The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2022, 01:13 PM   #1
Android04

New Ignition install issues

Hello everyone and hope you all had Happy Holidays and everyone is staying healthy and strong. I'm in need of a little help.

So yesterday I replaced the ignition in a 1985 C30 with Tilt Column. I followed a YouTube video as this was my first attempt in a square body so wanted a good reference. Everything went smooth until I went to put it all back together. The bearing cap that sits in the race under the spring doesn't look like it goes in the race as far as needed.

When I took off the lock ring inside the locking plate it was all under pretty good pressure. On the video it all goes back together along with a few other online references I've found without any pressure, or little pressure. Also I noticed that the steering shaft is now sitting very loosely and moves in and out a couple inches.

Suggestions? Did I ruin a bearing by doing this? Should I follow "fix slop" walk through and tear it all down and tighten the 4 back screws and then re-assemble? Before doing this the tilt wheel had very little play in it.

Positive note: Ignition is in, works, and I now finally need a key. haha
Android04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 05:17 PM   #2
Android04

Re: New Ignition install issues

Here is a Pic I stole from a repair forum on another site. The distance the bearing cap/retainer sits back on the shaft is probably 1/8" further back then mine will sit.

Going to take another look tonight after work.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2022, 08:23 PM   #3
Big Moose

I had the same issue you were having. I had to use quite a bit of pressure to push it down, but once I installed the spring and the lock plate, it really tightened up nicely and has very little play. It initially didn't turn too easy, but after driving it for a bit and the grease worked it's way in, it's very smooth now.
Big Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:49 AM   #4
Dead Parrot

When I have done column fixes, that lock plate is under pressure and the split ring is a PITA to get off and on. If it went back easy, I think you missed a step.

Unless your wheel had noticeable slop when on rough roads, you can probably skip the 'fix slop' procedure until the next time you get this far into the column.

This tool makes removing and replacing the plate and spring a lot easier. Should be able to borrow one from one of the box store auto parts places.
Attached Images

Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:18 AM   #5
Android04

Ok good, so the needed pressure is a must! Thank goodness. I will tackle this again this week
Old 01-06-2022, 04:45 PM   #6
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android04 View Post
Ok good, so the needed pressure is a must! Thank goodness. I will tackle this again this week
Good help here. And good luck android. Be cool to know how it goes back together for you.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:24 AM   #7
Android04

Thanks everyone for all the help! I ended up getting this fixed up! Steering is tighter then ever.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:01 PM   #8
LT7A

Good to hear, thanks for the update!
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote