The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2024, 11:27 AM   #1
customfab4x4

Classic Performance Products (CCP) - Very Questionable Business Practices

It is disheartening the I'm basically being forced to write this thread about my current experience with CCP. This is bordering on extortion in my personal opinion but I will let you decide based on the facts below. If I knew what I know now, I would have gone with a highly reputable alternative.

EDIT: Please see my comments below for full updates regardin this situation. CCP did end up sending me a slotted rotor replacement but it did take this post do make that happen.

I purchase their 2.5 drop spindle kit with 6-lug disc rotors directly off their Classic Performance Products Ebay store.

Item is: 71-72 CHEVY C10 GMC TRUCK 6 LUG 12" DISC BRAKE KIT W/ MODULAR 2.5" DROP SPINDLES.

eBay item number:284140608167

This is the same kit that they sell on their website for $799:

https://www.classicperform.com/Store...6062SWBK-5.htm

So when the kit arrived, they actually sent me two different rotor types. One was the non-slotted standard rotor. The other was the slotted rotor type which is apparently an upgrade.

Here's the deal. I opened up the box with the slotted rotor, and we began to immediately install it. I didn’t think twice about it being slotted as I honestly assumed this was the correct rotor. Yes, call me an idiot. At that point in time, I didn’t know it was shipped to me by mistake and is considered an upgrade. I was simply like "cool, slotted rotors come with the kit.".

Yes, call me a dummy for not opening all the boxes and confirming that all the contents matched. I assumed, like most businesses, that CCP has a quality control system that would prevent mistakes like this. It is costly for the company potentially but more importantly places a high burden on the customer when the correct parts are not received.

So I called CCP immediately and got in touch with their Ebay department. I guy by the name of Danny and his manager, Jeff. I explained that I had the slotted rotor 100% completely installed which as most of you know….this is not an easy task. I rebuilt that entire side of the truck only to find out when we switched sides that I had a non-slotted rotor! OMG! But I thought CCP would stand behind their mistake and say “No Big Deal. We completely screwed up sending you the wrong rotor and will cover it. We’ll send you a slotted rotor and you can send back the non-slotted.”

Right? Wrong. Originally, they stood firm that I needed to pay them an extra $35 for them to send the slotted rotor. They said, they didn’t even want the non-slotted returned as the shipping cost more than the rotor itself (pretty wasteful thinking..it you know anything about our landfills).

I told them this was ridiculous as they made the mistake and they should be willing to cover the cost due to quality control issues in shipping. Plus, how much are we talking here on their end related to cost? $5 or $10? And they seriously want me to spend hours to remove the slotted rotor (which they don't even want back) to simply replace it with non-slotted so they avoid added costs?

After a long-winded conversation, I was asked to give them a Positive Feedback 5-star on Ebay. Once they see that I wrote a 5-star review, WITHOUT the shipping or me having received the parts, then and ONLY THEN would they be willing to ship the slotted rotor.

What? This amounts to extorsion in my opinion? They literally want a 5-star review BEFORE actually performing the customer service or making this right. How horrible of a business practice? Talk about business poor ethics?

So what did I do in response? I simply wrote them a very nice review which I posted as neutral. And I’m glad I did. As they now said they won’t ship the slotted rotor unless I pay them additional money. However, my post is intended to become a 5-star review IF and ONCE they shipped me the part as promised. It is as simply as that CCP! You just have to ship me the slotted rotor as you said you would....but I'm giving you a 5-star review until you have actually accomplished what you state!

Here is my neutral review which they don’t like:

“CCP shipped two different rotors (slotted & non-slotted). Installed one-side, which happened to be the slotted rotor, before opening the 2nd box. Oops! We had spend ~2 hrs removing & installing the slotted rotor before realizing this. Simply thought both were slotted. Called CCP to explain the situation & spoke w/ manager, Jeff. He was understanding & got approval on a Sat to send a matching upgrade slotted rotor. Have not received the rotor & will update this review as 5-star when received.”

So what’s the current status:

CCP sent this Ebay message to me directly yesterday:

“My name is Danny, I had a chance to review your phone calls from Saturday. Per the calls you agreed to leave a positive feedback in exchange for a FREE upgrade. As of writing this message to you, you left us a neutral feedback which was not part of the agreement you made with the Sales Rep. So moving forward we will be sending you a return label for the incorrect drilled rotor we sent you, as the listing was for plain rotors. If you would like to keep the mis-shipped rotor there will be a charge for that. The upgrade charge will be $37.50 plus tax. Please reply with your email address, as we need this to send you the return label.
Thank you and have a great day.”

