The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2024, 08:51 PM   #1
R.O.B.

My truck is not "squared"

I've been playing with this truck for well over a year now and I just noticed something. From the floor to the top of the fender wheel opening on the drivers side is 33". And on the passenger side, 32". I've tried to measure from floor to the frame in multiple places and all seems fine. And now I've noticed that my driver front wheel is about .25" tire to outside fender opening. While the passenger side is a good 1".

I've tried looking around, nothing seems bent, or looks like a previous accident. I can say, when I first towed it home, the passenger door would catch on the fender. I had to adjust the door to make it work. Also looks like my cab mounts are shot, as the side lines don't match cab to bed.

Could it just be bad cab and core support bushings? Can someone point me in a direction to investigate? Again, nothing appears bent.

Rob
R.O.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:07 PM   #2
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Re: My truck is not "squared"

Welcome to the GM lean.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:19 PM   #3
dmjlambert

Those are acceptable tolerances.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 12:15 AM   #4
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.O.B. View Post
I've been playing with this truck for well over a year now and I just noticed something. From the floor to the top of the fender wheel opening on the drivers side is 33". And on the passenger side, 32". I've tried to measure from floor to the frame in multiple places and all seems fine. And now I've noticed that my driver front wheel is about .25" tire to outside fender opening. While the passenger side is a good 1".

I've tried looking around, nothing seems bent, or looks like a previous accident. I can say, when I first towed it home, the passenger door would catch on the fender. I had to adjust the door to make it work. Also looks like my cab mounts are shot, as the side lines don't match cab to bed.

Could it just be bad cab and core support bushings? Can someone point me in a direction to investigate? Again, nothing appears bent.

Rob
I'm sure some of that is correctable with new cab and core mounts but maybe not all of it may just be nature of the beast.

As an example on an off topic car. When I did a body off build on my 40 Ford Coupe I purchased a copy of the original frame dimensions put out by Ford Engineering back then.

Using a string line right down the middle as a datum line I checked and rechecked every dimension on that drawing and everything was pretty much spot on, I had a good straight frame.

After assembly my right rear tire sets 5/8" deeper inward on the fender. I back tracked and double checked spring mounting locations, fenders, brake backing plate offsets, you name it and can't pin point for any reason why I have this offset.

The car is 84 years old now and you think our old chevy trucks had "Blacksmith" tolerances back then...try an old car that had zero adjustments in them.

It's just the nature of the beast and no one even notices. Can't see both sides at the same time anyway.

Get what you can with mounts and adjustments then drive the wheels off of it
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 02:07 AM   #5
lil hoodlum

[QUOTE=R.O.B.;9301851] And now I've noticed that my driver front wheel is about .25" tire to outside fender opening. While the passenger side is a good 1".

Just wondering if maybe your front end is out of alighnment, i.e., tie rods not correct camber/ caster off?

1968 C20 327, 4 speed manual, LWB stock height custom camper with heavy duty leaf springs rear, 50th anniversary edition. Hoping to press into daily drive status soon.
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 11:44 AM   #6
kwmech

I got a set of 4 rims one time and just one of the rims was mis-boxed with a different offset
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 02:06 PM   #7
R.O.B.

Wow, I'll double check it. Otherwise, I will do what I can to "move" it, and just live with it.
R.O.B. is offline   Reply With Quote