The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #30
mrein3

Re: Truck Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
I found a paper in my truck from a few years ago when I went to a car show and wieghted the truck on a Highway Scale. With me, my wife and couple of suitcases in the truck box it weighted 2882 pounds on the front tires and 1914 pounds on the rear tires for a total of 4796 pounds. I didnt realize out trucks were that heavy and that is one of the reasons it is hard to get good gas mileage from our trucks, especially with original drivetrains in them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Actually I was surprised when I had my truck weighed for "tear weight" at a rock and gravel pit. What surprised me is when I had that information I looked up what my friend's (then) modern 1994 pick-up weighed in at. I was over 1500 pounds LIGHTER than his rig.

What gives them better mileage is computer controlled engine management systems that continually changes the fuel mixture based on what the computer is reading from various sensors. Also what helps is overdrive transmissions. I would wager to say that if you put a modern V8 and most importantly all its computer controls into a 1972, put a computer controlled auto or better yet a manual with overdrive, you would get VERY close to a modern truck's gas mileage.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote