The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > WIW

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
doubleb's69

40 year old new tailgate.

Ok the posting title is a little off but if it wasn't for paint issues and some surface rust it would be darn near brand new looking. It came off of a truck that the owner put a camper in basicaly right after he brought it home. There is only one little ding below the handle mounting screws less than a dime around and about a 1/16" deep. It looks as if it had some brake fluid spilled on the upper driver side and it ate the paint. All rust is surface. The tailgate band suffered a bit on the end from sitting on the ground for 40 years. Also there are no bows in the gate. I don't know if I should keep it or sell it. I know there is a WIW page but this generates more traffic so give me your opinions on whether to sell or keep and WIW.
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
doubleb's69

Re: 40 year old new tailgate.

more
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
LakeAnna

I'm with RC... That gate looks like it would need very little work especially if it's straight. Someone needs it if you don't.

72 RESTO

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=501870
LakeAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
71swb4x4

In my opinion it is worth most in that condition, if you might sell it don't sand anything off or prime it, it will make it look like you have something to hide. In that shape people can at least see exactly what they are getting.

I think that's a $500 tailgate. There just aren't many OE tailgates in that condition out there. If the paint was perfect, you would be talking an $800 - $1,000 gate.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
doubleb's69

Thanks guys. I wasn't about to touch it. I thought about hanging it on the garage wall until I run across another truck because chances are good that anything I find will not be as nice as this, and it sure beats the heck out of reproduction and a ton of body work. Any more thoughts?

Last edited by doubleb's69; 01-28-2012 at 09:47 PM.
doubleb's69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
mr48chev

When we sold my grandfather's 69 longbed we got in the shed and dug out the tailgate that had been taken off the first week that he owned the truck when he put a canopy on it that had a full tailgate section with a door in it. As far as I know the tailgate never saw daylight again until we sold the truck a few years ago.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
sanford66

Thats for sure a wall hanger! And original paint too, what a find. I too would go along with the $500 figure. Nice to see that these finds are still out there. Joseph
1954 Delray 2-door sedan [rat rod project]
sanford66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

If it were mine, I'd keep it.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
litew8

wow, I seen the title and thought "hmm, lets see"... facinating - your story is identical to mine! But... I think mine is in a little better shape!
Found mine in rural Iowa, was in a barn since bought due to a camper being put on the truck. NOS You have the trim though!

I just have a "small" amount of surface rust, no dents or dings! -

edit: Just now realizing it's Bud from my home town. Small world! Nice score Bud!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #10
doubleb's69

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
wow, I seen the title and thought "hmm, lets see"... facinating - your story is identical to mine! But... I think mine is in a little better shape!
Found mine in rural Iowa, was in a barn since bought due to a camper being put on the truck. NOS You have the trim though!

I just have a "small" amount of surface rust, no dents or dings! -

edit: Just now realizing it's Bud from my home town. Small world! Nice score Bud!
I've probably ran into you in this giant city we live in ( sarcasm for all the people who do live in very large cities ) and never knew it. Did you get that gate off of Craigslist a year or two ago. It looks just like one that was posted on there and I have kicked myself for all this time for not getting off of my lazy butt and going to buy it. At least someone from the forum got it if its the same one. I'll have to come check out that truck of yours.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
fine69

Moved to proper section.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:41 AM   #12
litew8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleb's69 View Post
I've probably ran into you in this giant city we live in ( sarcasm for all the people who do live in very large cities ) and never knew it. Did you get that gate off of Craigslist a year or two ago. It looks just like one that was posted on there and I have kicked myself for all this time for not getting off of my lazy butt and going to buy it. At least someone from the forum got it if its the same one. I'll have to come check out that truck of yours.
Found it Aug, 2011. A nice guy named Todd in Madrid, IA. Not sure if it was posted before or not. Wish I would have kept my old tailgate (went to the scrap yard) to hang next to, or stand up beside, my 1956 jukebox.