The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2021, 04:05 PM   #1
NGN

What to do with my wiring in my 67

OK folks I'll see if I can explain this correctly. I have a original plane jane (well was) 67 L6 250 three on the tree, base gauges, manual four drum brakes no bells and whistles. I used the parts from a 72 307 V8, two wheel drive PDB, Auto 350trans Blazer (plan jane) in my 67 250 L6,, the five lug rear with a auto 350 tran and five lug power discs brakes are now in, all went very good. Well now I got a original rebuilt 67 327 motor and 4 barrel carb from a 67 chevy truck that I'm sure was a manual sitting in my truck. Hope I made that understandable. What I'd like to do is make the wiring look neat and original with all that's been changed. I fail to mention I have a restored 72 tilt that's been install and working good and still need to install a beautiful restored 67 full dash gauge well with no tach to go. What I really like to know is who here on this forum has all that wiring new complete and original as possible. Any help, question, thoughts hey and whatever all appreciated.
Thanks
NGN
NICK
NGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:30 PM   #2
sick472

Re: What to do with my wiring in my 67

Are you asking where/who to buy restoration harnesses from?

If so, I know harnesses are made new by several companies. I can't help with recommendations as I have only refurbished/customized my wiring from the original rat's nests.

I would expect some modifications to be made to the restoration harnesses, however. You have a good mix of "stuff" going on. What advise I can offer is to familiarize yourself with the wiring diagrams and everything you can get your hands on pertaining to the different sections of wiring that these truck have. Start here (if you haven't already come across this thread about the schematics)...

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=185856

Are you ditching your old harnesses? It would be a good exercise to spread them out one at a time on some sawhorse tables and go through the schematics just to learn what you have and what you may be needing/modifying. It's always painful for me to start this process, but once into it...it becomes rather satisfying! I will take all the wrapping off, twist tying the the wire bundles back together in places as I go to keep their original paths in tact. This way you can tell where they go for sure and find splices and such. It's much easier to understand what is really going on when you can trace an individual wire and not just guess that "this yellow" wire is the same as "that yellow" wire coming out of a tapped up mess. I will also put masking tape tabs on the truly identified circuits as I learn what they are.

This approach is not for everyone, but I doubt a set of harnesses exists that will be plug-n-play for you. You may find after performing the above exercise that your confidence level rises to reusing, repairing, and modifying your old stuff.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:43 PM   #3
BigBird05

Hard to follow but It sounds like you now have a 67Auto truck with a 67 4BBl carb. If you are adding a amp gauge ( removing a light) you will need a new engine harness and a new dash harness.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:35 PM   #4
pjmoreland

This thread contains information on how to convert your existing harness to work with the full gauge cluster. I did this conversion on my truck, and it is a decent amount of work. On the upside, you will be quite familiar with the electrical system when you are done.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=645940
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:59 PM   #5
jimijam00

Cliffnotes version:

You have a 67 C10 that was born with a 6cyl, drum brakes, and base guage cluster. It now has now has 327ci engine, 4bbl, TH350, and four wheel disc brakes. You would lke to updgrade to the full guages w/o tach, and update the wiring so that everything works and looks OEM.

I recommend replacing the 54 year old wiring with a brand new harness; not just the dash, but the entire truck.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:37 PM   #6
lil hoodlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
Cliffnotes version:

You have a 67 C10 that was born with a 6cyl, drum brakes, and base guage cluster. It now has now has 327ci engine, 4bbl, TH350, and four wheel disc brakes. You would lke to updgrade to the full guages w/o tach, and update the wiring so that everything works and looks OEM.

I recommend replacing the 54 year old wiring with a brand new harness; not just the dash, but the entire truck.
I agree. Just buy a new aftermarket wiring harness from American Auto Wire or Painless Performance Products. Just select a new harness that is complete for a V8 with gauges and any other option like HEI. Easy peasy.
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:10 AM   #7
REDROCKER652002

I have to add one for the purchase of a brand new wiring set up. My son's 69 wiring was brutal, including the makeshift ignition switch the guy put in. We pulled all of it out, took our time and ran the new wiring to the best of our ability. It isn't perfect, but it works great and it was easy to do. As long as you are careful, follow the instructions and take each section one at a time, you should be good to go. I used the American Auto Wire setup. Just a note, they do offer suggestions on how to rewire using a newer higher output alternator and get rid of the older regulartor setup. My son is 19, so I figure at some point he is going to want to get a sound system and all that crap, so the larger alternator was a good idea.

Last edited by REDROCKER652002; 02-05-2021 at 09:17 AM.
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:15 AM   #8
'68OrangeSunshine

M&H is the best. They duplicate factory harnesses perfectly. If you have electrical system modifications, they can fab a custom harness for you. Are you also running HEI, or deleting the EVR for an upgraded alternator?
They can wire your harness for those, too.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:51 AM   #9
Smitty

I second M&H. Tell them what you have, and what your needs are. They build a harness to suit those needs and looks just like the original.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote