The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2022, 01:37 AM   #26
lownslw64

Talking Re: Burb Gas Tank for EFI Conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southcity View Post
All us 60-66 Burb owners sure appreciate the info, feedback and pics you have shared to date. I am curious about the roll-over vent you removed.
-How is your tank vented now?
-Are you using a vented gas cap? if so which one and do you get any gas seepage/spill on spirited turns?
Thanks!
the rollover vent is supposed to stop fuel in a case of a accident. it is basically a check valve and when pressure is applied it blocks the hole. i took it out and just used a stainless steel 90 degree thread to tubing fitting and bent a piece of 1/2" s.s. tubing and used that for my return to the original location with a small piece of rubber in between the two. I figured if something was going to happen it really doesn't do much if i have a rollover that will stop the fuel but right next to it is the main fill line that has nothing stopping it. I used a new cap i bought with the tank from boyd but i cant remember if its vented or not. I'll double check and let you know.

Last edited by lownslw64; 03-03-2022 at 02:15 AM.
lownslw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 03:20 PM   #27
Southcity

Re: Burb Gas Tank for EFI Conversion?

Thanks lownslow64. My understanding of the design on the original tanks is that the smaller tube which leads back to the main fill tube (terminates just below the gas cap) is to help prevent gas from splashing back out (fill pressure) when filling the tank. If using a stock style fuel pump, tank pressure increases/decreases when driving, when ambient temperatures change etc. A vent is required somewhere to help with this, in stock form I believe the original gas cap was vented. My current gas cap, even though it's aftermarket, is also vented and helps with this. The only issue I have from time to time is a small amount of gas seepage from the vented cap if tank is more than half full and I take some hard turns.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:27 AM   #28
RoyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownslw64 View Post
The boyd tank is 19 gallons, My fill is 10.75 to center of pipe from front of tank and I left how it was placed from side to side in their standard location. It would be to your benefit to move that in a inch or two so when you install you can put it straight up and not have to angle into position. The pipe size is 1.5" also. The only issue i had with this setup is i also bought the rollover vent i think it's called but due to the location of the fill it would keep it closed when filling and not allow the tank to breathe causing it to always shut off. i ended up taking it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyL View Post
Thx for the info! Can you please clarify what you mean by the above in blue? Confused as to where the "standard location" is?
Can you clarify what you mean by "My fill is 10.75 to center of pipe from front of tank and I left how it was placed from side to side in their standard location. It would be to your benefit to move that in a inch or two so when you install you can put it straight up and not have to angle into position." Do you mean move it in 1 or 2 inches less than the 10.75"? Or you would move their "standard" location? Not sure what the standard location is...?

Last edited by RoyL; 03-14-2022 at 12:00 PM.
RoyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:30 PM   #29
lownslw64

Quote:
Can you clarify what you mean by "My fill is 10.75 to center of pipe from front of tank and I left how it was placed from side to side in their standard location. It would be to your benefit to move that in a inch or two so when you install you can put it straight up and not have to angle into position." Do you mean move it in 1 or 2 inches less than the 10.75"? Or you would move their "standard" location? Not sure what the standard location is...?

Sorry for the delay... To clarify of the post previously i altered my fill neck 10.75 from front of tank to Center of new fill pipe which i changed to 1.5" to match existing fill on 60's suburban. i was suggesting to inset the fill 1.5"pipe maybe a inch or so towards the center from there standard which shows 9.75 from center because i installed mine with my burb on jack stands using a floorjack i felt like i had to angle it a bit to get it into place as well as line it up with the brackets you mount to the frame for installation. It would just move the end of the fill pipe inward a bit to not be a comflict during install. It wasn't a huge pain but just a suggestion for my installation method. if you have a rack and more space available it probably wouldn't be such a problem. Let me know if that makes sense.
Old 03-20-2022, 01:09 PM   #30
RoyL

Quote:
Sorry for the delay... To clarify of the post previously i altered my fill neck 10.75 from front of tank to Center of new fill pipe which i changed to 1.5" to match existing fill on 60's suburban. i was suggesting to inset the fill 1.5"pipe maybe a inch or so towards the center from there standard which shows 9.75 from center because i installed mine with my burb on jack stands using a floorjack i felt like i had to angle it a bit to get it into place as well as line it up with the brackets you mount to the frame for installation. It would just move the end of the fill pipe inward a bit to not be a conflict during install. It wasn't a huge pain but just a suggestion for my installation method. if you have a rack and more space available it probably wouldn't be such a problem. Let me know if that makes sense.
Thanks! just making sure I understood...

