The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
Big Daddy Bear

Something to tinker with...

Figured I should start a build thread on my next project, a 1992 Chevy 1500 W/T.

Picked it up a week ago, previous owner said it had "no compression" and was a non-runner. Pretty solid and rust-free body with only a few dents and dings.

Has been in some degree of a fender bender as it has a wrecking yard hood and a wrinkle in the top of the core support. I think the "damn-it" on the front of the fender is unrelated to what wrinkled the core support and cracked the grille, but can't say for sure.

The non-running condition has been identified as either blown head gasket(s) or cracked head(s). It still turns over, so was not overheated to the point of seizing-up the 4.3, but it will have a V-8 in some point down the road.

Here are some pictures to give an idea of what I am starting out with and other than the V-8 swap, the only real plan or direction at the moment is to shrink it from a long bed to a shorty.

I know that is going to bring out the nay-sayers, the "just buy a short-bedders" and such...but around here they are not cheap when they can be found or are 4x4's and I want a 2WD.

And, having less than $600.00 invested, which includes UHaul rental, fuel and title transfer, it is more than a cheap enough starting point to give this a go.

Here are some pictures of what I have accumulated this week. Will be a very slow project as I have lots of other commitments that will push this back, but sadly, that is how life goes...at least I am still in it!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Big Daddy Bear; 04-07-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Big Daddy Bear is offline   Reply With Quote