The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2021, 10:40 AM   #1
conoco

Help with inner rocker install

Was wondering if this is how the inner rocker should fit before I scribe the line and cut to fit. And you can see in the pick the upper front corner was pretty much gone already, I then cut a little but more just so I could fit the front on the inner rocker and slide it in for fitment. The holes on the back line up pretty good, the 4 holes in the front line up good also, but it looks like the front is slanted a little bit. Is that how it is suppose to fit? The contours of the floor slope down on the end, I just really dont want to cut unless it is suppose to slant down a little. I also have the kick panel in the pick. Everything seems to line up good I just really dont want to screw myself. I have the new front floor brace but I didnt want to cut the old one because I didnt want to lose my references points. The new brace doesnt have the 4 holes.

Which brings me to my next question. I have seen some people instead of drilling new holes for the 4 bolts that just have been plug welding it instead. Is that acceptable fitment wise. If anyone knows if this looks ok and can guide me that would be great. Thank you.

I also have the floor pan but I am going to do that last once everything else is tacked in place. Thanks everyone.
Attached Images

conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:53 PM   #2
May70

Re: Help with inner rocker install

I would bolt it in.

Are you talking about this red circle? Its weird that the patch wouldn't go up to the edge with the floor pan lip BUT they probably don't come with that lip stamped in because the replacement floor pan section for that corner does. I wouldn't worry about it. If it were me I would cut out a square piece (green dots) after you get the rest of it where you want it. Deal with that later. Its under the carpet never to be seen.

Get that inner rocker held in place with some self tappers and try fitting the pillar, cab corner and outer rocker. In my case im doing kick panels last as they were just getting in my way.
Attached Images

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
SkidmoreGarage

I've done this job before, the best advice I can give is to use the opposite side and the door to make sure you are happy with the fitment. Don't worry too much about whether thecab support holes line up. The replacement sheet metal isn't that high quality of a stamping, and the trucks weren't exactly the same from the factory. Weld vs bolts is up to you. No one will ever see it, but some guys would hate the deviation from factory. I used bolts.

No one will see the inner rocker. However, the inner rocker will partially set the depth and angle of the outer rocker. The trim plate at the door threshold will cover most of the edge and the carpet the rest.

The things to pay attention to, in my opinion, are
1. The distance from the center of the truck to the outer edge
2. The front corner where the stamping is not very sharp (may need to cut and reshape to avoid gaps to the rocker flange)
3. The area at the rear where the cab corner "meets" the floor (or doesn't)
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:08 PM   #4
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by May70 View Post
I would bolt it in.

Are you talking about this red circle? Its weird that the patch wouldn't go up to the edge with the floor pan lip BUT they probably don't come with that lip stamped in because the replacement floor pan section for that corner does. I wouldn't worry about it. If it were me I would cut out a square piece (green dots) after you get the rest of it where you want it. Deal with that later. Its under the carpet never to be seen.

Get that inner rocker held in place with some self tappers and try fitting the pillar, cab corner and outer rocker. In my case im doing kick panels last as they were just getting in my way.
May yes I'm talking about the red circle. It does have the factory flange and also the flange on the inner rocker. That inner rocker flange does tuck under the factor flange I think I might just have cut an inch to much out of the floor when I cut out the bad stuff.

I also have the floor pan, I bought the more expensive one that have the inner built into it. I was thinking about just using that piece and then I could take care of the floor at the same time. I am just nervous. I dont need the entire floor just the upside part. I just dont know what route to go.

I will clamo everything down and once all in place I will put my door on and see where I'm at. I think I will add a small piece of metal to that corner that I cut out and see what that does. Thanks for your help.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2021, 03:12 PM   #5
conoco

Do you guys know if there are spot welds that hold in the floor brace around the body mount structure? I can see the spot welds that follow the floor pan. I am thinking just replacing the entire support. just cutting the top of the floor following the support and that taking it out. I think I would run into problems though if it is spot welded all around the end there though. Might as well replace all the metal I can while I have it cut open.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2021, 07:51 PM   #6
May70

Most people dont use that inner rocker reproduction panel to go all the way up to the firewall/floorplan seam. That's why you don't see many posting about it. Most dont use it past the pillar.

Most important thing is that the outer rocker is gapped correctly around the door , and the curve of the rocker lines up with the bottom curve on the cab corner and fender. The rest is just supporting structure. In my videos I get the outer rocker fitted before even putting in an inner rocker.

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:31 PM   #7
Davidf

I patch the holes in the repair panel and drill new holes where I want them
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote