The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2017, 10:17 PM   #26
saxart

Re: Is Chevy engine paint color the same as Hugger Orange?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRMW View Post
Putting $300.00 worth of paint on a $1300.00 engine is like putting a $50,000.00 saddle on a $20.00 horse. I won't hold my breath waiting for the Bloomington Gold Gurus with their color swatches to write me up for the wrong color on my engine. Art go get the VHT engine rattle can paint and hurry up or the warranty will be up before you get to drive it.
LMAO! CaptRMW, you always crack me up! Valid point as well. Found out that the local NAPA wants $49.99 (WITH a buddy's employee discount) for a quart of chevy orange. That doesn't include the necessary reducer and hardener.

F-THAT!!!

...and to think that I just returned a couple cans of VHT just this weekend.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #27
saxart

I thought I'd better put some pics up here so that Eldo Jim knows I'm getting something done. LOL! I ended up using 1.5 cans of the VHT paint in Chevy Orange color.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:16 PM   #28
WB72
Before and After

A good tip for those who think good quality rattle cans will stain with gas or oil leaks is to fix the leaks. Why worry about the look of your engine paint if it is going to have chemicals leaking from it anyway?

My $0.02
66,000 miles.
Alberta, CANADA
WB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #29
jocko

I was under the impression, probably mistakenly, that the VHT orange, for example, was more a mid-60's orange for engines and that the red-orange (either plasti-kote or VHT, I forget) was more the correct color for something like a 72 truck engine. I honestly don't know which is correct - but I've painted both colors and could swear I remember there being a definite difference. Does anyone know, definitively, which is the "correct" orange for a 69-72 engine? As in, based on a factory assembly paint code perhaps (Dave - looks like you may have done this research? Your engine looks great), and, to go one step further, which rattle can matches that "correct" chev truck engine color better - chevy "orange" or "red-orange" rattle can stuff. I'm kinda with Tim on this one - the rattle can stuff is actually pretty good IF the prep work is high quality. To me, the reason the spray gun finishes always seem to look better is because when someone is sinking that much money into the paint, they make sure they prep the block not unlike they'd prep a truck fender - and the results prove it. Prep like that following by patient thin coats of high-tem rattle can engine paint can yield similar results. Let's be honest, rattle canned approaches aren't ALWAYS prepped as meticulously, and so the results kinda get a bad name because of the bad prep jobs. And there's also the law of diminishing returns - as in the 1/3 of engine cost is in paint example, but it is a choice each of us make. I, for one, am all for the extra $ if ya got it to make the engine look nice. So, my hat's off to you Dave - super sharp engine in a super sharp truck, the whole thing is done extremely well. My only point of this post (yes, I know, took me a while to get it) is that it CAN be done pretty darn good with a rattle can, but it's a lot of work. Just like it is for a spray gun finish. Below is one of my favorite engines, and it was rattle canned (Chevy Orange, if I recall). It lasted very well once in the vehicle, a 65 Impala SS. Saxart's is another good example of how good it can look. Now header paint, that's a different story... the old white stuff from the 70's NEVER lasted past the end of the block, but it sure looked cool before it was gone Oh, back to original question - anyone know the difference between VHT Orange and Plasti-Kote Red-Orange? WERE there two different shades used on Chevrolet engines (not talkin the GMC red tint)? And, if so, when were they used?
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 04-22-2017 at 06:39 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:05 PM   #30
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
I thought I'd better put some pics up here so that Eldo Jim knows I'm getting something done. LOL! I ended up using 1.5 cans of the VHT paint in Chevy Orange color.

Ha Ha, glad to see you finally getting something done.....looks good
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:09 PM   #31
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I was under the impression, probably mistakenly, that the VHT orange, for example, was more a mid-60's orange for engines and that the red-orange (either plasti-kote or VHT, I forget) was more the correct color for something like a 72 truck engine. I honestly don't know which is correct - but I've painted both colors and could swear I remember there being a definite difference. Does anyone know, definitively, which is the "correct" orange for a 69-72 engine? As in, based on a factory assembly paint code perhaps (Dave - looks like you may have done this research? Your engine looks great), and, to go one step further, which rattle can matches that "correct" chev truck engine color better - chevy "orange" or "red-orange" rattle can stuff. I'm kinda with Tim on this one - the rattle can stuff is actually pretty good IF the prep work is high quality. To me, the reason the spray gun finishes always seem to look better is because when someone is sinking that much money into the paint, they make sure they prep the block not unlike they'd prep a truck fender - and the results prove it. Prep like that following by patient thin coats of high-tem rattle can engine paint can yield similar results. Let's be honest, rattle canned approaches aren't ALWAYS prepped as meticulously, and so the results kinda get a bad name because of the bad prep jobs. And there's also the law of diminishing returns - as in the 1/3 of engine cost is in paint example, but it is a choice each of us make. I, for one, am all for the extra $ if ya got it to make the engine look nice. So, my hat's off to you Dave - super sharp engine in a super sharp truck, the whole thing is done extremely well. My only point of this post (yes, I know, took me a while to get it) is that it CAN be done pretty darn good with a rattle can, but it's a lot of work. Just like it is for a spray gun finish. Below is one of my favorite engines, and it was rattle canned (Chevy Orange, if I recall). It lasted very well once in the vehicle, a 65 Impala SS. Saxart's is another good example of how good it can look. Now header paint, that's a different story... the old white stuff from the 70's NEVER lasted past the end of the block, but it sure looked cool before it was gone Oh, back to original question - anyone know the difference between VHT Orange and Plasti-Kote Red-Orange? WERE there two different shades used on Chevrolet engines (not talkin the GMC red tint)? And, if so, when were they used?
not sure when they went to the red/orange, but I love the old chevy orange , guess It just grew on me, I was helping my dad and my uncle on these engines since I was about 10 years old, that would be 1968...I was the parts washer....and would watch them install engines in all sorts of cool cars....57 chevy's 65 Impala ss . etc....my uncle would buy them , and flip them,,,I learned quite a bit from watching..
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:45 PM   #32
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

I have nothing to add but here's the rebuilt 350 for my blue blazer build and it's orange
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:51 PM   #33
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim View Post
not sure when they went to the red/orange, but I love the old chevy orange , guess It just grew on me, I was helping my dad and my uncle on these engines since I was about 10 years old, that would be 1968...I was the parts washer....and would watch them install engines in all sorts of cool cars....57 chevy's 65 Impala ss . etc....my uncle would buy them , and flip them,,,I learned quite a bit from watching..
Ha, funny you should mention it that way - my first car was a 57 and it had a 68 327 in it... Cue twilight zone music. Anyhoo - I actually prefer the ORANGE orange too - just curious when (or IF) a changeover was ever made to red-orange.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote