The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2023, 06:27 PM   #1
Hcb3200

quick connect o'ring in regulator corvette style issue

corvette style fuel filter regulator.
engine side with female 0'ring quick connect.

I took out the quick connect to tighten the connection and move the fuel hose to fuel rail to a better location.

put it back together and it started leaking at quick connect. directly inside regulator.
Pulled it out again and 5 orings came out.

How many are suppled to be in there?
seems odd.
any ideas how to put them back in ? how many etc.
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 06:40 PM   #2
Hcb3200

Re: quick connect o'ring in regulator corvette style issue

Here is picture with 3 of the 5
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2023, 02:42 AM   #3
mr48chev

"Corvette Style" doesn't" give us a lot go go on as far as information goes.

What engine, What year is the engine Or alleged Corvette?, Part number on the regulator? I'm not trying to be cute or what not here but we need complete and good information for anyone to actually be able to answer or point you in the right direction to someone who has the answer.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 09:37 AM   #4
Hcb3200

Universal LS Swap Fuel Pressure Regulator Filter Kit - Compatible with C5 Corvette

GF822, 10299146, 19239926, 33737

Its running a 6.0 LS engine. In the 56, 3200

We had used these before. I was replacing it because of pressure increases as well as re-routing some fuel lines. The pressure increases over time is a known issue with these if running larger pumps which I am not but its location had a high heat area causing it to start to fail is my guess.

The new one had a 6an to quick connect adapter in it. When I took it out a pile of o'rings came out with it.

I got another one late yesterday from the local parts store.
Inside that vendor model it has two o'rings sandwiched between two plastic pieces held in place by the internal quick connect release. it works much better. and holds under pressure. it does leak if I move the fitting around while under pressure. I am confident replacing the quick connect fitting will solve that issue. Some are known to not have the correct radius they should.

The first new one did not have the two plastic pieces when it came apart.
The original one I took off the fitting is seized in and will not even spin. Plan on taking that one apart later to see what it has inside.

Mr48 thanks for joining in I knew you would i value you expertise greatly.
I was a little irritated when I put in the first post and was light on my details.

Last edited by Hcb3200; 03-06-2023 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:42 AM   #5
dsraven

I've never looked down inside because I've not had the opportunity to need to. I am usually just replacing a filter so the old one, thats generally leaking fuel, gets dumped in the drain bucket. possibly you could just get a peak at a new one and go from there if you were inclined to replace the O rings-assuming those fuel O rings are available, or replace the filter. if it leaked i would say an O ring is cut or damaged somehow or there was strain on the fuel line so the line didn't want to stay inline with the filter connection. I personally wouldn't take the chance on a previously leaky filter with a possibly replaced O ring. I've been to too many car fires in my carreer to chance that. i know, filters are not cheap, but a possibly leaky filter is a big hazard.
mr48, here is a link from the summit site on the corvette style fuel filter regulator. it is basically a filter installed downstream of the fuel pump and it has a built in pressure regulator set at 58 psi (I think). it has a fuel inlet, outlet and a smaller sized return line.
https://help.summitracing.com/app/an...fuel-system%3F
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 09:57 AM   #6
dsraven

curious, is this a used set up or a new set up? if used there may have been an honest error when a previous filter was changed and an O ring from a previous filter was stuck to the steel line and inadvertently pushed into the new filter when the steel line was inserted.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:02 AM   #7
dsraven

here is a link to a thread here with a cutaway of the filter and some chat on pressure variations with new filters and also how the lines connect. scroll down for the cutaway pics
if a stock engine the pressure differences that can happen wouldn't be a big deal. on a high horsepower engine the pressure differences would be a big deal as well as the restrictive fuel line size (3/8). big hp engines would likely need a larger fuel line size to supply enough fuel, especially on long fuel line runs and if hose is used instead of steel lines (there is friction loss inside a rubber hose compared to steel lines).
https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=699891
Old 03-06-2023, 12:31 PM   #8
Hcb3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
curious, is this a used set up or a new set up? if used there may have been an honest error when a previous filter was changed and an O ring from a previous filter was stuck to the steel line and inadvertently pushed into the new filter when the steel line was inserted.
This was the brand new filter replacing the old one. When I put the new on it was leaking bad. So I pulled the quick connect to maybe reseat and see what was going on. out came the oring pile.

I went and replaced the whole thing again with a new one.
Old 03-07-2023, 01:49 AM   #9
dsraven

curious, did that fix the problem, no more leaks?
I have had a few leak issues with quick connect fittings on different brand vehicles over the years. mostly due to the previous filter installer not lining things up well, so the quick connect was strained in a non straight on plane.
Old 03-07-2023, 10:33 AM   #10
Hcb3200

Replacing whole thing did solve the leak issue.

You are correct on the quick connects not being lined up does cause leaks. if they are forced and held of center I have seen them leak in the past. Not leaking now as they are straight.

I always make them line up and then usually zip tie them to make sure they don't shift as much. if they are not OEM parts. I have found OEM parts tend to work just fine and all the "adapters" seem to have leak issues if they are not lined up. must be who makes them not following strict standards. hmmm