As you can see, CCP is demanding that I give them POSITIVE 5-star before they will do anything to resolve the situation. How crazy is that?

IMO, CCP has absolutely horrible customer service policies. And if you do research on them on the customer service side, I’m not the 1st person to report this.

At this point I'm still giving CCP a chance to make this right. Hopefully someone above "Jeff" gets wind of this and fixes this situation. I think they are a good company that many have had positive experiences. Hopefully their Ebay department simply needs an education on customer service.

Just stinks that I am to "pull teeth" or go to this level of response in order for CCP to see the errors of their way. I own a small business and WOULD NEVER TREAT A SINGLE CUSTOMER IN THIS MANNER. I would be accountable for my mistake, admit it, and then do the right thing to make the customer happy.

All I'm asking for is to CCP to send me a match rotor was I can finish this install and get my freaking truck out of our business work shop! That's what is worse about this entire situation. I have a truck up on blocks waiting for parts that CCP won't ship!!

Last edited by customfab4x4; 02-09-2024 at 01:49 PM.
customfab4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 11:52 AM   #2
chevmn

Re: Classic Performance Products (CCP) - Very Questionable Business Practices

Contact ebay. Ebay will 9 times out of 10 side with the customer. My guess is you will get what you want at no additonal charge. Worst case you might have to remove the parts and return, but there is your leverage as they would likely rather ship you the correct part vs. pay shipping for the entire order, then refund you. Make sure all coorespondence goes through ebay, not via phone conversation, this way ebay can see their interactions.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 12:17 PM   #3
dmjlambert

Yes that is shady. My approach would be to just send them the extra money, get it done with the slotted rotors. And let your review stand. When you get all done and have cooled off a little, add to the review whether you would repeat your purchase from them for another truck, or buy from somebody else. That part of your review is going to be the most valuable to others who are considering the purchase.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 12:37 PM   #4
Orange Crate

If your review and this post cost them one customer THAT is what they don't understand....For any business that deals with the public, word of mouth is either your best advertisement or your worst (One of my better tips). Here is another one....listen to your customers.
Old 02-06-2024, 01:29 PM   #5
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Does sound like extortion.

Personally if it was me and they just said: "opps, that is totally our mistake we'll send you the slotted one". They would not need to ask me for a "5 star" review, I would give it to them without a second thought.

Yes it would have slowed down getting the job done waiting for the slotted rotor but in the end I got a upgrade (and I should have opened all the boxes in the first place).

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 01:33 PM   #6
Casper42
Account Suspended

Namely, I think the problem here is you not inspecting the items when they first arrived. Secondly, you installed part of the order, that they improperly sent, and they didn't want previously installed parts back, thus they came up with a compromise to make you and them "happy". I highly suspect if you hadn't installed it, contacted them within the return policy period (I think 30 days for eBay items) this would not have turned out as it had. I also owned my own biz for a number of years and now deal with consumer issues at a government level. I think what CPP offered is not unreasonable, but a bit unusual relating to the feedback. They were confronted with a bit unusual set of circumstances and they made a decision to handle it this way. I may have done the same, IMO. Furthermore, I suspect they didn't know of the incorrect packaging; they might have received it from the manufacturer in the packaging that you opened. So in summary, I think it may be a lesson learned for you and hopefully them. Sorry about your issue.
Casper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 02:03 PM   #7
3drburb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper42 View Post
Namely, I think the problem here is you not inspecting the items when they first arrived. Secondly, you installed part of the order, that they improperly sent, and they didn't want previously installed parts back, thus they came up with a compromise to make you and them "happy". I highly suspect if you hadn't installed it, contacted them within the return policy period (I think 30 days for eBay items) this would not have turned out as it had. I also owned my own biz for a number of years and now deal with consumer issues at a government level. I think what CPP offered is not unreasonable, but a bit unusual relating to the feedback. They were confronted with a bit unusual set of circumstances and they made a decision to handle it this way. I may have done the same, IMO. Furthermore, I suspect they didn't know of the incorrect packaging; they might have received it from the manufacturer in the packaging that you opened. So in summary, I think it may be a lesson learned for you and hopefully them. Sorry about your issue.
This could not have been said much better.

They really didn't do anything wrong here after being contacted about incorrect and unopen parts.

Customers (WE) should always inspect ALL the parts when first received from shipping for damage also to much sure they get what they paid for and definitely before installing.

As for the feedback some may think it to be odd but, sometimes two wrongs CAN be made right with the simple compromised that was offered and not taken.
3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 03:16 PM   #8
Joyridin

Hmmm...you spent close to $800 and you wouldn't spend $35 on another slotted rotor? I would have jumped at that option right there.
Joyridin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 04:06 PM   #9
Rust_never_sleeps

What I had read(and followed) when I did mine was that you should buy your CPP kit from a reseller with a good reputation for support because they'll go to bat for you if anything is wonky and CPP's support was not highly regarded.
I did go through all the boxes first, mostly to lay things out for the correct side and idiot proof the process, but it does have other advantages.

I kinda see their point. If they're willing to make good, they want their reputation to show that. Demanding the part back if you don't agree to play along is kinda douchy though
Old 02-06-2024, 05:19 PM   #10
c30

It's kinda like going to a fast food drive thru and expecting your order to be correct.
Five miles away, you realize that you're short an order of fries.
At $15 an hour you would think these people can count. But no.
I would A: keep driving and count your losses.
B: Gladly pay for the upgraded rotor
or C: Do both
c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 05:31 PM   #11
LS short box

I haven't bought anything from CPP and don't intend to. I'm kind of a Summit guy. I have returned parts to Summit that were past the return date with full refunds.
I'm not sure what he can offer for our trucks brakes wise but my go to brake guy is Tobin at KORE3.com.
He is the brake guru.
LS short box is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 05:37 PM   #12
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I'm in Canada, so shipping from the USA to here is costly, and have dealt with Summit Racing for many years spending many many 1000's of dollars with them. I bought a set (4 ) of Torque Thrust 2 rims from them and one had a tiny chip on it when I received them. Without hesitation when I callled Summit sent me a replacement rim no charge with free shipping and a label for Fed Ex so I could ship the damaged one back on their dime. A couple other times I've had wrong or defective parts and if under 40/50.00 they usually say we'll send u another and disgard the damaged one. I do hope they do notget bought out by a big Corporation like Holley.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 05:44 PM   #13
54blackhornet

In today business environment I always figure that something will go wrong ! Check and double check everything that you purchase for defects.
Old 02-06-2024, 05:56 PM   #14
jerry moss
Born Psycho

personally I would never purchase from them, from what i've seen parts that customers have installed on their vehicles then brought it to the shop where I work to diagnose a problem, it's mostly imported, over priced crap. and definitly stay away from their steering boxes.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:34 PM   #15
customfab4x4

All good comments.

No doubt that I learned my lesson in terms of inspecting everything before installing. But that still doesn't change the circumstances or how CCP handled this situation.

So of course once I posted this thread, CCP called me probably within an hour. Imagine that? Why it takes this amount of effort, I don't know.

So CCP told me that I should have posted the 5-star review as they wanted me to do BEFORE shipping me anything. This was their manager, Jeff. I told him that I ABSOLUTELY would NOT provide a 5-star review WITHOUT first getting 5-star customer service. He tried to debate the conversation but I'm simply done.

Gave him a simple choice.
A) Ship me the slotted replacement rotor as originally requested and get a happy customer!
B) Refund the entire purchase as I have not received my entire order. And Ebay dispute resolution will absolutely side with me.

I left it at that and told him that I have no future desire to speak with CCP directly about this. I empowered him to make the best decision for either CCP or his customer. Guess what he chose?

Appears CCP is now finally sending me the slotted rotor. I have not received a tracking number but I did get a text starting the replacement would ship today. YESSSSSS! THANK YOU CCP.....FINALLY. But next time, please don't fight with your customer and make review demands. This is a very shady practice. I'll blame the manager, Jeff, not CCP at this point. Dude needs some customer service training and a much larger perspective of how good customer support looks.

And I agree with a replied post, if you desire CCP parts, might be best to go through one of their vendors who offers top notch customer service and more of a no questions asked policy. I am really suprised CCP, or Jeff, took the path they did.

I still am upset that CCP originally demanded a 5-star Ebay Review before they would ship anything. Sorry, CCP, I have that right as no company should ask such a thing from their customers.

Imagine telling someone that have a product packed and ready to ship? Yet, I will not ship this product to you unless you 1st give me a 5-star review. That's backwards!!!! Luckily, consumers have the power of the internet!

Enough of the criticality. It is not my intend to bash people or companies. We get far too much of that in our modern politics nowadays. So hopefully CCP will learn, as I have learned to carefully inspect parts before installing.

In the coming days, I will confirm if CCP actually shipped the parts.

In the coming weeks, I will share my experience with the parts from a fit and finish standpoint. I hope and expect that feedback to be very position. My research shows that CCP is producing quality C10 parts, as good as anyone else. Entire reason why I choose them and hopefully the bad taste in my mouth will be gone in a few days.

Thanks for all the replies. Be nice to hear from a CCP representative about how Jeff handled the situation or if the request for a 5-star review, prior to shipping products, is standard policy????????????????????????

Last edited by customfab4x4; 02-06-2024 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:24 PM   #16
Garsam

As a person who’s spouse is a small business owner I can state unequivocally that if you have a problem with a purchase at her business you can return the item and get either a full refund or exchange the item for anything of equal value and you will get an apology from whoever handles the return. Happy customers tell people about their experience but unhappy customers tell EVERYONE about their bad experience. I have read enough bad stories about ccp to know that I won’t buy from them anymore. So what their employee has accomplished is to cause the company to lose business. Not good.
Garsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 01:18 AM   #17
Smitty

I purchased my CCP Hydra Boost Kit through Summit and am glad I did. The kit was supposed to include everything needed to install. But was missing the adapter needed for one of the brake lines. Tried to connect with customer service at CCP for two days. No success, so I contacted Summit. Within an hour I was notified that CCP was putting the needed part over night to me. I doubt that CCP will ever see another dollar of my money. Don’t care how good the part might be. It’s the service after the sale that counts.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:47 AM   #18
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I purchased my CCP Hydra Boost Kit through Summit and am glad I did. The kit was supposed to include everything needed to install. But was missing the adapter needed for one of the brake lines. Tried to connect with customer service at CCP for two days. No success, so I contacted Summit. Within an hour I was notified that CCP was putting the needed part over night to me. I doubt that CCP will ever see another dollar of my money. Don’t care how good the part might be. It’s the service after the sale that counts.
I have purchased CPP parts and have ALWAYS done it through Summit. I've had issues with CPP parts, but Summit has always taken care of it.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 01:36 PM   #19
Troy Sr

I bought a used CCP steering column for my '55 Belair from a shop in Sacramento. They told me it was from another guy's '55 and they replaced it! When I got home I did some research on it and everyone said don't use it you'll die!!! I emailed CCP many times about maybe updating the plastic ball in it and I've never heard from them once!! I won't use them anymore!!!
Old 02-08-2024, 11:23 AM   #20
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by customfab4x4 View Post
And Ebay dispute resolution will absolutely side with me.
They certainly will! I've been on the seller side of that and got screwed by a lying buyer, who was backed-up by eBay.

As for CPP parts quality: I bought a few things from them for a 55 Chevy car, and none of them were totally free from problems. Bought a "500" power steering box with "free" polished aluminum cap and chrome bolts packaged separately. The bolts were very soft--obviously Grade 1 or even worse. I called and spoke with a guy who gave me the classic response: "We've sold hundreds of those and have never heard that before." In other words, I'm lying or stupid, right? I ended up replacing them with Grade 5 or 8 bolts (or it might have been the metric equivalent).

Also bought a pair of upper control arms that were pretty nice, except for the ball joints, both of which had cracked dust boots! They did send me a new pair, but I sold them at a swap meet and used Moog parts instead! Funny thing is a friend of mine had the exact same problem!

Here is a life-threatening problem that CPP admitted to: https://www.classicperform.com/parecall/ Hard to believe their QA department didn't catch this. A guy on 55-57 forum had a Pitman arm break as he was pulling into his driveway. Thank goodness he wasn't going around a street corner in traffic.

Had I kept the 55 Chevy, I probably would have replaced the steering box with a "real" Borgeson-Delphi 600 box. That's because I didn't feel like I could trust the imported internals to keep me on the road.

Here's a photo of the very soft socket-head bolts included with the aluminum cover. Sockets are somewhat rounded with even moderate torque.
Attached Images

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 02-12-2024 at 02:42 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 11:34 AM   #21
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Sr View Post
I bought a used CCP steering column for my '55 Belair from a shop in Sacramento. They told me it was from another guy's '55 and they replaced it! When I got home I did some research on it and everyone said don't use it you'll die!!! I emailed CCP many times about maybe updating the plastic ball in it and I've never heard from them once!! I won't use them anymore!!!
Yes, those were total crap and sold under various brand names. There was an article spreading around the Internet back then about how A New Zealand government agency would not allow those columns to be imported. They explained the problems in detail, and they are scary! No such issues with OEM, Ididit, Flaming River, and a few other reputable brands.

I just found this. Check out pages 3-7. Life threatening stuff, but good enough for some vendors!
https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/i...ng_Columns.pdf
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 02-08-2024 at 11:39 AM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 01:48 PM   #22
customfab4x4

UPDATE - Tues, Jan 18th

AHHHHHHHH!!! CCP quality is THE WORSE I have ever experienced in my life. I am going to rip off these parts and toss em in the trash. The caliper brackets that comes with their kit are both BENT!!! Jesus, CCP, get a clue! You have wasted dozens of hours of work as I simply do not want any CCP parts on my truck. I believe that they are a risk to safety as a daily driver after my experience with CCP. Clear they rely on China for their quality control and have no clue about QSM or quality system mgmt practices.

UPDATE - Friday, Jan 9, 2024.

I just received the matched SLOTTED rotor from CCP.

What I somewhat painful experience but at the end of the day that did what I feel is the right thing, certainly from a customer service experience.

So I want to give them FULL CREDIT for sending the slotted rotor which was an upgrade. Hopefully they will resolve the quality issues on the procurement side to avoid in the future.

I'll let everyone know about the quality of the fit and finish at least from my perspective. I know CCP is a popular brand that has been around for quite some time. So wish them the best & hope they only get better on the customer service side.

Last edited by customfab4x4; 02-13-2024 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:23 AM   #23
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by customfab4x4 View Post
UPDATE - Tues, Jan 18th

AHHHHHHHH!!! CCP quality is THE WORSE I have ever experienced in my life. I am going to rip off these parts and toss em in the trash. The caliper brackets that comes with their kit are both BENT!!! Jesus, CCP, get a clue! You have wasted dozens of hours of work as I simply do not want any CCP parts on my truck. I believe that they are a risk to safety as a daily driver after my experience with CCP. Clear they rely on China for their quality control and have no clue about QSM or quality system mgmt practices.

UPDATE - Friday, Jan 9, 2024.

I just received the matched SLOTTED rotor from CCP.

What I somewhat painful experience but at the end of the day that did what I feel is the right thing, certainly from a customer service experience.

So I want to give them FULL CREDIT for sending the slotted rotor which was an upgrade. Hopefully they will resolve the quality issues on the procurement side to avoid in the future.

I'll let everyone know about the quality of the fit and finish at least from my perspective. I know CCP is a popular brand that has been around for quite some time. So wish them the best & hope they only get better on the customer service side.
Good work in writing this thread and letting us know about the issue. I think you're talking about CPP, based on the name. You might want to change the title of the thread so that people can find this if they search.

You were right to refuse to let them leverage a positive review for them making good on a mistake. A review is about something that has already happened, just based on the definition of the word. Just think, they could have said, that is an upgrade, but we made a mistake and will take care of it. This thread would never have been written. Not to mention, they got their dirty laundry on a bunch of other products brought up. They could have comped you the rotor right at the beginning for your hassle and interrupting your project and said please tell people about us when they ask about your cool new brakes. Bet they would have gotten that $37 back many times over.

Last edited by LT7A; 03-03-2024 at 08:52 AM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:33 AM   #24
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Yes, those were total crap and sold under various brand names. There was an article spreading around the Internet back then about how A New Zealand government agency would not allow those columns to be imported. They explained the problems in detail, and they are scary! No such issues with OEM, Ididit, Flaming River, and a few other reputable brands.

I just found this. Check out pages 3-7. Life threatening stuff, but good enough for some vendors!
https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/i...ng_Columns.pdf
Good research and info. Thanks!
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote