The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
67gmcstepside

Re: Cowl water drainage holes - where are they

thank you very much. A pic will go a long way. Last night in the dark I felt around inside the vent hole and it felt like ther PO patched the area with roof cement. I probally will have to dig it out.
67gmcstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Cowl water drainage holes - where are they

If you jack the side of the truck up and look under the fender you will see the gap where all the water runs out at. You shouldn't have any problem finding it at all if it's closed up as you say then yea the water will spill over to the cab.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
mpotts64

I put a 12" metal blade on a sawzall and reached in through the door and cut the whole bottom out of that box, now, leaves, pinestraw, etc fall right on through, no holding water and it works well

When asked why I work on old trucks, I tell them: Been married 27 years, sons are pretty much gone, don't like the wife anymore and don't have a girlfriend, so, gotta do something, the old trucks are cheaper and less drama than a girlfriend -
mpotts64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
treveiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpotts64 View Post
I put a 12" metal blade on a sawzall and reached in through the door and cut the whole bottom out of that box, now, leaves, pinestraw, etc fall right on through, no holding water and it works well
I'm trying to picture it, do you have any pics?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
mpotts64

I have not taken pics of it but I can, it was not hard at all to do, just open the door and go in the opening between the fender and door post of the cab, between the hinges, start close to the side and cut up and out until you run out of metal, when you open the door and look in, you can see the box, just don't cut the side out of the cab,

now, I must say, I do not know about the all the factory a/c setups on these trucks, but I think I heard someone say the side panel vent is actually a recirculation vent for the factory a/c, maybe someone can confirm this, if so, you probably do not want to cut that box

When asked why I work on old trucks, I tell them: Been married 27 years, sons are pretty much gone, don't like the wife anymore and don't have a girlfriend, so, gotta do something, the old trucks are cheaper and less drama than a girlfriend -
mpotts64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
dfwright

Here's a picture of mine I took while I was repairing rust. You can see the drain hole in the back corner. Ignore the giant rectangular hole, as I was cutting out rusted metal there --- but you can see the triangular drain hole in the corner.
Attached Images

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote