The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
ghettoluxury

frame pics of slammed trucks with gooseneck balls

Thinking of makin a crew lay frame and would like to see pics of frame work with goosenecks since I will still need to pull my trailer

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Re: frame pics of slammed trucks with gooseneck balls

We did have a post with some good pics. I will see if I can find it.
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
ghettoluxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvblazer78 View Post
We did have a post with some good pics. I will see if I can find it.
thanks tvblazer. I tried the suspension forum with no luck.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
ghettoluxury

Anybody?

Old 06-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Allow me to throw in my .02 on the subject.

First off, slammed truck, well they just look cool.

But they aren't very practical. That is just the honest truth. If you do nothing but stick to your little ville and never travel far, and have good flat wide open roads where you live, then you may be able to live happily with a slammed dually, and tow your trailer all day long and rarely have an issue.

However, paving companies have a really bad habit of making less than perfect roads, and governments have an even worse track record of replacing them before they are absolutely crumbling.

And understand where I am coming from, I am a Former OTR driver with over 500,000 miles behind me in big trucks, running loads as wide a 14' and as heavy as 148,000 lbs! Believe me when I tell you that I know a thing or two about towing.

You want to lower your truck a little, great, do it with air bags, and make sure if you notch the frame that it is welded solid, and that you box it in fore and aft of the notch, because if you don't, you are going to have issues. As well, you can build a goose neck ball mount right into the top of your bridge. It will work well. but you will need to again make sure everything is structural.

For myself I have an 85 3+3 Camper special Dually, I am not going to slam it, I am going to however put air ride on it, and I will not notch my frame or disrupt my bed floor, why? because I want to be able to use my truck like a truck, I am going to make it work!

Air ride is a great thing to do to a truck, it will for one make it ride better, and it will give you the ability to carry weight in a more controlled manner. Soon I will be jumping into this build pretty hard, stuffing a Cummins in the truck, and installing the air ride in a setup that is built specifically for towing. Because when done my truck will have to handle the 50' long triple axle goose neck flat bed trailer I am building to pull behind it.

I did find a picture of a truck that I really like.

This truck is functional, it looks damn good with out being lowered, it has panache! and it could easily go to work with out having to worry about getting high centered coming out of a parking lot!

I promise you this though, if you make your truck functional you will enjoy it much more. To make my point for me, that slammed dually in the first pic I posted was owned and built by a guy who goes by the name of "drag nasty" he has since sold it.

That being said, instead of taking the time and effort to make your truck into a slammed truck, why not make it into a functional truck that is a pleasure to use and drive!
Old 06-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Eh...everyone's entitled to an opinion.

It can be done. Lot's of guys do it with nary and issue. Build it the way you want it.

You can also check out www.duallyscene.com for more info.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
pig rig

my truck is lowered and I drive it like a truck with or with out a trailer and I know several guys that tow with lowered trucks cross country so to each his own.

and to set the record strait chase aka dragnasty didnt sell his truck because he wasnt happy with it or he couldnt use it like a truck it was sold to help with the down payment on his house

hey getto go to dually scene and look around in the builds theirs lots of pictures of gooseneck ball jobs

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/ph...ped_detail.JPG
pig rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
ghettoluxury

Red face Re: frame pics of slammed trucks with gooseneck balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
Allow me to throw in my .02 on the subject.

First off, slammed truck, well they just look cool.But they aren't very practical.
You want to lower your truck a little, great, do it with air bags, and make sure if you notch the frame that it is welded solid, and that you box it in fore and aft of the notch, because if you don't, you are going to have issues. As well, you can build a goose neck ball mount right into the top of your bridge. It will work well. but you will need to again make sure everything is structural.
I promise you this though, if you make your truck functional you will enjoy it much more.
That being said, instead of taking the time and effort to make your truck into a slammed truck, why not make it into a functional truck that is a pleasure to use and drive!
MRBEAST, my fabrication skills are not in question here I have been Building custom vehicles for the past 10 years. I was just lookin for pics so that I could begin bouncing ideas in my head, that being said if a vehicle is being built for a specific purpose than it is a functional vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCampbell View Post
Eh...everyone's entitled to an opinion.

It can be done. Lot's of guys do it with nary and issue. Build it the way you want it.

You can also check out www.duallyscene.com for more info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pig rig View Post
my truck is lowered and I drive it like a truck with or with out a trailer and I know several guys that tow with lowered trucks cross country so to each his own.

and to set the record strait chase aka dragnasty didnt sell his truck because he wasnt happy with it or he couldnt use it like a truck it was sold to help with the down payment on his house

hey getto go to dually scene and look around in the builds theirs lots of pictures of gooseneck ball jobs

Jason and pig rig thanks for the info like i said lookin for ideas

Old 06-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Hey Matt.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoluxury View Post
Jason and pig rig thanks for the info like i said lookin for ideas
Roger that. Check out the site. Lot's of helpful, knowledgeable and experienced guys to help you on your way.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:25 PM   #11
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
MRBEAST, my fabrication skills are not in question here I have been Building custom vehicles for the past 10 years. I was just lookin for pics so that I could begin bouncing ideas in my head, that being said if a vehicle is being built for a specific purpose than it is a functional vehicle.
Man I wasn't trying to knock you, I don't know you from Adam. I gave you my honest opinion from my view point. Oh, and I posted pictures, something no one else did.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:14 AM   #12
ghettoluxury

Quote:
Man I wasn't trying to knock you, I don't know you from Adam. I gave you my honest opinion from my view point. Oh, and I posted pictures, something no one else did.
sorry dude just struck a nerve there. thanks for your opinion and the pics now it's time to sit back and have a

Old 06-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
sorry dude just struck a nerve there. thanks for your opinion and the pics now it's time to sit back and have a
It is no biggie man, and don't get me wrong, I love the look of a slammed crew cab dually sitting on some big semi wheels. And I want to take a minute to further explain why I made the argument that I did.

I used to drive a 4 Axle heavy haul Pete with a 4 Axle Hydraulic Detach RGN Double Drop Lowboy, I could stuff about 100,000 lbs in the Well and chuck on down the road and a blistering speed of 45-50 MPH. The trailer fully loaded had a ground clearance of about 6"-7" All of the time pulling in and out of driveways and parking lots the biggest problem was setting the trailer down on the ground.

Now, I did on this truck have a valve I could use to lift the truck and trailer via the air ride, and help get over these obstacles, but none the less it made it much more difficult to get in and out of places, even when the trailer was empty, so you can imagine what a chore it was when the trailer had a 13' wide Grove Crane on it that weighed in at 98,000 lbs!

I was always lucky that I never got the truck hung up so bad I couldnt get it out, but that wont always be the case, last year I was working in the office at a crane company here and one of our drivers got our RGN high centered in a Walmart parking lot, I had to jump in a winch truck and boogie out there, and by the time I got there highway patrol had already called a rotational wrecker to pull him clear, Luckily for us I got there before the wrecker did, and I pulled him free with the winch truck. The wrecker driver informed us had I not showed up when I did that he would have written us a bill for over a grand.

Another bad experience I had was on my old KW that I used to own, I was booking down a road in Iowa, went over a set of train tracks doing 65 mph and managed to rip 4 of the 60" stainless steel polished show boxes off spilling their contents everywhere, and severely damage 3 of the ones that remained on the truck. The boxes cost 695.00 each or so. Normally I wouldn't make such a stupid mistake but it was 3AM. That night cost me over 8 grand because a lot of stuff was destroyed, and some of it was lost.

This is the truck after I hit the boxes, I never even got a photo of it with them all on there.

This is what I wound up doing with it to get some ground clearance. Before everywhere I went with it I had clearance issues.

Also something you might get a kick out of is this here.

These are the trailers I am building to pull behind my 85 Dually,

Both are going to have air ride suspension and hydraulic tilt decks with hydraulic winches, they will be great for pulling cars, especially the Triple axle, because I will be able to get 2 at a time when impounding. Also I will be able to haul motor homes and other such medium duty vehicles on it which will help make some money too.

Also just for show N' tell here are the wheels I am putting on it, they are a 19.5" 8 lug.

I am going to wrap them in a set of Michelin XDS2's They are a really awesome set of tires, I had em on my Semi, well the XDN2's but they are the 19.5" version, they were great tires, on my Semi they wound up with over 380,000 miles on em before it had to get re shooed. I will be ticked pink if I can get 100K plus out of em. Also the 19.5's on a pickup are supposed to give you a couple of MPG. I figure between that and the Cummins my pocket book should get a little relief because with the 468 Big block in there now it is getting 9.25 MPG, loaded, unloaded, up hill or down hill, so anything is going to be an improvement.

By the way, you should post some pics of yours!
Old 06-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #14
Keith Seymore

Quote:
I had to laugh when I saw that picture: my kid (23 year old) has that same pic as the screen saver on his Blackberry -

I was excited to see it "full size"...

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 06-19-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
enaberif

Quote:
I want that under bumper valance!
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #16
EJC78
No Life Like Low Life

http://www.streetsource.com/forum/us...x?id=bdydrppup

Cool Link
1965 Buick Riviera GS
2011 GMC Sierra Denali

Last edited by EJC78; 06-19-2009 at 05:22 PM.
EJC78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #17
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #18
ghettoluxury

thanks guys

Old 06-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #19
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
JC Whitney Carries em
Old 06-24-2009, 01:09 AM   #20
Tow Me
Glen

Man that is heavy duty ****!
Tow Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #21
pig rig

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/ph...ped_detail.JPG
pig rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #22
Scootin 81 C20
3/4 Ton Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Me too! Any idea of where I could get one? My local JC Whitney doesn't have it.

Thanks
Benjamin.

1989 Chevy Silverado K2500: All Stock (For Now), 350 TBI/700R4. DD/Light Duty Toy.

Last edited by Scootin 81 C20; 06-28-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Scootin 81 C20 is offline   Reply With Quote