The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2017, 11:41 PM   #1
saxart

Is Chevy engine paint color the same as Hugger Orange?

I'm going to be painting my crate engine with an enamel out of a gun (with hardener) Is the orange for our engines the same as Hugger Orange?
Old 04-01-2017, 11:47 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Is Chevy engine paint color the same as Hugger Orange?

no
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:31 AM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Here's some info. I just found, guy looking for "Chevy Orange Engine"..........Can't speak for years though:

My father is an NCRS judge, and we have done extensive resorations on many corvettes.
I can tell you for a fact the absolute closest match to the factory color is in an aerosol.
The absolute best match to Chevrolet Orange is made by Plasti-kote.
You can go on plasti-kote.com and punch in your zip code..and it will bring up the closest location to whos selling it.
Heres a link to the product website:

Here's another link: The Plastikote is popular: http://www.camaros.net/forums/33-cam...ine-paint.html

http://autobodystore.com/forum/showt...ine-paint-code
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

No, not exactly, but probably close enough for most to not notice. Hugger Orange is also called Red Orange.

I don't see any benefit to using spray equipment vs spray bomb in this case. The engine paint is come seriously tough paint to be from a can. It has ceramic in it and is formulated for precisely this application...hot metal exposed to petroleum products. I've used Plasti-Kote low gloss black for chassis paint and it holds up great. Very tough durable stuff. I understand using spray equipt/mixed paint to get a custom color, but if wanting the engine to be the factory color I would use spray bomb engine paint.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:17 AM   #5
saxart

Thanks for all of the thoughts so far, I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
No, not exactly, but probably close enough for most to not notice. Hugger Orange is also called Red Orange.

I don't see any benefit to using spray equipment vs spray bomb in this case. The engine paint is come seriously tough paint to be from a can. It has ceramic in it and is formulated for precisely this application...hot metal exposed to petroleum products. I've used Plasti-Kote low gloss black for chassis paint and it holds up great. Very tough durable stuff. I understand using spray equipt/mixed paint to get a custom color, but if wanting the engine to be the factory color I would use spray bomb engine paint.

My experience with rattle can vs gun-paint is that you can add a hardener to gun paint and it becomes a much more durable surface against things like gasoline leaks and chips from physical damage. I'm guessing Chevy just used a regular automotive paint when they were hosing down engines prior to putting them in our trucks originally.

Thoughts?
Old 04-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #6
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

As an aside, I've heard that GMC v8 motors were painted a slightly different but similar color - more red than orange. Can anyone confirm this?

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:01 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
Thanks for all of the thoughts so far, I appreciate it.

My experience with rattle can vs gun-paint is that you can add a hardener to gun paint and it becomes a much more durable surface against things like gasoline leaks and chips from physical damage. I'm guessing Chevy just used a regular automotive paint when they were hosing down engines prior to putting them in our trucks originally.

Thoughts?
That's what I'm saying. The engine paint is formulated specifically for this use, so it is the ideal mix for hardness, oil/gas resistance, etc. I'm sure the factory paint was nowhere near the quality of this Plasti-Kote engine enamel. They now tout "with ceramic" on the cans now. An engine isn't so big you can't put a quality job on it using spray cans. I just don't see any negatives at all. Prep is the most important thing in making whatever is used to stay on.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-02-2017, 10:03 AM   #8
saxart

Quote:
That's what I'm saying. The engine paint is formulated specifically for this use, so it is the ideal mix for hardness, oil/gas resistance, etc. I'm sure the factory paint was nowhere near the quality of this Plasti-Kote engine enamel. They now tout "with ceramic" on the cans now. An engine isn't so big you can't put a quality job on it using spray cans. I just don't see any negatives at all. Prep is the most important thing in making whatever is used to stay on.
So your saying a rattle can engine paint will stand up to gas leaks? Every time I've seen rattle can paint get gasoline spilled on it, it wasn't pretty.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #9
Bigdav160

I've painted several engines bc/cc with the paint I was painting on the car.

It held up great and much easier to clean than spray can paint.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:49 AM   #10
Z10

Quote:

Red Orange is not the same as Hugger. Hugger is a lighter shade. For example, my truck is Red Orange, the stripes on my 69 Camaro are Hugger Orange. Here's a couple of pics, but a bit hard to tell. But when the car and truck are sitting next to each other, you can tell.
Attached Images

1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #11
davepl

I used PPG Acrylic Enamel; it's the best choice. It's incredibly hard and retains its high gloss for years without a clear coat. Of course you must prime the bare metal with DP90LF catalyzed primer or similar first.

