The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
jake60

2x4 to 4x4?

I asked the following questions on the 67 to 72 forum but it was suggested I post it here.

Is it reasonably possible to convert a 1969 C10 with rear coil springs to four wheel drive? Are the frames between 2 wheel drive and four wheel drive different and if so specifically what are the differences? I am aware that from the factory the engine in the 4x4 mounted further rearward on the frame and I’m thinking they did this so the front differential would have more room to clear the engine and or cross member. Is the frame the correct width in the front and the rear for the leaf spring hangers? Is it safe to remove the cross member that the driveshaft carrier bearing is mounted on to utilize the 4x4 one piece driveshaft? Why are the rubber rear cab mounts different between the 2x4 and 4x4 on the 1/2 ton but not on the 3/4 ton? Can I install the correct 4x4 rear rubber cab mounts or will it be necessary to modify the steel frame mounts to accommodate the new rubber mounts?

jake60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
jake60

Re: 2x4 to 4x4?

I just saw part of my questions answered by a previous post. Sorry!
jake60 is offline   Reply With Quote