The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2022, 09:17 AM   #3476
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

When I first saw people using "build" in place of fixing up or restoring vehicles I didn't think that was right. GM built our trucks (and cars). But these days with all the body pieces the term is fitting. Looks like you're building that Camaro for sure!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:48 AM   #3477
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick121 View Post
Shoveling snow in my near future…Luckily it’s blue skies! The 2nd photo was yesterday, it dumped a foot and a half here in Tahoe City
Reminds of my old home place back in Oregon when we would get a foot of snow .. do you notice how quiet it is when snow this deep hits,, you can hear a branch break and fall from a tree maybe a quarter mile away ,, so peaceful is how I describe it.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:53 AM   #3478
sakustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
When I first saw people using "build" in place of fixing up or restoring vehicles I didn't think that was right. GM built our trucks (and cars). But these days with all the body pieces the term is fitting. Looks like you're building that Camaro for sure!
Yes I am definitely building this thing. I also have to replace the entire upper dash panel, the inner rear valance, the complete rear package tray plus I have the rear filler panel under the rear window. Then I have to replace part of the inner and outer cowl at the bottom on the PS. Oh and I am also doing new trunk drop offs.

After that is all done I have to replace the trunk floor.

This is just an example of former work by who knows what maniac.

This is what I found underneath.

And a shot of it all cut apart.

Last edited by sakustoms; 12-08-2022 at 11:59 AM.
sakustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:13 PM   #3479
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
You hung a picture of your thing up on the wall? Hmm.

My wife went on a quilting cruise and got Covid 5 days in. 11 day cruise with 6 in quarantine. Crazy.

As for me, I sat and read a book while someone else installed new flooring over at the rental house. They did OK, but the baseboard installation took a lot of caulking. I stink at caulking, but I'd've done better. Fortunately, one of my sons is going to paint the baseboards. The vinyl baseboard we originally bought was a pile of feces and will be returned for credit. Stove installation on Friday, some carpet cleaning, and then it's on the market for sale. It would have been way better to sell it 6 years ago, instead of renting it out. Deadbeat renters didn't pay any rent the last nine months, even though they all had jobs.
I hope your wife is doing better. Covid is a nasty one. It darned near killed me twice. My thanks to the people in the Intensive Care Unit for bringing me back so that I can continue to pester everyone.

I'm done with rentals as well. I've spent close to 20K to get my place back to the shape it was in when I rented it. I had to rent a roll away to dump all the mess that they left behind and those things aren't cheap. Especially when my cheapskate neighbor threw all his junk in there too and overloaded it. Another $300 penalty for that. Thanks neighbor. I told the realtor to get it listed NOW! It's done. I'm done.

And that's not a picture of my thing. It's a picture of a VW Thing. If it were my thing I'd need a bigger sign.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:21 PM   #3480
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Whats the one with the person on the scooter, vespa?
It look like a Cushman to me. It's Reddy Kilowatt pimping electric vehicles in 1956 saying that they were the future. I guess he knew something that we didn't.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 12-08-2022, 04:26 PM   #3481
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I hope your wife is doing better. Covid is a nasty one. It darned near killed me twice. My thanks to the people in the Intensive Care Unit for bringing me back so that I can continue to pester everyone.

I'm done with rentals as well. I've spent close to 20K to get my place back to the shape it was in when I rented it. I had to rent a roll away to dump all the mess that they left behind and those things aren't cheap. Especially when my cheapskate neighbor threw all his junk in there too and overloaded it. Another $300 penalty for that. Thanks neighbor. I told the realtor to get it listed NOW! It's done. I'm done.

And that's not a picture of my thing. It's a picture of a VW Thing. If it were my thing I'd need a bigger sign.
I know. Thanks, my wife is doing better; the medical staff released her from isolation today. She's going out on deck to see the sun for the first time in a week.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 09:03 AM   #3482
special-K
Special Order

I'm glad to hear she is on the road to recovery.

Great work on that Camaro. That car will be sitting pretty and you'll be able to look across it and say "Everything you're looking at I put there".

I guess there were once Electro-scoots made. I only found pictures of the sign you have Not sure that was a brand or if the electric power industry was pushing for all the electric scooter brands with a made up fictitious name. Isn't fictitious a weird word? It has a tit in the middle.

Electric scooters were once a new idea
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-09-2022 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:42 AM   #3483
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
I'm glad to hear she is on the road to recovery.

Thanks!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 12-09-2022, 06:12 PM   #3484
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
You hung a picture of your thing up on the wall? Hmm.

My wife went on a quilting cruise and got Covid 5 days in. 11 day cruise with 6 in quarantine. Crazy.

As for me, I sat and read a book while someone else installed new flooring over at the rental house. They did OK, but the baseboard installation took a lot of caulking. I stink at caulking, but I'd've done better. Fortunately, one of my sons is going to paint the baseboards. The vinyl baseboard we originally bought was a pile of feces and will be returned for credit. Stove installation on Friday, some carpet cleaning, and then it's on the market for sale. It would have been way better to sell it 6 years ago, instead of renting it out. Deadbeat renters didn't pay any rent the last nine months, even though they all had jobs.
Hope all is going well with your wife .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:55 PM   #3485
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Hope all is going well with your wife .
Thanks! She came back from the cruise today feeling better, and did a rapid test. Positive. I don't know where I'm going to sleep tonight. She's getting better, but I don't need this creeping crud. I'm going to have to cancel my back therapy out of an abundance of caution.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 12-10-2022, 02:56 PM   #3486
special-K
Special Order

I ate a really good pizza for lunch. This goes back to last night. Yesterday afternoon, really. I had some good spaghetti leftover, even plenty of bread and salad. Easy! But while I was working I kept thinking I want pizza, it's been a while. I usually space out my Italian meals, but I wanted pizza. Worked outside till dark, and this is about 50 minutes from home. I passed up on Genova's up that way. I ran through new Windsor right by Belisimo's, and straight to home. If I say I'll stop by the house, then run into town I must be lying. Never happens that way. But last night I did it because I needed some things from the hardware store and didn't want to deal with Saturday shoppers. There was a special on a large pizza any way you want and I knew exactly what I wanted.
I get to the pizza place with a little wait time. They are as busy as can be, Friday night! The counter guy sets a stack of four boxes on the counter and heads back to help prep. A driver waiting by the door points and says, "That's yours". "Nope, I only bought one pizza". He asks my name and looks at the labels. He pointed to the bottom label, "This is yours" and hands it to me. I put jackets on top of the box and hustled home.

Hmmm... that's a large pizza? Where are the toppings? Look at the label... Tim Hickey, I'm Tim Hicks . It was a plain pizza and part of a $52 order. and they must have been late picking it up because it was barely warm. I loaded it up with peppers, parmesian, garlic, oregano and processed it down. The beer was good anyway.

So today back into town. Took care of a few things and back home with a damn good pizza for lunch!

Tim

Old 12-11-2022, 03:54 AM   #3487
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
I ate a really good pizza for lunch. This goes back to last night. Yesterday afternoon, really. I had some good spaghetti leftover, even plenty of bread and salad. Easy! But while I was working I kept thinking I want pizza, it's been a while. I usually space out my Italian meals, but I wanted pizza. Worked outside till dark, and this is about 50 minutes from home. I passed up on Genova's up that way. I ran through new Windsor right by Belisimo's, and straight to home. If I say I'll stop by the house, then run into town I must be lying. Never happens that way. But last night I did it because I needed some things from the hardware store and didn't want to deal with Saturday shoppers. There was a special on a large pizza any way you want and I knew exactly what I wanted.
I get to the pizza place with a little wait time. They are as busy as can be, Friday night! The counter guy sets a stack of four boxes on the counter and heads back to help prep. A driver waiting by the door points and says, "That's yours". "Nope, I only bought one pizza". He asks my name and looks at the labels. He pointed to the bottom label, "This is yours" and hands it to me. I put jackets on top of the box and hustled home.

Hmmm... that's a large pizza? Where are the toppings? Look at the label... Tim Hickey, I'm Tim Hicks . It was a plain pizza and part of a $52 order. and they must have been late picking it up because it was barely warm. I loaded it up with peppers, parmesian, garlic, oregano and processed it down. The beer was good anyway.

So today back into town. Took care of a few things and back home with a damn good pizza for lunch!
Tim Hickey? I knew a chick they called Evelyn the hickey giver. Any relation?

My buddy is named Dana. A bunch of us went to a Mexican restaurant.
Some guys came out from the kitchen and asked "Are you Dana?
My buddy said yes.
They put a bad check on the table signed by Raoul Dana.
He told them it wasn't him. His first name was Dana.
They just kept saying "Make it good Deenie'
He finally convinced them that it wasn't him. But we didn't let him off the hook and teased him calling him Deenie. Telling him to make it good.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 12-11-2022, 07:41 AM   #3488
special-K
Special Order

Pretty funny way to enjoy a meal out. We had a funny mistaken identity scenario on our return flight from Colorado on our family vacation. It started with missing our flight. So we were "Hicks family of five" on call. We were waiting and they called, "Hicks family of five to board Flight #XXX? We're all relieved and situated in our seats when a stewardess comes up with five black people behind her saying we took this family's seats, as if we were trying to pull something off. Hey! Don't point your finger at me. You didn't say what color Hicks family of five!

Tim

Old 12-18-2022, 08:01 AM   #3489
special-K
Special Order

I did some fixin' on my barn yesterday. I built the building close to 35 years ago. The tree grew into it, and now it's moved. I had all the siding milled right up the road about a mile. Between here and there is where the trees were logged (poplar). In this barn all these years I have stored extra boards from way back then. I even still have the box of nails. So, a labor-only job, no cost for materials. I fixed the area where the building was damaged by the tree growing into it and fixed the door jambs I had to cut out for the move. Now I can hang the doors. I still have to replace the soffit & fascia on the tree side. I'm waiting until I replace that side of the roof
Attached Images

Tim

Old 12-18-2022, 10:39 AM   #3490
tutone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakustoms View Post
I've been working on my sons 68 Camaro. It's turning out to be way more rust repair than I anticipated. Every panel I cut off has a rusty panel underneath.

So far I've removed or repaired both quarters, both outer wheelhouses, outer tail panel, outer upper dash partial, DS outer full rocker, PS outer rocker repair, full floor including seat mount panels, DS roof drip rail, DS inner roof structure repair, roof panel and DS A pillar repair. At least that's what I can remember as of now. Most parts are only fitted and mocked up as of now.

Wow. I feel much better now. For the last two-three weeks, I have been fixing gaps on my 68 camaro. Basically alignining all the crappy aftermarket sheet metal to a nice straight GM hood. Drivers fender was terrible. I have about 20 or so hours in it so far. Lots of welding and filling.
Attached Images

1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 10:54 AM   #3491
72c20customcamper

Took the grandkids to see Santa and have brunch . Last picture my oldest and the youngest . They are siblings 13 year spread
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 12:17 PM   #3492
Gotenntitans

Pies & cookies coming this week.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 07:27 PM   #3493
Boog
laying low

Quote:
I did some fixin' on my barn yesterday. I built the building close to 35 years ago. The tree grew into it, and now it's moved. I had all the siding milled right up the road about a mile. Between here and there is where the trees were logged (poplar). In this barn all these years I have stored extra boards from way back then. I even still have the box of nails. So, a labor-only job, no cost for materials. I fixed the area where the building was damaged by the tree growing into it and fixed the door jambs I had to cut out for the move. Now I can hang the doors. I still have to replace the soffit & fascia on the tree side. I'm waiting until I replace that side of the roof
Well you've not much more to do to it then. And already got some Christmas lights up on it. Good deal. You know you saved those extra boards all those many years ago for something. Glad you saved them now.
You gonna trim some on that big tree too now that you can get to it?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 07:22 AM   #3494
4u2nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Took the grandkids to see Santa and have brunch . Last picture my oldest and the youngest . They are siblings 13 year spread
Great looking family there
Pictures are priceless
Sure tell they are bros
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:14 AM   #3495
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Well you've not much more to do to it then. And already got some Christmas lights up on it. Good deal. You know you saved those extra boards all those many years ago for something. Glad you saved them now.
You gonna trim some on that big tree too now that you can get to it?
Yeah, I went a little farther with lights this year, now that I can get between the barn and tree. I never ran the facia and soffit on the back side, outta sight/outta mind (1x8). That's mostly where the extra boards came from. But the two I used for siding (1x10) were extras I was sure glad to have. I had a couple 1x6s I ripping for batten strips. a few hundred dollars for the metal roofing and it's good. The tree trimming will be done off a man lift, but only after I get everything else done around here.

It's time to get back to my other major project, the cellar. A good winter project. I also need to gut my master bedroom and finish that out. Can't be selling a house with a shabby untouched master bedroom. Somewhere in there I need to get the downstairs shower tiled up.

I got my cellar dug down to where I could stand upright before taking a break from it. I thought I was ready for footers. But that allowed me time to talk myself into going deeper so the finished (concrete) floor with be that height I had dug to where I can stand up.
Attached Images

Tim

Old 12-19-2022, 10:17 AM   #3496
Boog
laying low

Oh yeah. Head clearance is kind of important.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:41 AM   #3497
special-K
Special Order

I probably went down there a dozen times in 35 years, until I started on this project. You couldn't stand up straight anywhere. It used to be a bit deeper years ago. It was dug out and they had a few uprights with wide planks lining the walls. That was all shot and some loose dirt had spilled down over the years. Critters could just burrow in. I started off just to scoop away the loose dirt to square it up before laying up block. By the time I got all the way around I was a good bit deeper than I started. So I went back and took all that down. Then did another round. Now again, about half done as of last session. I'd like to get done before we get much snow, so I can spread the dirt nicely.

This is what I started with:
Name:  DSCN2569.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  51.3 KB

I never thought about down there. It was just the area under the house. I stuffed a few things down there, but mostly went for plumbing needs. Never bugged me, just the way an old house is. Now that I'm looking ahead to selling, it matters. Might not add to the price but won't be a deterrent. Should help convey the 'upkept' vibe I'm after. It will now be usable space, too.

Tim

Old 12-19-2022, 11:54 AM   #3498
sakustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
Wow. I feel much better now. For the last two-three weeks, I have been fixing gaps on my 68 camaro. Basically alignining all the crappy aftermarket sheet metal to a nice straight GM hood. Drivers fender was terrible. I have about 20 or so hours in it so far. Lots of welding and filling.
At this point I hate aftermarket sheetmetal. I have so much time in this crap. I even had to heat and bend the front of the new trunk lid to get the crown in it to match the rear filler panel.

I've got the back half, doors and roof skin looking pretty good now. I have now moved on to the PS cowl/firewall rust. I am replacing about half of the inner and outer panels but leaving the area behind the blower motor where the hidden partial VIN is.

You car is looking good. I can't wait until I am to that stage. LOL
Old 12-19-2022, 11:58 AM   #3499
sakustoms

Quote:
I probably went down there a dozen times in 35 years, until I started on this project. You couldn't stand up straight anywhere. It used to be a bit deeper years ago. It was dug out and they had a few uprights with wide planks lining the walls. That was all shot and some loose dirt had spilled down over the years. Critters could just burrow in. I started off just to scoop away the loose dirt to square it up before laying up block. By the time I got all the way around I was a good bit deeper than I started. So I went back and took all that down. Then did another round. Now again, about half done as of last session. I'd like to get done before we get much snow, so I can spread the dirt nicely.

This is what I started with:
Attachment 2241190

I never thought about down there. It was just the area under the house. I stuffed a few things down there, but mostly went for plumbing needs. Never bugged me, just the way an old house is. Now that I'm looking ahead to selling, it matters. Might not add to the price but won't be a deterrent. Should help convey the 'upkept' vibe I'm after. It will now be usable space, too.
Wow that insane. How will digging down so far affect the foundation in the area that was only a couple feet high?
Old 12-19-2022, 07:29 PM   #3500
special-K
Special Order

It has been a dug out 5' cellar since the 1800s. I just went down a little more. It's all solid virgin soil. I'll be laying up block to where the stone starts, filling, and pouring a concrete cap back to the stonework. It will be better than it ever has been, as far as stability. Good thing is the house is log. All the framing members are timbers strong enough to span their length unsupported. That center beam had been installed prior to my purchase. I never saw the need, but I'm glad it's there for this project.

Tim