The Acrylic Enamic is being phased out and still contains lead, so get it while you can. I got mine at Wesco, but had to drive around to several to find it.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:24 PM   #12
davepl

Check this out, a 1969 Bonneville I found that was painted hugger orange from the factory, but it sure wasn't an option on the big Bonneville, so the actual Ditzler/PPG paint code is right on the trim tag. Not something I'd seen before!
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #13
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z10 View Post
Red Orange is not the same as Hugger. Hugger is a lighter shade. For example, my truck is Red Orange, the stripes on my 69 Camaro are Hugger Orange. Here's a couple of pics, but a bit hard to tell. But when the car and truck are sitting next to each other, you can tell.
Great comparison! Now to figure out which one should go on an engine.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #14
1972RedNeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
As an aside, I've heard that GMC v8 motors were painted a slightly different but similar color - more red than orange. Can anyone confirm this?
I have never heard this and can't confirm it, but I have always thought GMC V6's look more red than Chevy engines.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:08 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

I'm not saying body paint won't hold up, I'm saying spray bomb engine enamel will. Not all spray paint is the same. This is paint made for engines. You can put all the spray bomb on you want. It's only less paint if you put less paint on. Mine are juicy smooth and clean up just as good as any other paint. Use what you want, same with others. I know what I'm saying and just wanted to help out.

Hugger Orange and Red Orange actually are the same color on '72 GM Trucks. If it's different on your Camaro it's either because car colors vary from trucks or your paint mixes aren't the best example of accurate mixes. PPG uses a different code for Hugger Orange '69 cars and '72 trucks. And they call it Hugger Orange but my '72 K/20 Cheyenne Super had Red Orange on the SPID

What's in a name? On that chart both Chevy Trucks and Internationals had Flame Red and those aren't the same color
Attached Images

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 04-02-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:26 PM   #16
El Dorado Jim

I painted my engine with rattle cans, VHT brand in chevy orange....there is also a chevy red-orange paint, not sure when that was used, but I love the original chevy orange....seems to be good paint from what others on here have said...I got mine at autozone. Soooo Art you are getting ready to put your engine in?
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:32 PM   #17
RPOZ11
72 BB C30 Super LongHorn

Many years ago I had done code 72 mixed up into some aerosol cans to do just this.

However, after painting my block, I can say that it seemed a bit too bright.
I liked the look but I'll assume that a small bit more red in the 72 might have achieved the result I wanted.

That color is still on my 396 block from my Camaro.
I'd post a pic of it but it may take some time to post it.

HO72 build :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=714492

2017 SS
RPOZ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:03 AM   #18
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
I've heard that too, but I have no data on GMC paint codes, or if it's available from VHT or DupliColor.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #19
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
Great comparison! Now to figure out which one should go on an engine.
Neither one!!
If you want your motor to look chevy orange after a summers worth of use then paint it ford engine red. The red fades to a more chevy orange. The chevy orange gets a yellow tint to it.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:38 AM   #20
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Neither one!!
If you want your motor to look chevy orange after a summers worth of use then paint it ford engine red. The red fades to a more chevy orange. The chevy orange gets a yellow tint to it.
If you paint it with Delron Acrylic Enamel it'll still be orange when it's Geezer's age. But it's about $300 in materials and you wind up with enough to paint 5 motors, let alone the gun. Still looks wet and shiny and there's no clear coat on top of it either. Just good old leaded paint from the 1960s, and it's harder to find every year. This was 3-4 years ago and I had to hunt stores for it then!
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #21
geezer#99

It's not 'age' dave, it's 'wisdom'!!
While your motor looks great, not everybody will buy all the paint and equipment to paint it when it's easier to just use a rattle can of whichever they want.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:04 PM   #22
davepl

I've done plenty of "rattle-can-rebuilds" in my time too :-)
Old 04-03-2017, 01:28 PM   #23
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem

Putting $300.00 worth of paint on a $1300.00 engine is like putting a $50,000.00 saddle on a $20.00 horse. I won't hold my breath waiting for the Bloomington Gold Gurus with their color swatches to write me up for the wrong color on my engine. Art go get the VHT engine rattle can paint and hurry up or the warranty will be up before you get to drive it.
CaptRMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #24
djeCST

This is a great topic that always guarantees a lively discussion. I love how passionate Chevy owners are about the color of their engines.

Unless you're going for a 100 point restoration, pick the one you like and go for it. Most people can't tell the difference anyway.....

Let's see some photos once you get it all painted up.
djeCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:23 PM   #25
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRMW View Post
Putting $300.00 worth of paint on a $1300.00 engine is like putting a $50,000.00 saddle on a $20.00 horse. I won't hold my breath waiting for the Bloomington Gold Gurus with their color swatches to write me up for the wrong color on my engine. Art go get the VHT engine rattle can paint and hurry up or the warranty will be up before you get to drive it.
I don't care what the Bloomington Gold guys do or think. I have my own quality standards. Yours are different.