So you would move the filler port and vent ~1" inward/closer to the center, 8.75" vs the standard of 9.75"

and use 10.75" from the front of the tank vs the standard 14.642"?

Reposting the diagram, since it cut off the left side dimension showing the standard filler port location of 14.642"

Old 03-20-2022, 10:30 PM   #31
lownslw64

Quote:
Thanks! just making sure I understood...

So you would move the filler port and vent ~1" inward/closer to the center, 8.75" vs the standard of 9.75"

and use 10.75" from the front of the tank vs the standard 14.642"?

Reposting the diagram, since it cut off the left side dimension showing the standard filler port location of 14.642"

Yes, i would move the filler 10.75 from the front of the tank and 8.75 from the center and change pipe size to 1.5" to hook right up to the existing fill. That will allow you the right size pipe, location to hook up and allow you the space to install without fighting it to much...good luck!
Old 03-26-2022, 11:40 AM   #32
RoyL

Quote:
Yes, i would move the filler 10.75 from the front of the tank and 8.75 from the center and change pipe size to 1.5" to hook right up to the existing fill. That will allow you the right size pipe, location to hook up and allow you the space to install without fighting it to much...good luck!
Thanks!

The Bad News: I tried to order from Boyd's but they are NOT doing any custom work... apparently new for 2022, you can only order existing products. however....

The Good News: They said Pro Performance offers a 63-66 Suburban tank!

From Boyd's: "The tank requested is very close a Suburban option that is available through one of our dealers, Pro Performance. These tanks are made to order by us and ship from our Florida location. Here is a link to the SUV tanks on his website: https://azproperformance.com/collections/boyd-welding-60-72-c10/products/boyd-aluminum-gas-tank-side-fill-67-72-2wd-blazer"

Anybody used one of these? I'm trying to confirm with Pro Performance the filler location to see how close is 'very close'... Stay tuned.

I did see Pro Performance has a build thread on a 64 Burb, but couldn't tell what tank they used... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...5&postcount=46
Old 03-28-2022, 11:26 PM   #33
RoyL

Quote:

Thanks!

The Bad News: I tried to order from Boyd's but they are NOT doing any custom work... apparently new for 2022, you can only order existing products. however....

The Good News: They said Pro Performance offers a 63-66 Suburban tank!

From Boyd's: "The tank requested is very close a Suburban option that is available through one of our dealers, Pro Performance. These tanks are made to order by us and ship from our Florida location. Here is a link to the SUV tanks on his website: https://azproperformance.com/collections/boyd-welding-60-72-c10/products/boyd-aluminum-gas-tank-side-fill-67-72-2wd-blazer"

Anybody used one of these? I'm trying to confirm with Pro Performance the filler location to see how close is 'very close'... Stay tuned.

I did see Pro Performance has a build thread on a 64 Burb, but couldn't tell what tank they used... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...5&postcount=46
According to Pro Performance, this photo shows where the filler is located, they said that this is an old design, they have added the filler vent tube to all side fill tanks now. It looks to be right about where it needs to be...

Old 03-29-2022, 10:54 AM   #34
lownslw64

When I ordered mine I spoke to the owner travis and he was in the process of making a suburban option through boyd because that was his suburban and there was no option for them without alot of work. I would call them and talk to travis and go over the measurements for verification.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:17 AM   #35
RoyL

Quote:
When I ordered mine I spoke to the owner travis and he was in the process of making a suburban option through boyd because that was his suburban and there was no option for them without alot of work. I would call them and talk to travis and go over the measurements for verification.
I PM'd Travis and ordered from another ProPerfomance guy. No forum discount though... lol. Ordered on 28-March and received it 28-Apr.
Here's a few pics, will post the fitment once I get there.

Filler tube does not protrude out from the tank like the stock one, but appears to line up pretty good front to back.

Old 04-30-2022, 10:27 AM   #36
Southcity

Thanks RoyL, those are some very helpful pics and that is one nice looking new tank. Almost a shame it hide it up under a truck looking forward to your fitment updates.
Old 04-30-2022, 11:13 AM   #37
lownslw64

Royl- Tank looks good. they made some nice improvements to it. Let us know how the install goes.
Old 05-30-2022, 08:34 AM   #38
RoyL

Quote:
Thanks RoyL, those are some very helpful pics and that is one nice looking new tank. Almost a shame it hide it up under a truck looking forward to your fitment updates.
Quote:
Royl- Tank looks good. they made some nice improvements to it. Let us know how the install goes.
A bit of an update, got the tank mocked up yesterday.

Filler tube could be 1" or so further rearward for perfect alignment, as recommended by lownslw64. Measured the tank and it's ~9" from the front edge of the tank. He suggested 10.75" Mounting flanges line up nicely, have about a 1/2" clearance front to back inside the cross braces. Interesting note, the front cross brace near the axle is slightly angled, apparently to allow room for the stabilizer mount. Y'all probably knew that... I thought I didn't have the tank lined up right, but it was the cross brace.

Old 05-30-2022, 01:10 PM   #39
Southcity

[QUOTE=RoyL;9085010]A bit of an update, got the tank mocked up yesterday.

Great pics and updates, nice to get real feedback on this tank install. Keep up the great work and keep us posted!
Old 06-23-2022, 07:36 AM   #40
SuperDuperDoughnuts

Any more updates? My long-term goal is EFI, and I'm currently having fuel pump issues. was half thinking about investing in a new tank and electric fuel pump now instead of replacing the mechanical... might as well, right?
SuperDuperDoughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:38 PM   #41
RoyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuperDoughnuts View Post
Any more updates? My long-term goal is EFI, and I'm currently having fuel pump issues. was half thinking about investing in a new tank and electric fuel pump now instead of replacing the mechanical... might as well, right?
Not yet, sorry. No engine yet, so can't finalize my plumbing. Next will be to mock up the filler and vent hoses.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:30 PM   #42
RoyL

[quote=Southcity;9085100]
Quote:
A bit of an update, got the tank mocked up yesterday.

Great pics and updates, nice to get real feedback on this tank install. Keep up the great work and keep us posted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuperDoughnuts View Post
Quote:
Not yet, sorry. No engine yet, so can't finalize my plumbing. Next will be to mock up the filler and vent hoses.

Update: Still no engine, so no plumbing yet but I mounted the tank brackets and trial fit the filler and vent hoses. Note that the truck sdie filler pipe OD is 1 3/8" and the tank filler pipe OD is 1.5" so the 1.5" filler hose is loose at the truck side connection, will see if the clamp will seal it tight enough. Length is only 8.5 to 9" and it's pretty stiff hose.

Since you can't get to the top side to mount bolts, I used the mounting plates that they sell as a kit. https://azproperformance.com/collect...g-mounting-kit

They have 3 threaded holes so you can blind mount the bolts from below. More tedious than I expected, just take your time and measure 3 times and drill once... lol. You could save the $ for the mounting kit and make your own or drop the bolts from the top and put the nuts on from the bottom.
Photos showing filler hoses alignment.

Old 09-12-2022, 05:00 PM   #43
Southcity

Thank you for posting these pics and providing the info, very helpful. Curious how you feel about the look of the tank under your Suburban now that it is installed? I find that the stock tanks are mostly invisible under our Suburbans, this one seems to peek out just a but but difficult to tell from the pics. For example, some options might be to powder coat it a semi gloss black, or even coat it in a truck bed liner, something to help hide it a bit, quiet it down, protect if from road debris etc.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:45 AM   #44
RoyL

Quote:
Thank you for posting these pics and providing the info, very helpful. Curious how you feel about the look of the tank under your Suburban now that it is installed? I find that the stock tanks are mostly invisible under our Suburbans, this one seems to peek out just a but but difficult to tell from the pics. For example, some options might be to powder coat it a semi gloss black, or even coat it in a truck bed liner, something to help hide it a bit, quiet it down, protect if from road debris etc.
Glad to post pics. I guess I would consider a little black rattle can if the tank was too obvious, but I personally wouldn't go to the trouble/expense of powder or undercoating.
Note that these pics were taken at bumper level or below, just to show that it is well above the rear differential. I don't think you'll see it even kneeling from the top of the bumper height or above.

Roy
Old 09-17-2022, 07:05 AM   #45
RoyL

[quote=RoyL;9122203]
Quote:

Update: Still no engine, so no plumbing yet but I mounted the tank brackets and trial fit the filler and vent hoses. Note that the truck side filler pipe OD is 1 3/8" and the tank filler pipe OD is 1.5" so the 1.5" filler hose is loose at the truck side connection, will see if the clamp will seal it tight enough. Length is only 8.5 to 9" and it's pretty stiff hose.
I used this filler hose, it's pretty stiff, has 2 steel "belts" imbedded.
Gates 23924, 1.5" diamater. https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-po...663-03601.html
And a loose fit on the truck side where the OD is ~1 3/8" May need a hose without the steel imbedded.

Anybody try something else? Considering putting a sleeve over the smaller filler on the truck side.