The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2023, 08:45 PM   #1
hogfarm

54 Chey Truck Painted Grill

I have decided to try and paint the grill on my 54,but did not want to paint the Chrome grill I have now ( in case I don't like it ) But so far I have not been able to find any vendor that offers a painted grill. I have called a few and all have told me that painted grills are no longer available. Any input would be helpful
hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:32 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 54 Chey Truck Painted Grill

I'm thinking you would have to find an original painted grill.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:43 PM   #3
e015475

I bought an original painted grill from Joe Mendola in Tucson a few years ago - he's got quite a stash of AD parts.

He posts occasionally on classicparts.com.

He goes by DeadZoneTruckin or Mother Trucker.

Here's the last post I've seen from him- you might try PMing him from there.

https://talk.classicparts.com/thread...8/#post-119039

FWIW - he told me when he sold me my painted grill that a lot of guys that want to replate an original grill look for painted grills because the lines come out crisper than replating a chrome one

e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 04:11 PM   #4
mr48chev

There is no way I would paint the grill you have it now. That is probably one of the most perfect 54 Chevy truck chrome grills on the planet.

The truck is real close to perfect as it sits though. I'd have to say that in some ways it is too clean and simple and unless you know what you are looking at you don't see a lot of the details in it. In an indoor show judged by qualified judges with judging sheets it will score high but award pickers at Saturday car shows don't seem to notice it because it isn't gaudy or flashy.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 09:58 PM   #5
hogfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
There is no way I would paint the grill you have it now. That is probably one of the most perfect 54 Chevy truck chrome grills on the planet.

The truck is real close to perfect as it sits though. I'd have to say that in some ways it is too clean and simple and unless you know what you are looking at you don't see a lot of the details in it. In an indoor show judged by qualified judges with judging sheets it will score high but award pickers at Saturday car shows don't seem to notice it because it isn't gaudy or flashy.
Thanks Mr48 I value your opinion. I do not plan on painting the grill that is on my truck, was looking for another one to paint, But I did want to make some changes. I have done an engine swap , from 350-383 with a lot of shinny stuff. I did not like the 2 1/2" over stock rear fender width That is almost complete. I have upgraded the A/C and heat.And a new stereo system. Still would like to go get the walnut tree and fabricate the bed wood, but to much snow,so I will probably run out of time and just restain what I have. I am building another small house on my property, for just me and my wife. and spring time is coming, I need to finish the truck in about a month
hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 06:55 AM   #6
mongocanfly
Post Whore

i looked on ebay..
theres one repop chrome grill for many $$$$...WOW
and one rusty one for considerably less..but no shipping
ive got a painted one, that im pretty sure i wont use..
im gonna change mine to the 5 bar grill

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 10:27 AM   #7
dsraven

personally, I think dark colored vehicles look great with some bling on them. not over the top, just subtle amounts to accent. I have also seen some dark vehicles with no bling, just accented with lighter colors, and they have caught my eye as well. I am usually not super impressed with the all dark vehicle, with dark windows, dark wheels, dark headlights, bumpers, door handles, etc etc. yep, they look like a menacing shadow that maybe batman drives, and they are cool, I'm just not personally drawn to them. to each their own. I would say, though, that if you want a painted grill you should find one you like and paint it. just keep the good original chrome one hanging on the wall of the shop or stored somewhere. it would be a shame to paint a good original chrome grille.
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:14 PM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Your truck is stunning. I totally agree with you on over the top blacking out. I like some chrome with my black. I have thought instead of all the chrome maybe grey instead would look pretty good. I remember back quite aways there was a fella that did his 55 sedan with orange (ish) body and then he brushed all the chrome and stainless. That might be a cool look on these trucks. Not really chrome, but not paint.

You obviously have good esthetic taste so no matter what you do I bet its going to be nice.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote