The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
ssuesens

Temp Sending Unit Question - I'm stumped

I'm attempting to get the OE temp gauge working on my 71 C10 (350). The PO had installed an underdash gauge set that I removed. I then installed a new AC Delco G1852 (pn 12334869) temp sending unit into the motor. The PO also cut the terminal off the green wire and I am trying to determine what the physical connector to the sending unit looks like. (Anyone have a picture or a source?) I tried using a standard female blade connector but the gauge isn't working properly (It Pins to HOT). I know the gauge functions because when I touched the bare wire to different parts of the sending unit the needle moves erratically.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by ssuesens; 03-18-2014 at 05:20 PM.
ssuesens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: Temp Sending Unit Question - I'm stumped

The original GM part number for the gauge sending unit was #1513321. The G1852 / 12334869 unit you bought is the current GM service replacement and I believe it uses the same type of connector as the original. Should look like this:

The terminal is a female Packard 56 series and fits into a plastic connector housing that has a slot in the side. That allows it to slide sideways over the "nail head" terminal on the sending unit.

A quick way to test the gauge & wiring is to temporarily disconnect the sending unit wire. With the key on and the wire disconnected, the temp gauge should read cold. Temporarily grounding the sending unit wire (with the key on) should cause the gauge to peg to the full hot position. If your gauge is pegged hot all the time, carefully examine the sending unit wire looking for a spot where it has rubbed and shorted to ground.

Last edited by ray_mcavoy; 03-18-2014 at 05:39 PM.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
FirstOwner69

If you can't find a connector in the junkyard, here's a source. This place has anything you need to duplicate all the factory connections. I'm not sure why yours reads too hot unless you have the wrong sending unit.

http://www.repairconnector.com/produ...Connector.html
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:47 PM   #4
Hawghauler

You can just run a jumper wire from the sending unit then to the gauge and see if it still pegs it. If it doesn't, it confirms a short somewhere. The meter is controlled by the ground through the sending unit. If it grounds anywhere else it will max the gauge.

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote