The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #1
tmills213

64 C20 front disc clarification and Spindle ID

Please do not grill me too bad for this post but I am starting to confuse myself what will and will not work. My current setup is the stock everything up front for my 64 c20. After reading many great threads such as this one

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...57&postcount=3

I figured this setup from a 1976 c20 that was already converted to discs would work well and it was pretty cheap (compared to the spindles specific to my truck). I have the steering linkage and box as well. It does have a sway bar as well. It looks like the ball joints are riveted in and never changed so the must be the stock 76 ones. Now my questions are:

1) Does anyone recognize this spindle/ caliper combo?
2) Some say it will work if (in my case) I put 76 upper and lower ball joints in my 64 control arms. Some say it wont or are not sure since the lower control arm is not right.
3) Am I best just installing the entire crossmember? This seems like a daunting task to me.
4) Do i need the sway bar?

New airlift 2600s are waiting to go in as well so id like to do thing in the correct order and not mess with it twice.

Thanks!

I know you guys love pictures:

Upper

tmills213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
tmills213

Re: 64 C20 front disc clarification and Spindle ID

Anyone?
Old 03-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #3
earl84

2) Some say it will work if (in my case) I put 76 upper and lower ball joints in my 64 control arms. Some say it wont or are not sure since the lower control arm is not right.
3) Am I best just installing the entire crossmember? This seems like a daunting task to me.

New airlift 2600s are waiting to go in as well so id like to do thing in the correct order and not mess with it twice.

1) You said that the setup was from a 76, so I guess I don't understand your first question. It certainly looks like the spindle and calipers from a 76 to me. I did a swap to 79 C20 entire crossmember on my 66 C20 and those look identical. But I am no expert, I only have experience with one swap.
2) I don't know about the mixing and matching of the ball joints, which is a part of the reason I did the whole swap, it just makes life easier ordering parts later.
3) I've already said I replaced the whole crossmember, so you know which way I am leaning on this one. It can be intimidating, but if your engine is out (which it probably isn't since you didn't mention it), it is not so bad. It can be swapped with the engine installed if you support the engine somehow. Do a search for a member named Hilander, he did it this way. VERY good pictures and helpful thread.
4) you don't NEED the sway bar, but trust me, you WANT the swaybar. It makes a HUGE difference.
As for the bags, I have never installed bags on the front, but from what I have read, you will need plates for the upper control arm, cups for the lower control arm, and all the associated air fittings, lines, and air management system, whether that is Schrader valves or a compressor and its controls.
Member way2lo2 did a thread some time ago about their budget install that took a day and cost just over $1000, you should search for that.
Sorry I can't answer everything for you, but this should get you a little ways down the road anyway.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #4
tmills213

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl84 View Post

1) You said that the setup was from a 76, so I guess I don't understand your first question. It certainly looks like the spindle and calipers from a 76 to me. I did a swap to 79 C20 entire crossmember on my 66 C20 and those look identical. But I am no expert, I only have experience with one swap.
2) I don't know about the mixing and matching of the ball joints, which is a part of the reason I did the whole swap, it just makes life easier ordering parts later.
3) I've already said I replaced the whole crossmember, so you know which way I am leaning on this one. It can be intimidating, but if your engine is out (which it probably isn't since you didn't mention it), it is not so bad. It can be swapped with the engine installed if you support the engine somehow. Do a search for a member named Hilander, he did it this way. VERY good pictures and helpful thread.
4) you don't NEED the sway bar, but trust me, you WANT the swaybar. It makes a HUGE difference.
As for the bags, I have never installed bags on the front, but from what I have read, you will need plates for the upper control arm, cups for the lower control arm, and all the associated air fittings, lines, and air management system, whether that is Schrader valves or a compressor and its controls.
Member way2lo2 did a thread some time ago about their budget install that took a day and cost just over $1000, you should search for that.
Sorry I can't answer everything for you, but this should get you a little ways down the road anyway.

1 you are right , I guess i wasn't very clear. I guess I was asking if anyone can confirm what the numbering was or if they have done it and they look familiar, which you did.
-Did you keep the original steering or use the later model and add pump?
-The engine is in and the entire front end is still on and i am afraid to even attempt to remove since some bolted joints have become a single rust unit and I dont want a body resto, yet.

I have seen hilanders post and he made it look way too easy!

There is little info on the ball joint info and I may mess around with it to help others out, worst case I still have the entire xmember.

Thanks for the response !!
Old 03-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #5
earl84

You may be able to find a quick answer to your ball joint question here, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4450757 or look in the FAQ section under the brakes area, and there is a ton of info, almost too much to digest.
I used the power steering gearbox that came off the same '79 C20 that I got the crossmember out of. Bought Captainfab's PS bracket, made it pretty easy to do, but again, that was with the engine out. I imagine that will be a little tricky with the engine in as well. My power steering was missing parts, and in need of a rebuild, so I decided to upgrade all at once.
The power steering pump is a whole different story in my case. I replaced the engine with a 454, installed a SBC serpentine setup and used a pump from the same model year as the serp setup was from. It produced too much flow for the PS and it was overly sensitive at highway speeds. There's more to it, but it's a long story. Bottom line if you can, just get Captainfab's bracket, use the PS gearbox and pump from the same year as the rest of your setup and it will all work fine.
I haven't addressed the tie rods and all that, either, but since I replaced my whole crossmember, it was easy to figure it out. I don't know if you will have to buy adapters or not, but there are guys on here who have done everything you want to do, and are more than willing to help. It can be a little more challenging finding info and parts for C20's, and a lot of guys just swap everything to C10 stuff for ease of finding parts and expense as well. I wanted to be different so I kept it all C20 knowing it might be more of a challenge, but it's not insurmountable by any means.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote