The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2022, 04:44 PM   #51
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Corn Dogs and Sushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
My question is have your tastes changed?

I never liked corn dogs or sushi.

Now I eat them all the time. And I mean all the time. My taste has definitely changed.

How could this happen? I didn't like them before.

Am I the only one? Things that I liked just don't do it for me anymore and things I disliked do.
One of my favorite foods was corn dogs, Orange Julius in Vegas was the first I remember I love them so much, and to this day I know why. Tell you what man, I don't have any use for carnivals anymore since the kids are grown, but often they have the best of them, and worth the stop.

My tastes haven't changed much, I cringe at most vegetables (Lima Beans, peas, YUCK!) short a few. The only differences I try more things, I take things crisp as opposed burnt, and once I revisited the hotdog & peanut butter sandwich I loved as a child, don't do that Peanut butter and cheese YES. My dad couldn't cook worth more than "wienies & beans", but he made a statement with a peanut butter & cheese sandwich on toasted white bread.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-19-2022 at 04:49 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:26 PM   #52
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
One of my favorite foods was corn dogs, Orange Julius in Vegas was the first I remember I love them so much, and to this day I know why. Tell you what man, I don't have any use for carnivals anymore since the kids are grown, but often they have the best of them, and worth the stop.

My tastes haven't changed much, I cringe at most vegetables (Lima Beans, peas, YUCK!) short a few. The only differences I try more things, I take things crisp as opposed burnt, and once I revisited the hotdog & peanut butter sandwich I loved as a child, don't do that Peanut butter and cheese YES. My dad couldn't cook worth more than "wienies & beans", but he made a statement with a peanut butter & cheese sandwich on toasted white bread.
Orange Julius... God I loved Orange Julius. Haven't had it in years. I don't think they're in business anymore Which is a shame. I would always go for a chili dog and an O.J. I'd go back in a second if I could find one.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:28 PM   #53
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Orange Julius... God I loved Orange Julius. Haven't had it in years. I don't think they're in business anymore Which is a shame. I would always go for a chili dog and an O.J. I'd go back in a second if I could find one.
There's a Dairy Queen in the Canton, GA area that has some Orange Julius signs up. It's been a bit since I've been to that spot though, so might've changed. Was definitely there for several years though

Edit to add: Check out the google street view at this address: 147 Reinhardt College Pkwy, Canton, GA 30114. Look at the side of the building and you'll see the sign. Street view picture was from 2018 though, but I think the sign is still there

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:38 AM   #54
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
There's a Dairy Queen in the Canton, GA area that has some Orange Julius signs up. It's been a bit since I've been to that spot though, so might've changed. Was definitely there for several years though

Edit to add: Check out the google street view at this address: 147 Reinhardt College Pkwy, Canton, GA 30114. Look at the side of the building and you'll see the sign. Street view picture was from 2018 though, but I think the sign is still there
Dairy Queen was another one that I loved. They had really good burgers and hot dogs.

But they closed the one that I went to. A few years later they opened one in a strip mall by my office and I was stoked. But it wasn't the same. Not even close. No burgers. Only hot dogs that tasted like they had been microwaved. I could get a better hot dog at a gas station. To say it was mediocre would be a compliment.

I miss the old places. A&W, Orange Julius, Dairy Queen, Foster's Freeze, Bobs Big Boy. I realize that some are still around in name but that's it. They're not the same thing that I remember.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:53 AM   #55
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Dairy Queen was another one that I loved. They had really good burgers and hot dogs.

But they closed the one that I went to. A few years later they opened one in a strip mall by my office and I was stoked. But it wasn't the same. Not even close. No burgers. Only hot dogs that tasted like they had been microwaved. I could get a better hot dog at a gas station. To say it was mediocre would be a compliment.

I miss the old places. A&W, Orange Julius, Dairy Queen, Foster's Freeze, Bobs Big Boy. I realize that some are still around in name but that's it. They're not the same thing that I remember.
My last experience with Dairy Queen's food was sub par. Might have been just that one location though. I do like their slushies. I haven't had many laps around the sun yet, so don't know how it was a while back. My parents and I were watching a show on TV about 80s food stuff. Seeing videos of fast food employees making food without gloves on was quite unexpected compared to today. I had to wear gloves my whole shift when I was working at McDonald's one summer. Since I worked the grill usually, I had to put on a second set of gloves to handle the raw stuff that were then disposed of right after use

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:02 AM   #56
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
My last experience with Dairy Queen's food was sub par. Might have been just that one location though. I do like their slushies. I haven't had many laps around the sun yet, so don't know how it was a while back. My parents and I were watching a show on TV about 80s food stuff. Seeing videos of fast food employees making food without gloves on was quite unexpected compared to today. I had to wear gloves my whole shift when I was working at McDonald's one summer. Since I worked the grill usually, I had to put on a second set of gloves to handle the raw stuff that were then disposed of right after use
Gloves? We would never wear gloves. When I was a teenybopper I worked at Marie Callenders. I started at about 16 years old. Washing dishes and graduated to making cornbread and pie's. Woo hoo! If you wore gloves you would be called a derogatory name.

You don't want to know the things that we did in that kitchen. You wouldn't eat there. It was Animal House. But it was a fun job.

We never really messed with the food unless it was for one of the other employees. One time one of the guys working the grill put a dirty rag in place of a burger patty for a cheeseburger for one of the other cooks. it was hilarious watching him get all pizzed off, and they had a big walk in freezer. About 10 degrees and if a guy went in he might get the hose and the door got locked. I got the hose once. It was cold. Really cold. I couldn't complain because I did the same thing. Live by the sword, die by the sword. I had it coming.

We would get off work and hang out in back and hit up the waitresses to buy us beer because we were underage. There was liquor store next door. They would roll their eyes and complain but they'd do it.

One waitress I tried to hit up for more than beer was Sylvia. She was smoking hot. Way out of my league. And she was older than me. (She could buy beer) But that didn't stop me from trying. But I failed miserably. I was just a dumb kid thinking he had it going on with a muscle car. Didn't work.

We were just a bunch of hoodlums in dirty white uniforms.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 01-21-2022, 07:27 PM   #57
LS short box

Our local DQ's has orange Julius. We have two DQ's in town. One on each end of town.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:20 PM   #58
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Our local DQ's has orange Julius. We have two DQ's in town. One on each end of town.
Hurt me. I got nothing here.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 01-22-2022, 02:53 AM   #59
LT7A

Quote:
Hurt me. I got nothing here.
You don't have them at the mall down there? Do you have a mall by you? Up here they're still at all the malls. Since Other Larry is going to produce your TV show with your ex-wives, once you get a couple of shows into the season, take it on the road - come up here and make a tour. There's at least a dozen of 'em - OJ/DQs. Not ex-wives of yours.
LT7A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:40 AM   #60
special-K
Special Order

Last time I ever went to the mall, when my reason to go was Sears (and girl watching...sometimes Orange Julius or that soft pretzel place, Aunt Annie's? Also Cinnabon. Oh yeah, Barnes & Noble. But that's all, unless I forgot something), there was still an Orange Julius.

I made a Mexican pizza the other night with left over ground chicken taco meat. The taco meat is made with my own spices, chopped bits of pablano pepper, and onion bits. I used salsa verde, refried black beans, a few more pablano and onion bits, pieces of jalapeno peppers (pickled I guess, from a jar), and crumbled blue tortilla chips after out of the oven. The cheese is pre-fab fine cut four cheese Mexican, Sargento brand. Blurry picture because I was hungry in a hurry. Looks like before the oven, probably because there would be no time for pictures after the oven. Mmmmnot bad. I want to do it again, maybe tonight!
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:41 AM   #61
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
You don't have them at the mall down there? Do you have a mall by you? Up here they're still at all the malls. Since Other Larry is going to produce your TV show with your ex-wives, once you get a couple of shows into the season, take it on the road - come up here and make a tour. There's at least a dozen of 'em - OJ/DQs. Not ex-wives of yours.
A mall around here?

I'm lucky to get a paved road.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:59 AM   #62
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
A mall around here?

I'm lucky to get a paved road.
I haven't been to Wofford Heights per sey, but I have hung out in Kernville a lot!....

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:43 AM   #63
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I haven't been to Wofford Heights per sey, but I have hung out in Kernville a lot!....
You may have been to Wofford Heights and not known it. You may have blinked. It doesn't take much to miss it. It's tiny.

Kernville is nice. I'm looking forward to getting the new place there. Lot's to do.

My place in Weldon is in the boondocks. It's the one with dirt roads. It's mostly cattle ranches. More cows than people. My place was a horse ranch at one time. I don't have any horses unless you pop the hood on my Corvette.

I like it. It's quiet. Nobody bugs me and I don't bug anyone except my wife.

The ugly Toyota in the pic isn't mine. My buddy was staying in the 5th wheel And believe it or not that is a 3 car garage.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.