The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2022, 01:26 AM   #1
76JimmyBlue

'76 K25 brake issue

I am having a weird issue with the brakes in the '76. The brakes feel like they should be stiffer, but have not had a problem ever being able to stop the truck. However, occasionally when coming to a stop slowly and dragging the brakes I've had the pedal suddenly go to the floor. It happened one time recently where I was sitting at a stop light and felt the brake pedal suddenly lose pressure. One pump and it was back. Could it be air trapped in the system? The only other idea would be the master cylinder is going bad, it has occasionally wept fluid from between the m/c and the booster. Again this isn't a consistent issue of losing pressure on the pedal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
76JimmyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 08:05 PM   #2
jdaniel

Re: '76 K25 brake issue

sounds like the master is going bad! Block off the 2 ports and press the pedal, if you get movement the master is bad.
jdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 12:45 AM   #3
76JimmyBlue

I thinks so too. It was leaking again the other day. I want to try and rebuild the master, when I go looking for a rebuild kit what info would I need? She's a 3/4 ton, 4x4 camper special and according to the option list has the heavy duty braking system.
Old 08-31-2022, 09:20 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76JimmyBlue View Post
I thinks so too. It was leaking again the other day. I want to try and rebuild the master, when I go looking for a rebuild kit what info would I need? She's a 3/4 ton, 4x4 camper special and according to the option list has the heavy duty braking system.
That should be all you need to get started on searching for a kit. Manual/power versions might be diff as well (bore size).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 12:32 PM   #5
76JimmyBlue

I went to NAPA and they can't get the kit and they say the manufacturer doesn't make it anymore. Don't know which manufacturer it was. Any other places to look?
Old 09-18-2022, 10:36 PM   #6
Dead Parrot

Probably not enough demand for a DIY kit as most folks just buy a rebuilt MC.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:04 PM   #7
c30

You won't find a rebuild kit but here is what I did.
I want my truck to look as original as possible. When replacing the master cylinder, it seems all I could find was a big ole squared off looking thing that did not look at all like the original. Had a single bolt on cap instead of the two wire bales.
Knowing that the bore of my original was 1", I think, I ordered a master for the correct application with the same size bore. I disassembled both, honed out the original to clean it. Then reassembled the old master with the new innerds and it's been doing fine.
c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 01:05 AM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by c30 View Post
You won't find a rebuild kit but here is what I did.
I want my truck to look as original as possible. When replacing the master cylinder, it seems all I could find was a big ole squared off looking thing that did not look at all like the original. Had a single bolt on cap instead of the two wire bales.
Knowing that the bore of my original was 1", I think, I ordered a master for the correct application with the same size bore. I disassembled both, honed out the original to clean it. Then reassembled the old master with the new innerds and it's been doing fine.
Creative 'end around' solution. Kudos for thinking outside the lines.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote