The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2021, 03:46 PM   #1
May70

need crate motor advice

I need to purchase a motor for my c20 project. I would like a simple 350 turn key crate engine with efi. Its going to be a driver and I will tow a 7k car trailer occasionally. Im also leaning towards getting a different transmission because the original 4spd manual granny trans isnt the smoothest cruiser. I want something smoother than that for cruising. I want to go 65 mph without the trans wound up.

Not a big fan of a seasoned/reman block but ive never owned one. I see Chevy Performance 350 turn key is about $6k without the efi throttle body and the zz6 is like $8500. Pretty expensive but there seems to be only a few thousand difference between a brand new engine vs one with used block/heads(?). Seems like a few thousand bucks is well spent for a new engine.

Anyone got some advice for me on this? THX

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:09 PM   #2
un4gvn!

Re: need crate motor advice

If you already have a 350, your better off rebuilding it. If there is a machine shop near you, it's a lot cheaper to rebuild. If they have to bore, go 383 if it's in your budget. Parts cost the same and the labor should be the same. Some of the crate motors of today are mass produced and they don't put much care in the assembly.
un4gvn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:38 PM   #3
May70

I do not have a 350. I don't really want to deal with rolling the dice with a parts truck or craigslist engine either.

I don't know enough about rebuilt engines but I'm looking for something that's going to last a very long time and be dependable. One that needs to be rebuilt (especially bored out) just seems too far gone. Am I looking at that wrong?

Ive only known a handful of guys to have their 350s rebuilt but once it happened it wasn't long before they had issues again. Not what I am looking to deal with.

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:59 PM   #4
Smitty

I recently purchased a 350 HO Deluxe GM Performance engine. If you google gm performance you will come up with a dealer in Green Bay, Wisconsin. A good place to look for what a new engine is available. The one I bought is carbureted, 330 hp. Using a 670 cfm Holley. The only thing not included is the fuel pump, oil filter, and brackets a/c compressor, power steering pump, and alternator. Since I pulled this complete Assy. off a 93 in a wrecking yard and put rebuilt assesories on it. It is to be transplanted into my ‘71 next week. I am running a 700t4 behind it. It’s been in my truck for about 15+ years and recently rebuilt. I used the information from the website. The price and shopped my local dealers to find one that gave me close to the on line price. That way I have a local source if there is an issue. My brother has this engine in his ‘71 and loves it. Just an idea to through out there. Prior to this I did run a .060 over rebuilt 350 for abou 18 yrs.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:02 PM   #5
tim_mc

You might consider buying a Chevy Performance L31 Vortec 350 P/N 12691673 long block with hydraulic roller cam, 1 piece rear seal, 4-bolt main. Add intake and EFI.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:05 PM   #6
bigmac73

May
I will chime in here....
I have a std bore 880 350 roller block
and a set of Vortec GM heads part NR NAL-12691728 that need to be freshened up . That you can have for a little negotiation. you would need to pay attention to the max valve lift with these heads or get them upgraded for a little higher lift cam shaft (pretty common)
https://www.chevelles.com/threads/ea...e-lift.111051/

that would make a nice 383 for the street, using a stroker kit from skip white

or take a look at
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-CHEVY-3...YAAOSw32lYsdfS

see what others say on here....
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:28 PM   #7
Sheepdip

Try Pace Performance Connect and Cruise Packages.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:57 PM   #8
gmc684x4

Skogen dicky and summit racing are two good places for a new gm crate motor gm ht383 with fuel injection was around 5k
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:43 AM   #9
saxart

I went with this engine, and couldn't be happier:

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/059/7353/10002/-1

It's the low budget, low HP engine, but seeing as some of these trucks came with an inline 6, it's plenty of HP for general cruising and occasional towing. At the time (a couple of years ago) I paid $1350 for a brand new engine delivered to my door! It is not a "one piece main bearing seal" or roller cam motor, but it is a great option for a truck that is only a weekend cruiser like mine.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:16 AM   #10
Chiefdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
I went with this engine, and couldn't be happier:

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/059/7353/10002/-1

It's the low budget, low HP engine, but seeing as some of these trucks came with an inline 6, it's plenty of HP for general cruising and occasional towing. At the time (a couple of years ago) I paid $1350 for a brand new engine delivered to my door! It is not a "one piece main bearing seal" or roller cam motor, but it is a great option for a truck that is only a weekend cruiser like mine.
I have this engine in my '67 shortbed stepside also . With an Edelbrock 4 barrel manifold and carb. running a th350 automatic it will spin the tires from a standing start, Good enough for me. i would also recommend ATK Performance Engines if you are looking for a turn key EFI engine. Very reputable company. I have their 101c stroker in a '64 Nova gasser. Turns 12 seconds with a 4 speed Muncie. couldn't be happier with the engine or the service I received, i would call them and tell them exactly what you have and what you expect from an engine. good luck.
Chiefdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:20 AM   #11
cj847

I worked in the automotive industry. I don't care what anyone says, a new engine direct from GM is better than any rebuild period. Why?
The manufacturing processes and cleanliness are far superior to anything you can do in a local shop. Sure you might get lucky and get a good one, but a direct from factory will be right 99.95% of the time vs probably 70-80% of the time at a local shop.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:28 AM   #12
Trash

There’s a Chevrolet dealership in Virginia that sells a brand new (not reman) 350 GM crate motor for about 2K with free shipping. I looked in to this awhile back but decided to re-build my original 6. Can’t remember the engine specs (hp, etc) or where it was assembled but they had good customer reviews on youtube. As much money I’ve put into parts and machining, I could’ve bought their 350.
Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:31 PM   #13
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash View Post
There’s a Chevrolet dealership in Virginia that sells a brand new (not reman) 350 GM crate motor for about 2K with free shipping. I looked in to this awhile back but decided to re-build my original 6. Can’t remember the engine specs (hp, etc) or where it was assembled but they had good customer reviews on youtube. As much money I’ve put into parts and machining, I could’ve bought their 350.
The name is Radley Chevrolet. They are actually who I bought my engine from. They used to be the cheapest price around. Not sure if they still are, but I'd give them a call for sure.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:41 AM   #14
Stover93

Quote:
Originally Posted by May70 View Post
I need to purchase a motor for my c20 project. I would like a simple 350 turn key crate engine with efi. Its going to be a driver and I will tow a 7k car trailer occasionally. Im also leaning towards getting a different transmission because the original 4spd manual granny trans isnt the smoothest cruiser. I want something smoother than that for cruising. I want to go 65 mph without the trans wound up.

Not a big fan of a seasoned/reman block but ive never owned one. I see Chevy Performance 350 turn key is about $6k without the efi throttle body and the zz6 is like $8500. Pretty expensive but there seems to be only a few thousand difference between a brand new engine vs one with used block/heads(?). Seems like a few thousand bucks is well spent for a new engine.

Anyone got some advice for me on this? THX
I got my zz6 Efi and a tremec 5 speed from silver sport trans. Expensive but worth it in my opinion. Silver sport was great to deal with.
Stover93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:55 PM   #15
tdangle

Since you want to tow 7K, I would go with the GM performance 383 and add FI. Torque is what you are gong to want and this package will give you what you need. You might also consider one of their packages that include a 4 speed auto trans,

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:35 PM   #16
i82much

for 6k you are getting close to the cost of a basic 496 and a holley sniper.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:01 AM   #17
ChevyRacefan

If they still offer it, The ramjet 350 is efi. and the long block is the gm 96-2000 truck vortec v8.
makes good torque and hp. and is a proven set up that go 150k+ without trying .
I have used 7 of the gm crate 350 vortec 350's. most are just shy of 200k now and are still going strong.
You could go 383 but you don't need to, unless you have a bunch of hills to climb while towing 7k behind it. and I would be more worried about the brakes, than the extra 40 ft lb of torque of an engine.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:10 PM   #18
bigmac73

May70
That is why I said take the GM 350 880 Roller block (96 and up L31 Vortec engines) I have to build and add a nice roller cam and use the factory roller lifter set up. or stroke it to a 383 for more low end torque. and use the Vortec heads or get a nice set of budget aluminum heads
See the link below i started on Hotrodders.com after i picked up the block a few years ago.. good read

https://www.hotrodders.com/threads/o...-block.357697/
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:38 PM   #19
Smitty

Got the truck back with the motor I posted in the previously. Extremely happy with it. Although the first one that was shipped to me had apparently been dropped somewhere along the line. Bent flex plate, ruined intake , and then turned out the carburetor was toast as well. But after all is said and done it does get effortlessly down the freeway. As said it was pricey, but at this time in life don’t have a lot of other toys I want to spend money on and you can’t take it with you.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:26 PM   #20
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Got the truck back with the motor I posted in the previously. Extremely happy with it. Although the first one that was shipped to me had apparently been dropped somewhere along the line. Bent flex plate, ruined intake , and then turned out the carburetor was toast as well. But after all is said and done it does get effortlessly down the freeway. As said it was pricey, but at this time in life don’t have a lot of other toys I want to spend money on and you can’t take it with you.
I have the 330 hp engine in my 55, and I love it too.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #21
greenweenie1969

I went with West Coast Engines. They have many models to choose from and you can customize a lot of the engine. (Color, serpentine belt kit, EFI, valve covers, air filter.)
greenweenie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote