The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2023, 04:54 PM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Tow Hooks for a 1983 K 10

I would appreciate a photo of the tow hooks that fit the my year truck ,,,,,,,,,,,,,( 1983 K10 ) ,, I have seen some that just do not fit any holes I may have,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, While am on here ,, Does any of you know of anyone that makes these cast Iron tow hooks just like the factory ones and sell them :
Old 01-18-2023, 05:09 PM   #2
66gmcguy

Re: Tow Hooks for a 1983 K 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
I would appreciate a photo of the tow hooks that fit the my year truck ,,,,,,,,,,,,,( 1983 K10 ) ,, I have seen some that just do not fit any holes I may have,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, While am on here ,, Does any of you know of anyone that makes these cast Iron tow hooks just like the factory ones and sell them :
Nobody reproduces them. I have a set from my 83 blazer I would sell. $115 shipped. This is what they look like
Attached Images

66gmcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 05:18 PM   #3
GOPAPA

I know this a lot to ask,, but can you take a photo and send it to me by message or right on here on discussion exactly where they bolt on ? I have seen these tow hooks before on here and danged if i can see how they would fit,,
Old 01-18-2023, 05:27 PM   #4
Ironhorse

Square body tow hooks have one style to fit 73-80 and then the style changed to run thru the 81-87 years. Have a set of the 81-87 bead blasted, primed and painted satin black if your interested. $90 shipped, money order, do not have Paypal.

Actually from what I have found there are three styles that can be used for the 73-87 square body trucks. First pic is the 73-80 " J " styled hooks, second pic is the normally found 81- 87 " S " styled hooks and the third pic is the hard to find combination of the 73-80 / 81-87 hooks. Usually found on the one tons, very heavy duty hook combining the shank of the 73-80 and the round stock hook end of the 81-87 hook.

4th pic is of the 81-87 tow hooks I have for sale.

Will step aside until you decide on first set pictured.
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks

Last edited by Ironhorse; 01-18-2023 at 05:33 PM.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 05:27 PM   #5
GOPAPA

I know this a lot to ask,, but can you take a photo and send it to me by message or right on here on discussion exactly where they bolt on ? I have seen these tow hooks before on here and danged if i can see how they would fit,,
Old 01-18-2023, 05:42 PM   #6
66gmcguy

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2023, 08:17 PM   #7
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gmcguy View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Do both holes in the hooks bolt onto the frame rails ? Your Picture is dark ,, cant see ... And ,,,are the holes there already from the factory, either way if you buy a truck new with hooks or without hooks ? What I am saying is will I see the holes in my frame where to mount the hooks that you have shown that you say will fit my 83 K-10?

Last edited by GOPAPA; 01-18-2023 at 08:33 PM.
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:55 PM   #8
Ironhorse

Quote:
Do both holes in the hooks bolt onto the frame rails ? Your Picture is dark ,, cant see ... And ,,,are the holes there already from the factory, either way if you buy a truck new with hooks or without hooks ? What I am saying is will I see the holes in my frame where to mount the hooks that you have shown that you say will fit my 83 K-10?
Can't definitely say for the square body trucks, more familiar with the 67-72 years. My '71 K10 did not have the tow hooks called out on the SIPD sticker, believe tow hook option for all years is V76, not sure. When I added a set of original tow hooks to my truck I placed them against the outside flat section of C channel frame where they had clearance with the bumper. Marked both hole locations and drilled. Bolted the hooks using grade 8 bolts and nyloc locking nuts and has served quite well since I did that nearly 17 years ago. If tow hooks were ordered then the truck frames were drilled as they moved down the line to the best of my knowledge.

Think it might be the same for the square body trucks. My BIL has an '83 1 ton 4x4 dually but the frame is NOT drilled for hooks. The set of hooks in the pic I posted would mount right to his truck doing the same locate, mark and drill process. Hope that helps,
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:13 PM   #9
GOPAPA

I will check under my truck soon as I can and see what it looks like If I can bolt them up to the frame rails by being able to drill holes.. I do have a angle drill if it has enough room to get in there , ,its cold here and I am recovering from a flu (not covid) so will see how I do in the morning to look it over ,, might have to set a heater down under there to keep me from shivvvering ,.. maybe take some photos .,,
Old 01-18-2023, 10:05 PM   #10
66gmcguy

Quote:
They use the same holes as the bumper mounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2023, 10:27 PM   #11
66gmcguy

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2023, 03:21 PM   #12
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gmcguy View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Thx gmcguy this shows exactly and helped me to go ahead buying them..
Old 01-28-2023, 01:31 PM   #13
GOPAPA

I want to give a shout out for Ironhorse,,, as the tow hooks he sold me was a real good deal and they are all ready to mount ,been blasted and painted .. and in suburb shape .. the transaction went smooth between us and I got them in good in just a few days ..

Name:  IMG_4919.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  66.8 KB
Old 01-29-2023, 05:11 PM   #14
wazzabie

Quote:
I want to give a shout out for Ironhorse,,, as the tow hooks he sold me was a real good deal and they are all ready to mount ,been blasted and painted .. and in suburb shape .. the transaction went smooth between us and I got them in good in just a few days ..

Attachment 2254726
Did you have to drill holes in your frame?
wazzabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:34 AM   #15
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzabie View Post
Did you have to drill holes in your frame?
No drilling as they are factory fitting and my frame tips have bolt holes in place already , just buy longer bolts