The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2022, 12:37 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Question about switches and wiring

I can say what wire goes to where at this point, check continuity yadda yadda, but perhaps some practical knowledge is missing where a few switches are concerned.

Working on a 71 restoration, it hasn't seen a battery yet and the headlights are still in a box. A few questions please, any input appreciated.

1. The dimmer switch's tee connector is ight green for dimmer, light blue for light switch, and tan for headlights. Tan was on the RH terminal at the switch, same for my C20, but it's on the LH terminal on the replacement harness. That's my question

2. The A/C switch's two wire connector is yellow for the blower resistor and dark green for the compressor. The connector will plug in either way. I installed it as found, but if it doesn't matter, why?

3. The brake switch's two wire connector is white for the stop lamps, and it would seem orange is power feed. Same as above, the connector plugs either way.

If it doesn't matter, I suppose I'm asking for a practical reason why.

OT: Anyone know where to get single wire woven sleeves like you see in this picture? These are not the wrap-around type. Probably 1/8 ID. New harnesses have them, but I can't see where to buy anything but 1/4".

Thank you
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:17 PM   #2
Big Kev-O

Re: Question about switches and wiring

1. If the dimmer switch you are talking about is the high/low beam switch switch on the floor the only wire that needs to be in the correct position is the blue wire that supplies the 12v positive power to the switch. It is a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) switch. It has a single 12 volt positive input(BLUE) and can connect to and switch between the 2 outputs TAN or GREEN. The tan and the green wires go to the bulbs. When you click the switch it switches the power from the tan to the green or vice versa. The tan and green wires can be swapped and the switch is still going to operate.

2. The A/C switch is a normally open single pole single throw (SPST) switch. A Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) switch is a switch that only has a single input and can connect only to one output. The circuit is open until the switch is physically moved into the run position which closes the contacts inside the switch and makes a connection. It does not matter which two wire connector is plugged in to because it simply connects the two wires when the switch pushed.

3. The brake switch is a bit more confusing to explain. It is a normally closed switch meaning when the button on the switch is not being pressed down the contacts inside the switch are connecting the orange and white wires. When you are not pressing the brake pedal the button on the switch IS being held down which keeps the orange and white wires disconnected from each other. When you press the brake the button is released and the orange & white wires are being connect by the switch. The part of the switch being used for the brake lights is also a SPST switch so it does not matter which way the two wire connector is plugged in. It simply connects the white & orange when the brake is pressed.

Hope this explains.

TechFlex makes 1/8" PET Sleeving :
https://www.amazon.com/Techflex-Expa.../dp/B004GE48YU
Old 01-05-2022, 05:29 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev-O View Post
1. If the dimmer switch you are talking about is the high/low beam switch switch on the floor the only wire that needs to be in the correct position is the blue wire that supplies the 12v positive power to the switch. It is a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) switch. It has a single 12 volt positive input(BLUE) and can connect to and switch between the 2 outputs TAN or GREEN. The tan and the green wires go to the bulbs. When you click the switch it switches the power from the tan to the green or vice versa. The tan and green wires can be swapped and the switch is still going to operate.

2. The A/C switch is a normally open single pole single throw (SPST) switch. A Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) switch is a switch that only has a single input and can connect only to one output. The circuit is open until the switch is physically moved into the run position which closes the contacts inside the switch and makes a connection. It does not matter which two wire connector is plugged in to because it simply connects the two wires when the switch pushed.

3. The brake switch is a bit more confusing to explain. It is a normally closed switch meaning when the button on the switch is not being pressed down the contacts inside the switch are connecting the orange and white wires. When you are not pressing the brake pedal the button on the switch IS being held down which keeps the orange and white wires disconnected from each other. When you press the brake the button is released and the orange & white wires are being connect by the switch. The part of the switch being used for the brake lights is also a SPST switch so it does not matter which way the two wire connector is plugged in. It simply connects the white & orange when the brake is pressed.

Hope this explains.

TechFlex makes 1/8" PET Sleeving :
https://www.amazon.com/Techflex-Expa.../dp/B004GE48YU
That explains A LOT.............Thanks a bunch
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:59 PM   #4
val1gonzales

You can get different sizes and lengths from Painless.
https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/braids
val1gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote