The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
liftmeup

Prodject 1-ton changing back to probject stock ?

I think after getting started on redoing my 72 chevy k20 as a 30 swap I want to revert to doing the truck back to stock as a friendly to use, stock truck.

I had purchased a 87 crew cab 3500 SRW for $1,800 with 4.10 gears, 350 efi, with 4 speed 465/ 205 set up all stock. Its a low mile state park truck. My plan was to swap the complete driveline efi setup and all over to my 72 and install a 52" leaf spring lift setup so I would a fairly tuff truck that easy on fuel with the efi and 4 speed.

I think it would be cool to do but I just can't see myself taking a fresh truck and busting it up. The truck as all the original parts right now and I know there is still a lot of them around but many have been whored out modded to death and such I think this is my chance to save a stock truck.

Guess i am looking for thoughts on this whole thing.... what would you do? rational reasons? I need to get a plan in gear before it gets cold again and my wife is tired of looking a the yellow monster in the driveway. (crewcab)
Old 08-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
liftmeup

Re: Prodject 1-ton changing back to probject stock ?

Maybe I should use spell check LOL heck with it I'm red
Old 08-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

I would make it so it is actually nice to drive. I've driven a real nice all original 71 k10 shortbed. It was cool and didn't drive bad but not my style.

Just because you put 1 ton axles and newer suspension and lift it a little doesn't mean you need to beat the crap out of it. I am doing the same basic mods to my 68 suburban and it is a real clean all original truck, but I plan on actually enjoying it and having the nice big brakes from the d60, 14bolt efi, better steering from crossover, etc.
68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
liftmeup

yeah its a real toss up you know it would be nice to have the newer hydo bell trans, and the instant crank and drive-ability of the efi nice brakes... For some odd reason I like pumping the gas just the right amount of times on a cold day and knowing just how to feather it till warm... Maybe I will think on it a little longer..