The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
stevejohnson48

Re: 1989 GMC Sierra SportSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
Great build, I've always liked integrating parts from other vehicles(especially different makes and/or models), and I have a couple questions: How much room does the tilt/tele column mod take? Is the steering wheel closer to you now? Did the Vette wheel compensate any?

Is the auto down window mod in the switch, or is it a module that could be obtained from other cars that have it, and use the original(truck) switch?

Remote keyless entry: Is that a module too, hopefully? Do you have to find one with the key and doorlocks to match?

I own 3 of these vehicles and change parts around frequently, altho most of mine are simple upgrades from newer models of the same platform. I have done the rearview mirror, Hi-4 headlights, sunvisors (Chevy Astro IIRC), cupholder, Jeep lower column, Escalade wheels, some others on my DD Yukon, but you have taken it to a new level. Love the OEM low buck approach!

Planning on the hydroboost and brake upgrade soon also.

What about the stereo amp? Is that the whole unit that fits in the original dash opening without modification, or a separate unit that could be hidden anywhere?

Thanks for the info in your thread and keep us posted as you find more great mods!
// TennesseeZ // You say your Planning on the hydroboost and brake upgrade soon also.??/ Have you looked into this change over ??/ Cost, labor ECT. ??/ I've got a 90 Z 71 Silverado and I'm really interested in eliminating the brake fade ( Pulling trailers ) and I heard of this as a possible remedy for the brake reaction time that and disc brakes all the way around ( a lot more cash ) So the word is that this units ( Brake boosters ) came stock on the 1 1/2 ton models ??/
stevejohnson48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejohnson48 View Post
// TennesseeZ // You say your Planning on the hydroboost and brake upgrade soon also.??/ Have you looked into this change over ??/ Cost, labor ECT. ??/ I've got a 90 Z 71 Silverado and I'm really interested in eliminating the brake fade ( Pulling trailers ) and I heard of this as a possible remedy for the brake reaction time that and disc brakes all the way around ( a lot more cash ) So the word is that this units ( Brake boosters ) came stock on the 1 1/2 ton models ??/
The hydroboost is on the back burner at this time due to some other issues with the truck,m had to spend some & on the ignition, tires, and other stuff just to keep it on the road. Also have to get the ABS figured out first too. The light is on and the brakes as they are are negligibile. There's alot of info on the swap on other websites, and I think I'm gonna go with new or rebuilt parts from the get-go instead of doing the junkyard thing. Seems like the way to go for the money and work. Planning to go with the hydroboost and upgrade to the better calipers also, yes they were stock on the 1 tons and some HD 3/4 tons also IIRC, but I think it will be much simpler to just order the correct stuff foom O'reillys or somewhere and be done with it. There's plenty of info telling exactly what to order on the other message boards, even the part numbers and everything. Try fullsizechevy.com, and follow the links.

Yeah the brake fade is really something I should have addressed well before now. I personally don't plan to do the rear discs, seems like too much $ at this time. Some are working on adapting available parts (mounts) instead of custom fabbing them, which, if accomplished, will get the cost down and I might do it then if the cost/work/benefit factors are favorable. The front brakes do like 80-85% of the braking anyhow, so that's the place to concentrate first, to me.

Have you considered the Hi-4 headlites yet? A cheap and simple upgrade that should be right up your alley considering your electrical skills, and yeilds outstanding benefits for the work. I personally took it to another level by wiring in a toggle switch (mounted at the bottom of the dash near the parking brake release), so I can have either just the low beams, just the hi beams, or both. Has worked out well so far and is one of my favorite mods. Now maybe some auto-dimming headlights adapted from a Caddy or something?

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
c10sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
Have you considered the Hi-4 headlites yet? A cheap and simple upgrade that should be right up your alley considering your electrical skills, and yeilds outstanding benefits for the work. I personally took it to another level by wiring in a toggle switch (mounted at the bottom of the dash near the parking brake release), so I can have either just the low beams, just the hi beams, or both. Has worked out well so far and is one of my favorite mods. Now maybe some auto-dimming headlights adapted from a Caddy or something?
Both are on the to-do list.