The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM   #1
KY_GMC

Driveshaft Carrier Bearing

Not sure how many people have had carrier bearing issues, but mine failed after 12k miles after a rebuild. I started having vibration issues at highway speeds and noticed that the carrier bearing had some movement in it. Took the drive shaft to my drive line shop (Cincinnati Driveline) and they found that the old bearing (NEAPCO 210370-1X) had deformed on the upper flat edge. (It is kind of hard to see from this photo but the silver sheet metal edge is bowed out and the rubber around the bearing had deformed, making it loose in the holder)

Name:  IMG_0083.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  110.6 KB

After discussing with them, I mentioned that I had to place washers between the bearing mount and the bearing to align the angles. The flat of the bearing was not touching the hanger mounting bracket. The force of the drive shaft to the bearing must have caused the surface to deform.

The suggested to use this bearing instead (NEAPCO 217042) which has a much stronger outer casing and the rubber insert seems stiffer. It is the same dimensions as the older version and was used in the S10 and Blazers.

Name:  IMG_0082.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  110.4 KB

Additionally, I made sure that the flat bearing surface was in contact with the bearing hanger.

So far, after adjusting angles for the past two days, the vibration is gone ! Time and miles will tell how long this one lasts.

Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592157
Engine Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592233
KY_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote