The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2021, 12:59 AM   #23
dsraven

Re: 51 Chevy on a Ford Explorer Subframe - Time for a Different Frame Swap!

you could also fab a bump out section that would cover all the suspension parts and have a hole, with rubber plug, to access the shock bolt. once you get the body at the right height and figure out your engine clearance you will figure it out.
I like your frame stands, it's a different version of what I did with mine. once set up, the frame ain't going anywhere unless a stand takes a good hit.
using the stock tank will save you headaches and time.
too bad you couldn't find a cheap frame rear section that you could cut at the right place and graft onto your front section. that way there would only be a single weld on each side. I suggest to temporarily weld on some lengths of angle iron or something that is long enough to accommodate the new weld in section length so the pieces will be easy to keep in line until you're done. of course you will use your machinists level but the extra parts would be a third hand. angle iron and c clamp vice grips are great.
I was at Canadian Hotrods in Tappen and had a tour a few years back. when they get their laser cut frame parts made they have little tabs on the edges to keep the parts correctly spaced for the welding process. great idea. (awesome looking frames too!). you could do the same with a flat washer tacked in the space, when the parts are correctly spaced and tacked together just hammer the flat washer out of the way.
keep posting up pics, I am sure I am not the only one who finds it interesting.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote