The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2021, 09:30 PM   #1
BT Classics

Question Delco-Remy Horn Repair

Had an issue with the horn button on a wood grant steering wheel. I solved that issue (hopefully - if the horn cap stays on). Now I discovered that only one horn works. I pulled the top horn and tried to play with the adjustment screw. Got it to blow for less than a second and it went back to clicking. (I tried it both on and off the truck.)

-Is there any way to repair/ rebuild the horn?

-How can I tell if this is a "high" or a "low" note horn? (I'm guessing low because the other seems to be quite high pitched already.)

-If I have to look for a replacement, what years/ models will fit a 1972 C10? I.e Any other GM product interchange. I quickly looked for OEM replacements and there were horns starting at $5.00 but all seemed to have a generic bracket. I'm not necessarily concerned with originality, but the less bending I have to do the better!

Thanks.
Attached Images

BT Classics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:29 AM   #2
lil hoodlum

Re: Delco-Remy Horn Repair

I have a set of high note and low note on my C10. If I recall correctly the either have a H for high note or a L for low note on the plastic housing.

Recently one of my horns went dead, but I recall some people saying to spray WD-40 in the nonworking horn and letting it set for awhile and then draining the WD-40 out and sometimes the horn will work again. My guess crap builds up inside the horn and it will stop working.

Classic industries lists a set or High & low note horns in their cateloge, but the price is like $250 or so keeping me away from purchasing new "factory correct" ones.

1968 C20 327, 4 speed manual, LWB stock height custom camper with heavy duty leaf springs rear, 50th anniversary edition. Hoping to press into daily drive status soon.
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #3
BT Classics

Mine was a metal housing. The replacements I saw appeared to be plastic housings. I don't recall seeing any letter but I can look again. I tried blowing it out if the diaphragm was stuck. No luck. Wasn't sure how hard it was to take apart.

Even the classic industry "GM service replacement horn for use on 1955-1996 models" have a generic bracket and a different style connector. (And not cheap)

I figured horns would be one of the real easy to find items!
Old 09-13-2021, 10:45 AM   #4
Grumpy old man

This may help , There are better videos on youtube but this will give you an idea on rebuilding your originals .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1kMJIKSEQc

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:39 AM   #5
BT Classics

Yeah, that process doesn't look very fun!
I haven't had much luck finding an original. I looked at ones for GM cars in the same era and they all seem to use different brackets/ different style horn with the flat side. For the cost I'll order aftermarket to use for now. A working horn is better than none!
Old 09-14-2021, 12:45 AM   #6
FirstOwner69

This may be worth looking into. Not cheap though.

https://www.carhornrestoration.com/
Old 09-14-2021, 01:06 AM   #7
BT Classics

Thanks 69. Ouch - $219.00 to rebuild.
Actually, getting a replacement diaphragm was my concern if I was to open it up and found it was bad. But it did give me an idea. I wonder if the guts of the cheap replacement could be swapped into the original housing? That might be a project down the road when I have nothing better to do - ha! I doubt anybody will be looking at the horns. It's not like it is a concourse restoration.