go to garage and they discovered it when trying to get at the oil pressure line fitting. It had apparently been that way for quite some time. What really astounded all of us was that it managed to run quite well, with no (I mean zero) symptoms! Ever hear of anything like that?

I feel very lucky that this didn't manifest itself in the form of some catastrophe while I was rolling down the Loop 101, towing the boat to Bartlett Lake! Best 1/8 inch line failure I've experience to date.

I still need to fix the ammeter wiring but that will have to wait as I have appoint with the body & paint folks.
Attached Images

Last edited by Zonaman; 09-27-2021 at 07:29 PM.
Zonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:41 PM   #52
pjmoreland

Re: Help With New Instrument Cluster, please

Yikes! Well I'm glad to hear Brothers took care of you.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote