The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2022, 09:23 AM   #1
cjohnson6772

Measuring Caster

Some background:
I have been looking the caster/camber gouges from Longacre or Amazon or DIY. I would like to have/make one of these setups and one of the hurdles is getting a set of turn plates which are expensive for a proper set or a cheap hacked solution like floor tiles with grease between them.

Caster is essentially measured by taking the difference between the camber values when the wheels are turned to the left a certain number of degree and the when the wheels are turned to the right the same amount. That is where the turn plates come in since this is almost always measured with weight on the suspension.

My question is this:
Even though the camber would be off with the frame on jack stands, would the difference in camber (i.e. caster) still be the same?

For those that are more interested, Hunter posted a white paper that derives alignment measurements and a good approximation for caster works down to caster = (180/pi) × (change in camber / change in steering angle). If using 20 degrees in both directions for steering angle, this works out to 1.43 x change in camber.
cjohnson6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:24 AM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Measuring Caster

I would assume no. If you want to work on your alignment with the frame on stands pull the springs and set the frame at ride height with the wheels on it.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 06:23 PM   #3
71cheyennesuperlongb

I read somewhere once that you can stack about a dozen sheets of wax paper, stacked together to make turn plates.You could make a grid on the floor before you start to get your turn angle the same side to side.
Old 12-23-2022, 12:02 PM   #4
Joyridin

I put soapy water on the floor under the tire (heavy on the soap). My alignment gauge says 15 degrees left, then 15 degrees right. I usually put tape on the floor at 15 degree marks.

I am not sure how accurate it is, but caster is usually a pulling/handling issue, not so much a tire wear issue. So as long as it is close and goes down the road straight without pulling, you are probably pretty good on these old trucks. If you are racing it, might want to take it to a shop.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote