The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2021, 08:21 PM   #1
bennylava
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 231
Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

Hi all, I'd like to ditch the factory air controls for my 87 truck and get something more modern. After 12 years of owning the truck (never gonna sell it) I find that I just don't like those old levers. I guess I never liked em.

Is anyone aware of something with buttons or knobs that would fit in the factory slot? Instead of those old style levers. Who knows, maybe there's even something out there with a digital readout of some kind. Doesn't have to be though. Just something that will fit, that I can hook up all the factory air stuff too. I do have air conditioning so that might affect which one I can get.

Maybe an odd request I know, but I just don't like those things.

Thanks!
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
v30crewcab
Registered User
 
v30crewcab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chatt Tn
Posts: 808
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

don't know of any direct fit, unless vintage air has a different panel for their system.
__________________
88 military v30 crewcab shortbed
5.9 cummins, nv4500, 205
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:01 PM   #3
Keith Seymore
Registered User
 
Keith Seymore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Motor City
Posts: 8,240
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
Hi all, I'd like to ditch the factory air controls for my 87 truck and get something more modern. After 12 years of owning the truck (never gonna sell it) I find that I just don't like those old levers. I guess I never liked em.

Is anyone aware of something with buttons or knobs that would fit in the factory slot? Instead of those old style levers. Who knows, maybe there's even something out there with a digital readout of some kind. Doesn't have to be though. Just something that will fit, that I can hook up all the factory air stuff too. I do have air conditioning so that might affect which one I can get.

Maybe an odd request I know, but I just don't like those things.

Thanks!
Whew!

I'd like to ditch the controls in my '04 and go back to something like in my '87!

K
__________________
Chevrolet Flint Assembly
1979-1986
GM Full Size Truck Engineering
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #4
bennylava
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 231
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v30crewcab View Post
don't know of any direct fit, unless vintage air has a different panel for their system.
I've heard that just about any will work once you adapt the fittings. So that leaves only the size. Which means I'll have to find a way to get measurements on different ones. Might just have to take mine to the junkyard and ask the guys working there which ones are the same size.

I'm guessing not many, but there's bound to be something out there. The modern ones are probably all somewhat larger.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:13 PM   #5
Bloodhound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 183
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
I've heard that just about any will work once you adapt the fittings. So that leaves only the size. Which means I'll have to find a way to get measurements on different ones. Might just have to take mine to the junkyard and ask the guys working there which ones are the same size.

I'm guessing not many, but there's bound to be something out there. The modern ones are probably all somewhat larger.
Keep in mind that any modern setup the controls are electronic and yours are vacuum operated.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:20 PM   #6
Axle
Registered User
 
Axle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 981
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

I did this with a ford, I spent a few days pouring over vacuum manuals searching for newer vehicles that had the same vacuum logic tree as the original and in my case, had a cable controlled blend door. Then I went to the autowreckers to find said vehicles and see what would potentially fit.
I'd start with having a close look at the next generation gm trucks or whenever they went to dials and see if they still operated the blend doors the same way. If so, you're golden. Just a matter of patching the old and new together.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:59 PM   #7
SunSoaked
Registered User
 
SunSoaked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yuma Arizona
Posts: 1,414
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

Do what I did, tear every last piece of the OEM system out and install a modern plug and play system in. I'm using Vintage Air surefit and it works perfect. Do the entire system, r134 Sander compressor and all. Second best thing I ever did to my truck.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:58 PM   #8
Bloodhound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 183
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
Do what I did, tear every last piece of the OEM system out and install a modern plug and play system in. I'm using Vintage Air surefit and it works perfect. Do the entire system, r134 Sander compressor and all. Second best thing I ever did to my truck.
Same here.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:03 AM   #9
bennylava
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 231
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
Do what I did, tear every last piece of the OEM system out and install a modern plug and play system in. I'm using Vintage Air surefit and it works perfect. Do the entire system, r134 Sander compressor and all. Second best thing I ever did to my truck.
Did you get a new air control unit with the vintage air stuff?
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:29 PM   #10
Bloodhound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 183
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
Did you get a new air control unit with the vintage air stuff?
Yes, and it's all electronic like modern vehicles.

Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:06 PM   #11
Just call me Sean
Registered User
 
Just call me Sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Orlando Florida
Posts: 775
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

The next gen control would probably fit, but it wouldn't control anything without the motors that move everything.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Cuyler
Fights begin, fingerprints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:33 PM   #12
SunSoaked
Registered User
 
SunSoaked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yuma Arizona
Posts: 1,414
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

Vintage Air is the way to go. You also lose all the junk on the firewall. It all fits inside the cab. I live in Yuma AZ. Its 120 plus here in the summer. It blows 43-45 degrees out the vents. No rotted vacuum hoses, sticky cables, stuck relays, blah, blah blah. It's the 2nd best thing I've ever done to my truck.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:49 PM   #13
Just call me Sean
Registered User
 
Just call me Sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Orlando Florida
Posts: 775
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

I never had any problems getting the factory system below 50 degrees.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Cuyler
Fights begin, fingerprints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 02:52 PM   #14
bennylava
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 231
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
Vintage Air is the way to go. You also lose all the junk on the firewall. It all fits inside the cab. I live in Yuma AZ. Its 120 plus here in the summer. It blows 43-45 degrees out the vents. No rotted vacuum hoses, sticky cables, stuck relays, blah, blah blah. It's the 2nd best thing I've ever done to my truck.
How much did you pay for everything in total?

Next question - Looking at that pic of the control unit, how do you turn on the AC itself?
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:18 PM   #15
Just call me Sean
Registered User
 
Just call me Sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Orlando Florida
Posts: 775
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

Probably by moving one of those levers you don't like.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Cuyler
Fights begin, fingerprints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:26 PM   #16
Bloodhound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 183
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
Probably by moving one of those levers you don't like.
Yup. The levers are connected to the computer contained on the below dash unit. Just slide towards cold and it turns on.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 08:24 PM   #17
SunSoaked
Registered User
 
SunSoaked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yuma Arizona
Posts: 1,414
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
Yup. The levers are connected to the computer contained on the below dash unit. Just slide towards cold and it turns on.
Exactly.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:48 PM   #18
83GMCK2500
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaverton, OR from WA State
Posts: 1,508
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
Yes, and it's all electronic like modern vehicles.

Hoping someone from VA or one of the other companies with an update kit see this: YOUR CONTROLS DO NOT MATCH THE OEM LOOK. They look like complete ASSHOLE when placed side-by-side to stock controls.
__________________
Devin

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:05 PM   #19
SunSoaked
Registered User
 
SunSoaked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yuma Arizona
Posts: 1,414
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
Hoping someone from VA or one of the other companies with an update kit see this: YOUR CONTROLS DO NOT MATCH THE OEM LOOK. They look like complete ASSHOLE when placed side-by-side to stock controls.
The look is subjective. The function and reliability is spot on. Choices.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:40 AM   #20
Bloodhound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 183
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
Hoping someone from VA or one of the other companies with an update kit see this: YOUR CONTROLS DO NOT MATCH THE OEM LOOK. They look like complete ASSHOLE when placed side-by-side to stock controls.
Well, it's not OEM, so why would it.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:30 AM   #21
bennylava
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 231
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
Vintage Air is the way to go. You also lose all the junk on the firewall. It all fits inside the cab. I live in Yuma AZ. Its 120 plus here in the summer. It blows 43-45 degrees out the vents. No rotted vacuum hoses, sticky cables, stuck relays, blah, blah blah. It's the 2nd best thing I've ever done to my truck.
Does that create any new noises inside the cab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
Yup. The levers are connected to the computer contained on the below dash unit. Just slide towards cold and it turns on.
But what if you want to use the coldest setting, but not the AC? In texas, we have long shoulder seasons. Spring and fall last for months. It's a great time to just use the outside air, and save gas and have a bit more power. Those controls look like you don't get a button to turn the AC on or off. Given that, I'd have to pass on that one. Kinda lacking in features imo. I'd probably use the rest of the vintage air system, just not the controller.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:40 AM   #22
SunSoaked
Registered User
 
SunSoaked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yuma Arizona
Posts: 1,414
Re: Different air controls for an 87 (with AC)

You're over thinking it. Probably better off sticking with the old stuff.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2020 67-72chevytrucks.com