The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2022, 08:32 PM   #1
Bocephus69

Who's running 9'' or 10'' wide front wheels with 4.5'' or less backspacing??

I am trying to decide if I should stick to an 8'' wide wheel with 4.5'' backspacing, or if I should jump up to a wider wheel. I love the look of these wheels in the photo, but I don't want to worry about tires rubbing...
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2022, 02:32 PM   #2
Big Kev-O

Re: Who's running 9'' or 10'' wide front wheels with 4.5'' or less backspacing??

It all depends on how low you want to be at ride height and what suspension parts you use. Is your suspension complete? Do you plan on using tubular control arms, modular drop spindles or a drop member? All three of these can change your track width. Once you have your suspension completed you should measure to make sure everything has clearance. I built a measuring tool and verified clearance before I ordered my Detroit Steel Wheels. Cost me like $20 to build the tool. A 20x8 wheel is actually 9 inches wide overall. Wheels are measured bead to bead so you must add 1 inch to get the actual overall size. You will hardly notice the difference between a 8 or 9 inch front wheel so 8" is the safe bet. I wouldn't worry about the front width unless I was building a pro touring truck that gets track time. I'm running 20x8 front and 20x11 rear wheels. You want the extra meat in the rear!(LOL)

Those look like 18" or 20" Detroit Steel Wheels which are made to order and fairly expensive. The orange slammed 72 C10 in their catalog is running 20x8 with 4.5" backspace BUT it definitely has some serious modifications to the front suspension. I can almost guarantee that trucks track width has been narrowed about 1" to get that wheel tucked in there.

It took DSW about 7 weeks to build & ship my wheels. I waited an additional month for the center caps & lug nuts to be delivered. It will take 8-12 weeks to get those wheels.

Link to tool info:
https://stevestillwell.com/written-t...ystery-solved/
Attached Images

Last edited by Big Kev-O; 01-17-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Big Kev-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:42 AM   #3
BrentBTK

Re: Who's running 9'' or 10'' wide front wheels with 4.5'' or less backspacing??

These are 18x9 with 5" backspacing. Truck is lowered 4/6. 255/40 up front, 275/40 in back.
Attached Images

BrentBTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:00 AM   #4
Bocephus69

5'' front drop, CPP modular drop spindles, suspension is not complete. The fenders are not even on the truck as I am working on it over this winter. I figured someone else has been through this and could help me out. Id like to get the wheels ordered so they're here by spring. The last set I ordered for my Lincoln took about 2 months.

I'm wanting more of a "lip" on the wheel, not necessarily just a wider wheel (as seen in my original post) which are 20x? With an unknown offset. These trucks are a dim a dozen, so I was just looking for input on what others have done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev-O View Post
It all depends on how low you want to be at ride height and what suspension parts you use. Is your suspension complete? Do you plan on using tubular control arms, modular drop spindles or a drop member? All three of these can change your track width. Once you have your suspension completed you should measure to make sure everything has clearance. I built a measuring tool and verified clearance before I ordered my Detroit Steel Wheels. Cost me like $20 to build the tool. A 20x8 wheel is actually 9 inches wide overall. Wheels are measured bead to bead so you must add 1 inch to get the actual overall size. You will hardly notice the difference between a 8 or 9 inch front wheel so 8" is the safe bet. I wouldn't worry about the front width unless I was building a pro touring truck that gets track time. I'm running 20x8 front and 20x11 rear wheels. You want the extra meat in the rear!(LOL)

Those look like 18" or 20" Detroit Steel Wheels which are made to order and fairly expensive. The orange slammed 72 C10 in their catalog is running 20x8 with 4.5" backspace BUT it definitely has some serious modifications to the front suspension. I can almost guarantee that trucks track width has been narrowed about 1" to get that wheel tucked in there.

It took DSW about 7 weeks to build & ship my wheels. I waited an additional month for the center caps & lug nuts to be delivered. It will take 8-12 weeks to get those wheels.

Link to tool info:
https://stevestillwell.com/written-t...ystery-solved/
Old 01-18-2022, 10:02 AM   #5
Bocephus69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentBTK View Post
These are 18x9 with 5" backspacing. Truck is lowered 4/6. 255/40 up front, 275/40 in back.
do the tires ever rub?
Old 01-18-2022, 10:08 AM   #6
BrentBTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus69 View Post
do the tires ever rub?
They do not. I have the CPP tubular control arms, drop spindles, and lowering springs. Handles great, no rubbing or speed bump issues.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:56 PM   #7
BrentBTK

From the front:
Attached Images