The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
K10mashup350

Had an axle flip?

So I recently bought a "86 c/k" that has 2" drop spindles (possibly cut/lowering springs as well, sits really low) in front but the back still up at stock height (looked like a drag car really gay looking) so I brought it home an figured I would do a flip kit with c notch to "level" it out an as I got looking into the flip kit an looking at the rear suspension of the truck more I noticed that it had been done once already, the notch is in the frame already and they moved the upper shock mount down n closer to the rear as well as drilled the offset holes in the ubolt plates, so as it sits an as far as I can tell all I need is a new spring perch (don't know how they had it before but can see where it used to sit)

So my questions are do I need anything other than the spring perch?

Is it safe to move the upper shock mount as opposed to the ones that come with the kits for on the axle? Or stock location with lowering shocks?

An once this is done is there any "easy" way to reset the pinion angle an shaft to correct location from being "pushed" forward with the flip?

Thanks in advance guys I did search these things but I didn't come up with anything 100% on what I was looking for maybe it was my keywords?
K10mashup350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:02 AM   #2
875.3CHEVY

Re: Had an axle flip?

just get a mcgaugheys flip kit.they do all that centering up and pinion angle stuff and are strong.then get a set of lowered shocks and youre done.
875.3CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
K10mashup350

I did think of buying a flip kit but with 90% of it done there's not much point, as far as I can tell it's just the spring perch.... I can pick them up at TSC for like 2.99$ a piece or spend the money on a kit... Just don't seem right to spend the $ when I don't need to, and really don't have it

I just can't justify paying 130$ on a set of perches, unbolts, and spring plates when I can get new perches and adjust everything? Right?

Last edited by K10mashup350; 02-18-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

When I did the flip kit on my square body, I just used generic weld on axle saddles. Then I reused the factory u bolts and plates. It cost me 13 bucks total, which was for the spring plates themselves.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
K10mashup350

Well I drove all over hells acres today from 9 till now looking for axle saddles an no one had them but one place but they only had saddles for 1 3/4 leafs (small trailer) and I needed at least 2.5 so last place I when was a machine shop that makes a lot of parts for a custom truck shop near by an he's gonna cut an bend a set that look identical to the djm/bell tech/mcgunghtys perches for 30$ pick up is tomorrow morning
Old 02-19-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
K10mashup350

What the common offset hole distance when moving the axle back after a home flip? I keep reading different things that very from 1/2"-1" back?
Old 02-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
Tx Firefighter

I had read on here to offset it rearward 3/4 " so that's what I did. I drilled the holes in the axle saddles and the lower plates. When I got it together, the wheels were too far rearward for me to live with.

I'm very sorry for the poor pictures here....

So, I took it back apart and used the center holes in the axle saddles. Without the offset, the wheel fit the opening properly.

For me, having the wheels sit properly in the wheel openings was way more important that saving the hassle of driveshaft mods. I actually wound up using a stock 87 model SWB driveshaft after I moved the wheelbase to the centered position.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
K10mashup350

So it always shifts the rear back? I thought you were able to adjust it in a way where it at least looked centred? Or is that only capable with the stock centre holes? Would 1/2" offset work or would that cause axle length issues and pinion angle issues? .... I have some body work to do to so I could also potentially move the wheel well to get it to look centred or change the shaft later, but ATM I just need to get the rear end of my truck back together
Old 02-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #9
Tx Firefighter

On my truck, when I shifted it rearward like commonly suggested, the wheelbase was too long and the wheels pushed towards the back of the wheel wells.

I had to go back and put it in the centered holes in the spring pads to get the wheelbase right and make the truck look like it should.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
K10mashup350

Ok well I'm just going to center mine an deal with the axle length either by shortening the shaft I have or getting a "new" shorter one

Has anyone one a flip with 2" blocks? If they have pics would be awesome! But how much lower would it sit? Would it hit the frame?

Last edited by K10mashup350; 02-19-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #11
K10mashup350

So I have an issue with my shocks, more than 1.... Took them out to do the flip, clean em up (repaint) an put the "boots" back on properly... But with them off I figured I'd also figure out wtf they were cause I kno there not original, well from what I could read of the manufacturers stickers is that they are rancho5000's ? Generally (from what I've read) a good shock for lifting but the truck was low then put back sock now going back down 8" or so with a flip and 2" blocks... Question here is will they work on a low truck? Or would stock be a better choice even for the time being? Second is that I'm pretty sure they are blown (possibly from the first drop? Or from going from a drop to stock height?) but good shocks return to the highest point possible when nothing stops them correct? Well these things don't do a damn thing! I compress them an they stay there?! Is this a common thing for rancho shocks or am I looking at it correctly when I say there blown?

Btw the shocks are aprox. 22 1/4"- 22 1/2" from "eye" to "eye"(bolt holes)

Thanks

Last edited by K10mashup350; 02-20-2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Missed info
Old 02-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #12
K10mashup350

Slammed! Aprox, 8" rear
Attached Images