The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #1
wlt3355

Confused about Front coil spring debate

1972 C10 Front coils

I ordered a new set of the MOG-6082 and was having my mechanic rebuild my front end. He called me to come look at the differences between the springs, and the new springs were about an inch shorter than the old ones, and the diameter was smaller than the original.
He called his parts department and they said that part would fit a Camaro and not a pickup, so they ordered more springs.
I contacted Summit about this part and was advised it was the right part and the old ones would naturally be taller because they have lost tension over these last 45 years, which did not seem to make sense.

I am confused as to which story is correct, any ideas?
wlt3355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
WB72
Before and After

Re: Confused about Front coil spring debate

I have never heard of springs getting longer during time. Usually just the opposite.
66,000 miles.
Alberta, CANADA
WB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
davepl

I guess it makes a modicum of sense that if a spring is compressed for 40 years it'll get shorter, so a spring that's stored with no resistance on a shelf for 40 years might get longer over time.

That doesn't explain a different in coil wire diameter though... it sure won't get skinnier over time!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
B. W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB72 View Post
I have never heard of springs getting longer during time. Usually just the opposite.
X2 - Gotta laugh at that one! The person you talked to is blowin' smoke!
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #5
Trevor

OP;
Parts-guy speak (translation); "let's just feed this guy a line of bull**** and hope he buys into it (and our wrong product) and hope that by the time he finds out that I'm actually a complete idiot it'll be much too late for me to give a rats ass !"

Much like the often-spewed line; "oh there's no such thing as (fill in the) _______!" when they don't happen to have a particular part in stock and are too lazy to bother to look into it.

Coil springs don't grow ! They have a "free-length", so a lighter-rate spring will have a slightly longer/taller height than it's heavier-rate counterpart when compared side-by-side (before installation, before initial sag).
Coil diameter (overall diameter) will be the same regardless of spring rate, it's the wire diameter and number of coils that varies according to spring rate for a given vehicle and it's specs. (heavy vs light duty, half vs three-quarter ton) and yes over time coils do sag but surprisingly very little and at a surprisingly even amount from spring to spring.

I personally don't believe most of what most (uneducated) parts guys spew !

Last edited by Trevor; 04-22-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #6
wlt3355

Thanks guys, lot of good info
Old 04-22-2017, 09:15 PM   #7
cleanfreak

The 6082 is the lighter spring in a lot of listings , smaller wire diameter , not a Camaro spring , I have used them many times. As long as they were not boxed wrong , they are fine to use , sit a bit lower than the hd ones.

But Trevor wont believe this...I'm just an un-educated parts guy.... -

Your springs may have been boxed wrong , but a quick check of specs as firedemon suggested will show that.
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:38 AM   #8
tsetsaf

I love Summit parts workers! You were better off calling the local McDonald's for feedback. Last time I bought from them I ordered a windshield, keyword is "a". Stop by the Sparks location to pick it up and the box has two windshields in it. I pointed out the mistake and the guy, kid you not, scans the outside bar code and says "well the part number is right". I have a free spare windshield...
Old 04-23-2017, 08:21 AM   #9
wlt3355

Overall, I actually have had pretty good results with Summit, but I think this was the first time I actually called back in to discuss a matter.

Everything I have seen is that was the right part number for regular duty springs, but it certainly was not the same size as the one coming off, makes me wonder if the old one was a HD or possibly an oversize spring or it was packages wrong, either way I do not think :they grow taller with age" as he suggested.

Thanks again guys for you input.