The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2019, 10:37 PM   #1
all_american_c10

Problems Re-Installing Front Wheel Hub

I just located and bought back my grandfather's old '67 C10. He bought it new, my Dad learned to drive in it, and it was my first truck until I sold it to my cousin when I joined the Army back in "95. She's in pretty rough shape. I decided the first order of business would be a brake job all the way around.

Starting on the passenger side front, I'm replacing all brake components (including the drums) as well as the inner and outer bearings and races, the seal and the dust cap.

As I went to reinstall the hub, I can't get the castle nut to screw onto the spindle far enough to expose the hole for the cotter pin. I've checked to insure the races are fully seated (they are) and that I have the correct bearings and races (according to O'Reilly's and the inter webs, I do). Something is obviously afoul. The only thing I see that makes me a little curious is that even when fully seated agains the outer edge of the inner bearing race, the seal protrudes from the hub about a 1/16 - 1/8". Can't remember if the old one was flush or not.

Any ideas? Seems like it has to be something obvious that I'm missing. Frustrating for such a simple job to be causing such a problem.
My first ride in the 90's
Owned by my cousin for last 20 years
Back home where she belongs now!
all_american_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:22 PM   #2
saxart

Re: Problems Re-Installing Front Wheel Hub

Were the new bearings the same thickness as the old bearings? Is the hole in the center exactly the same size as the old bearings/races? If they are the same, then I would be highly suspect of the races and how they are mounted. Are you absolutely sure they are seated?

We know the spindle and the hub carrier haven't changed in size, so it must have something to do with the bearings/races. Either they are not the same size as old, or they are not seated correctly. I would think that seal should be flush or below flush with the back side of the hub itself.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
Minkota

Sounds like you may have either the wrong Bearings, or possible the wrong Hub.
Minkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #4
Sheepdip

Pull the drivers side use all existing parts including the castle nut and see if it mounts up on the passenger side like it should. If so the spindle is good/same, then start taking measurements to find the culprit. Simply a process of elimination.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:41 PM   #5
all_american_c10

You're all thinking the same way I am. Bearings and races both are identical to the old ones seal is same dimensions but the rubber portion looks a little different. I don't think that would affect it though. I'll go back and verify the races are fully seated again. There's knuckles inside the hub that the races seat against. Both were flush against the knuckles after I installed. It's a head scratcher...
My first ride in the 90's
Owned by my cousin for last 20 years
Back home where she belongs now!
all_american_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote