The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2018, 06:50 PM   #151
66clow

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

More body work on the Sea Ten. Door and antenna fill in. Was hoping to have it painted for Santa to use, oh well maybe he can fun with it in a month or 2. Nice to feel more confident in your body work as you do more and more of it.
Attached Images

66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:53 PM   #152
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Installed the upper control arms today. I assembled them Grumpy style, by threading the bushings with the shaft installed on the truck. So if it doesn't work out, I know just who to blame

Pretty much uneventful, but the RH side doesn't move up and down as freely as the LH side, couldn't tell you why. So I did the RH side over again, which was a wasted effort. It still doesn't move as freely, but I suspect it's good.

EDIT: I think I do know why the RH control arm doesn't move as freely. The rear seal contacts the control arm bracket. There's plenty of clearance on the LH side, I don't know why there would be a difference. It's not as if you can install the shafts backwards, I think?

Suppose I could add another shim. I installed the shims as they were beforehand. EDIT: That aint it. I pulled the cross arm off and it's stiff anyway. It moves well enough. IMO there's a design flaw on the RH side of some sort, probably in the bracket and/or shafts. Works anyway, so good enough for GM.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-06-2019 at 03:54 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:39 PM   #153
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Installed the upper control arms today. I assembled them Grumpy style, by threading the bushings with the shaft installed on the truck. So if it doesn't work out, I know just who to blame

Pretty much uneventful, but the RH side doesn't move up and down as freely as the LH side, couldn't tell you why. So I did the RH side over again, which was a wasted effort. It still doesn't move as freely, but I suspect it's good.

EDIT: I think I do know why the RH control arm doesn't move as freely. The rear seal contacts the control arm bracket. There's plenty of clearance on the LH side, I don't know why there would be a difference. It's not as if you can install the shafts backwards, I think?

Suppose I could add another shim. I installed the shims as they were beforehand.
Yes, you can install them backwards, IIRC.

On my truck, I put in a new rear differential vent. I never noticed it before, but someone drilled a hole in the diff cover and put in a fitting. Then they ran the vent via a hose to the fitting on the cover. It was still vented, because the hose didn't fit the fitting on the diff cover tightly, and fell off. I don't know why I never noticed it before. Weird. There was also a fitting where the vent should have been, in order to run the hose to the diff cover.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:40 PM   #154
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Yes, you can install them backwards, IIRC.

On my truck, I put in a new rear differential vent. I never noticed it before, but someone drilled a hole in the diff cover and put in a fitting. Then they ran the vent via a hose to the fitting on the cover. It was still vented, because the hose didn't fit the fitting on the diff cover tightly, and fell off. I don't know why I never noticed it before. Weird. There was also a fitting where the vent should have been, in order to run the hose to the diff cover.
Wholly cow, that's odd. Not sure how mine was vented factory. I found it with a fitting for a 3/8" hose I think, which runs up to the cross-member. I didn't change it, though I may add a vent cap.

You lost me on the upper shafts, I don't see how it's possible to put them on backwards. There's no top or inside out that I see. If I'm mistaken clue me in dude, because wholly cow, I'll re-do it right.

I may be off base, but I think the rear warrants a 1/32" shim or so to clear the bracket. It may work as is, but I think they're supposed to move freely. Like I said, I rebuilt it as I found it. The only changes are powder coat and new shafts. It strikes me that RH side did move more freely than it does now. I checked the old seals, there's no glaring damage, but I'm not sure it would show on the exterior side. The rubber is pretty tuff.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 12-29-2018 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:09 AM   #155
Grumpy old man

"Installed the upper control arms today. I assembled them Grumpy style, by threading the bushings with the shaft installed on the truck. So if it doesn't work out, I know just who to blame "

I think what Steeveedee is referring to is the left upper arm can be installed on the right side and vice versa .

I'm sure it's all fine and once aligned and with all the weight on it you'll balance out get some Dykem torque seal to mark your bushings it's a quick visual check to make sure nothings loose or moving every ones seen it before but not many use it on reinstall . . try to get the grease zerk fittings to point down . makes it easier to get the grease gun on the fitting later on . I'd get more pictures of mine done but it's already bagged in plastic to keep it clean .

Dykem indicator paste --- https://www.emisupply.com/catalog/pa...1185_1215.html
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:25 PM   #156
InNeedofaDelorean

Simple: I bought it!

InNeedofaDelorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #157
RodnRudy

I stripped down the drivers door on the 68 to clean, paint, and lube the window and door mechanisms. I've got all new glass run channels and anti rattle strips to put back in. The original parts are surprisingly in good shape. I need a door handle mechanism and a couple of window regulator rollers but that's it.
Attached Images

RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:35 PM   #158
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
"Installed the upper control arms today. I assembled them Grumpy style, by threading the bushings with the shaft installed on the truck. So if it doesn't work out, I know just who to blame "

I think what Steeveedee is referring to is the left upper arm can be installed on the right side and vice versa .

I'm sure it's all fine and once aligned and with all the weight on it you'll balance out get some Dykem torque seal to mark your bushings it's a quick visual check to make sure nothings loose or moving every ones seen it before but not many use it on reinstall . . try to get the grease zerk fittings to point down . makes it easier to get the grease gun on the fitting later on . I'd get more pictures of mine done but it's already bagged in plastic to keep it clean .

Dykem indicator paste --- https://www.emisupply.com/catalog/pa...1185_1215.html

I was hoping U might chime in Good information. Against my first instinct I'll leave the shims to the pros.....Something is off on my RH side, either the bracket or A-arm. There's little clearance between the front of the bracket and the edge of the arm, but I think it's okay. The LH side is perfect all the way around..............Can't be the cross member, it only fits one way.

The only way to screw this up is are the bushings, and that's not it. I did the RH twice It's in my head, 4.5 360s both sides and you're a pinch off the A-arm I followed it all the way through. The shafts are nuts with the A-arms. A bushing on each side did have more to give, I believe that's normal, though I did see where you can make some adjustment.

Speak of zerk fittings, I suspect Moogs parts are engineered enough you can use the zerk fittings tight as an indicator how the bushings should finish. Not that you can't adjust the fittings, perhaps even the bushings. That and when the bushings contact the shaft the tip on the nut is @ 12-O-clock. Makes for an easy mark.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-06-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:39 PM   #159
Problems

We mocked up the motor and trans! Progress...
Attached Images

Problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #160
71gmcC15

I took apart the radio and painted the needle. The radio doent work but it will look better.
Attached Images

04 chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 5.3 4l60e.
81 chevy Scottsdale k10 muncie sm465 Np208 10 bolt 8.2 ( Old Green)
71gmcC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:10 PM   #161
Boog
laying low

turn
Attached Images

91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #162
71gmcC15

Hers it put back together
Attached Images

04 chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 5.3 4l60e.
81 chevy Scottsdale k10 muncie sm465 Np208 10 bolt 8.2 ( Old Green)
71gmcC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:58 PM   #163
kcmarkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by elorenzof View Post
i'm interested in how the seam sealer project turned out?
Sorry for the delay in getting to this. Since that post, we have had 14" of snow, downed trees, Christmas road trip, then 8" of rain and flooding. Oh, and the old engine in the truck started knocking (joy).

Anyway, got to it tonight. The whole process worked out much better than I feared. My goal in all of this is for the drip edge to be weather tight, not looks.

Before the Christmas road trip, I had sprayed on a coat of 2K Epoxy primer that I got in a rattle can from Advance Auto (who knew?). Primarily because the 3M instructions indicate to apply this on a 2K primer or bare metal. This will be the beige color in the pics below.

Along with the 3M 8307 Self Leveling and the 3M 8308 heavy body, I also ordered the 3M gun (3M P/N 8571).

Name:  3M 8571.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  60.4 KB

I started with the vertical portions of the drip edge and laid down a pretty thick bead of the 3M 8308, starting right at the top of the upper curve. Then I simply used a gloved finger to smooth it out, trying to press it into the seam without squeezing it out. I left the beginning of the bead pretty thick, so it will act as a dam for the self leveling 8307.

Name:  Rt Rear Drip 8308.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  40.9 KB

I also had a spot at the upper right corner where there was about a 1/8" gap between the roof skin and the rest of the metal that I filled with a small bead of 8308. Once both sides were done, I let it cure for about an hour, then took the 3M 8307 and got after it. Starting on one side, I began filling the drip edge, and worked my way around to the other side. The 8307 is definitely thinner than the 8308 and leveled out nicely.

Name:  Fr Drip2 8307.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  30.0 KB

I then let that cure for about an hour, then masked off the cab and sprayed a coat of basic white rattle can primer over the newly sealed drip edge. Nothing fancy.

Name:  Fr Drip Primed.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  44.8 KB
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2019, 10:28 AM   #164
TruDom

No longer in jackstand jail. Having trouble with brakes still though
Attached Images

TruDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:03 PM   #165
RodnRudy

While I'm waiting for some parts to refresh my door mechanisms I decided to tackle a couple of rust issues in each outer corner and where it is split unde the vent wing. Also I'm getting rid of that God awful 6x9 speaker hole. here's a few pics of my progress.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2019, 08:06 PM   #166
RodnRudy

And a few more of the rust repair and speaker hole.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2019, 02:16 AM   #167
tino0217

Nice ride. Hope u get those brakes worked out before spring bro
tino0217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:22 AM   #168
88Stanger

moved the coil packs
Attached Images

88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:28 PM   #169
JerryIndy2112

I pulled my bench seat, removed last of the green shag carpet. So glad that is gone. I vacuumed floorboards. Installed new dome light I got for Christmas. Removed lower part of old door gaskets, they were holding moisture. Removed old stereo amp under the seat.
Attached Images

JerryIndy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:06 PM   #170
RodnRudy

I finished up welding up the patch for the ugly speaker hole in the door this afternoon Also I picked up this nice E brake cover at the swap meet this morning. Thanks Todd, nice meeting you.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2019, 09:46 PM   #171
zicc1835

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmarkd View Post
Sorry for the delay in getting to this. Since that post, we have had 14" of snow, downed trees, Christmas road trip, then 8" of rain and flooding. Oh, and the old engine in the truck started knocking (joy).

Anyway, got to it tonight. The whole process worked out much better than I feared. My goal in all of this is for the drip edge to be weather tight, not looks.

Before the Christmas road trip, I had sprayed on a coat of 2K Epoxy primer that I got in a rattle can from Advance Auto (who knew?). Primarily because the 3M instructions indicate to apply this on a 2K primer or bare metal. This will be the beige color in the pics below.

Along with the 3M 8307 Self Leveling and the 3M 8308 heavy body, I also ordered the 3M gun (3M P/N 8571).

Attachment 1852632

I started with the vertical portions of the drip edge and laid down a pretty thick bead of the 3M 8308, starting right at the top of the upper curve. Then I simply used a gloved finger to smooth it out, trying to press it into the seam without squeezing it out. I left the beginning of the bead pretty thick, so it will act as a dam for the self leveling 8307.

Attachment 1852629

I also had a spot at the upper right corner where there was about a 1/8" gap between the roof skin and the rest of the metal that I filled with a small bead of 8308. Once both sides were done, I let it cure for about an hour, then took the 3M 8307 and got after it. Starting on one side, I began filling the drip edge, and worked my way around to the other side. The 8307 is definitely thinner than the 8308 and leveled out nicely.

Attachment 1852630

I then let that cure for about an hour, then masked off the cab and sprayed a coat of basic white rattle can primer over the newly sealed drip edge. Nothing fancy.

Attachment 1852631
that really turne out very nice worth the investment of the gun i bet
zicc1835 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #172
OldBlue70C10

I finally got started on my project over the holidays, i'm going to try to upload photos shortly. Getting the front drums off, they were completely rusted solid, was a chore. But I have them off, and I've gotten all the parts to put it back together. I'm keeping the drum brakes for now, I hope in the future to go to disc.
OldBlue70C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #173
OldBlue70C10

Let me see if I got the picture upload thing down?

OldBlue70C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:00 AM   #174
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Got my control arms in. I'm going to see if I can install the coil springs cleanly with an internal compressor. I'm not holding my breathe on that one. If I can't then I'll wait for the engine, see if that's enough weight. I'd like to put the suspension to rest already.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2019, 12:22 AM   #175
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I was hoping U might chime in Good information. Against my first instinct I'll leave the shims to the pros.....Something is off on my RH side, either the bracket or A-arm. There's little clearance between the front of the bracket and the edge of the arm, but I think it's okay. The LH side is perfect all the way around..............Can't be the cross member, it only fits one way.
If you rotate the shaft in the A-arm before you install it, it will move fore and aft within the A-arm to center it.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote