The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2023, 01:37 PM   #1
PDW HOTRODS

vinyl velour or tweed seat

I'm trying to decide on upholstery for my 57 Chevy truck. Trying to decide from vinyl, velour, or tweed. Just wondering what everyone is using. I'm going to order a seat kit and these are what they offer so I'm not looking for leather.
I have installed upholstery kits before so installing is not a problem. I'm probably going to order from this place. Thanks.

https://raybuck.com/product/1954-195...pen-back-copy/
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 07:34 PM   #2
jweb

Re: vinyl velour or tweed seat

Probably not much help but, these all have trade offs. The vinyl looks best (my opinion) and it's easy to clean. It's terrible to sit on in the summer, especially if you don't have A/C.

I have spent several summers driving my '51 with a black vinyl seat. So I will put some type of cloth in my Suburban. I will be making my own covers, so I'm not limited to the standard tweed/velour.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 11:48 PM   #3
nvrdone

The original seat in my '49 was covered in black vinyl and you can imagine how hot it got in Sacramento in the summer with no a/c.
I finally switched seats for alot of reasons. The one I have now is a 3rd row out of an Astro van. Its covered in some sort of tweed fabric and is so much better to sit on. Still no a/c.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 03:35 AM   #4
mr48chev

I'd say itt comes down to your personal choice on how you want it to look and if you decide that the velour or tweed might be more comfortable for driving. Nvrdone and I live 17 or 26 or so miles apart depending on what road you take where the scenic route is actually the short route. We often see 100+ over here so seats you don't stick to or that don't burn your gal's legs are a plus. My wife carries towels in both of our cars with leather seats when it is hot and when the 71 runs she loves that velour 90 split bench seat.

Our area is flooded with tweed upholstery as a shop on Nevrdone's way into town has done so many tweed interiors in the last 37 years they lost count but you learn to spot the ones they did as they usually have monograms on the headrests.

You have to do a how you did it thread if you buy the covers and put them on your seat though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 10:34 AM   #5
dsraven

I had leather seats in a few vehicles over the years. where I live we get lows down to -35C and highs up to +35C, so a big spread. I found the leather hot in the summer and cold in the winter. in my latest daily driver I have downgraded the trim level so I have cloth seats with heaters. I find the seats are comfy as far as heat or cold but the trim level dictates a less comfy foam package under the cloth. too bad.
if it were me I would go with tweed as it stands the test of time, as far as style is concerned, and passes the comfort test. of course leather (or vinyl) is also a good choice for that too. what about a combo of leather (or vinyl) around the edges with cloth inserts?
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 01:18 PM   #6
PDW HOTRODS

I usually use vinyl, I have always had kids and it cleans up easy. I was thinking of using the tweed for the comfort when hot but I don't know if it would look too dated. I think the velour was popular in the 70's maybe, are all 3 popular?
Old 02-28-2023, 04:27 PM   #7
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDW HOTRODS View Post
I usually use vinyl, I have always had kids and it cleans up easy. I was thinking of using the tweed for the comfort when hot but I don't know if it would look too dated. I think the velour was popular in the 70's maybe, are all 3 popular?
The multicolor tweed always reminds me of an office chair. The black isn't too bad. I agree on the velour, reminds me of the 70's

See if they will send you a sample of the materials you're considering. It's always best if you can see them in person.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:24 PM   #8
_Ogre

I upholstered 58 TRUK in grey and gold ultra-suede at a little more than twice the cost of that kit. To keep cost down I used grey vinyl on the sides and back of the seats. Matching grey ultra-suede for the headliner and vinyl on the door panels and console. Custom upholstery allows you to fine tune the interior to a better look than the kits allow.
After a childhood of vinyl seats in vehicles, I'd never consider it for any vehicle or in my house. It'll peal the skin off on hot days and never warms up in the winter.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 10:22 PM   #9
PDW HOTRODS

I installed a new vinyl kit in my 55 Chevy 2 dr post and it looks and feels like leather. It's not like the vinyl in my 69 Camaro, it's more comfortable. Maybe the newer materials are a lot better than 50 years ago. I don't sew, but I can install the upholstery, so I'm looking for a kit. I do almost everything on my own cars if I can.