The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #176
Jaysonb

Re: Bench Seats, Having them Reupholstered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Built a Charcoal Velour/Vinyl Deluxe benchseat for a customers in Texas. This one was with a New Foam seat bottom.
That looks great! That is the same seat that I need for my 85 gmc, do you mind sharing where you got that particular upholstery?
Jaysonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:59 PM   #177
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysonb View Post
That looks great! That is the same seat that I need for my 85 gmc, do you mind sharing where you got that particular upholstery?
I have a guy that makes them for me. When I first started doing the seats several years ago, I used a local guy, but he was getting up there in years. Then I used a few from Classic Industries, they were pretty good. Then I found this guy at a Swap Meet here in Ohio, but he's from NC. His covers are hands down the best, probably better than the originals. He uses thicker foam backing for one. The fit, well they are perfect.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #178
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
I've gotta say it again.... I really like the Jute used between the foam and the springs.
It's the little touches like this that are the difference between an OK job and quality workmanship.
Thanks hatzie!!
Old 10-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #179
Jaysonb

Quote:
I have a guy that makes them for me. When I first started doing the seats several years ago, I used a local guy, but he was getting up there in years. Then I used a few from Classic Industries, they were pretty good. Then I found this guy at a Swap Meet here in Ohio, but he's from NC. His covers are hands down the best, probably better than the originals. He uses thicker foam backing for one. The fit, well they are perfect.
Ok, thanks! I'll have to clean up the upholstery section in the basement, and get to sewing. You do a nice job putting your seats together, I was guessing by the fit and finish that you weren't getting them from a catalog.
Jaysonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:06 AM   #180
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysonb View Post
Ok, thanks! I'll have to clean up the upholstery section in the basement, and get to sewing. You do a nice job putting your seats together, I was guessing by the fit and finish that you weren't getting them from a catalog.
In the beginning, I was. If you go back to post #96, the Mohgany Tweed. That is the one that got me using Pete. The Mahogany is an original, but rarely seen color. I had a customer that needed that color done for a seat. When I was finished with the seat, I almost hated to let it go. The Mahogany and the Green are my favorites!! Once I get retired from my full time job in March. I MIGHT actually have the time to start making them myself.

The Mandrin Orange is a rarely seen color also, I'm hoping someone will want want one that color sometime. Here is the samples he was showing me of the Orange.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2018, 05:05 PM   #181
TKCR

The Charcoal seat that went to Texas, the customer has it in his truck already!! I just shipped it Monday.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 10-25-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:38 AM   #182
Danmcg

First of let me say that's some beautiful work on the Upholstery TKCR. My question is how do you ship these bench seats, and what kind of cost does it add to the job?
Danmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:22 AM   #183
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmcg View Post
My question is how do you ship these bench seats, and what kind of cost does it add to the job?
I use Fedex to ship my seats. I have checked with Fastenal and it is just little cheaper, but he time frame can be ridiculous. And to me a lot can happen during that time. Shipping with Fedex, most of the seats will be delivered within the week, 2-5 days. And I fully insure them!!. The cost is based on size, weight and distance. The average is $200-$250. I shipped one, right here in Ohio, it was still $200. Shipping would hit the $250 mark, say going to California.
One was shipped to Canada, that was about double the cost of shipping.
2 went to Dubai, I only shipped the seats to Cleveland & Pittsburg and then they put the package in a shipping container, which was then put on a ship. The one that went to Pittsburg, met up with the truck that was being shipped over there too. But the customers in Dubai had this part setup, so I have no idea what the cost was at this point. But here is how the seat looks packed up. The small box is the hinge garnishes. I prefer to ship the separate. because of the weight of the seat, if someone would ever set the seat down hard on a corner, it would break those garnishes.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 01-13-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:30 AM   #184
TKCR

Quote:
First of let me say that's some beautiful work on the Upholstery TKCR.
Thanks, I really love working on restoring these seats. When I see the before and after of a seat and how it transforms the interior of the our trucks, I just want to keep doing more. Of course, with my truck, I did a complete interior color change. And I didn't have an original seat, the PO had a 90's style bench seat in the truck. Because of the adventure I had to go on, just to find a seat and find someone to reupholster my seat, this is how all this began about 5 yrs ago.
The #1 thing that bothered me the most was, spending that money and only to find out that an upholstery shop ONLY does the upholstery. They don't touch the frame, tracks and all the hardware. They will just put a brand new cover over top of a rusty old frame, that 9 times out of 10, needs some type of repair. And most everytime, the tracks are so rusty, the don't slide very well, if at all.
Here's the before and after, of my truck.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #185
TKCR

Here's some work I did on some tracks. These were from the 1970 GTO Bucket seats I did for a friend. These tracks were so seized up but the rust, I could even get them to budge, beating them with a mallet. So after sandblasting and some tedious sandblasting down inside the track, I was finally able to get the sliding again. I did a video to show how easy they slide now. VIDEO:https://youtu.be/o_IUEndYxuE
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 11-05-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:05 AM   #186
TKCR

I should have mentioned in one of the above post, about the shipping. I will be retiring on March 1st. Honda offers early retirement at 55, and I will have 30 yrs in. My plan is, since I will have the time, is to offer to meet people part way. At the least, meet people in some of the surrounding states of Ohio. I really don't like to ship my seats, I like it better when they are picked up. But after retiring, I should be able to help people with the traveling of long distance by meeting part of the way.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #187
Advanced Design

Wow, those bucket seats look new! You are certainly filling a need in the market,

Congratulations on your pending retirement!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:17 PM   #188
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
Any idea what this would look like in Blue? I'm considering doing both my seats in my Crew Cab Dually.
Finally did a blue for a customer in Tennessee
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2018, 04:22 PM   #189
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Wow, those bucket seats look new! You are certainly filling a need in the market,

Congratulations on your pending retirement!
Thanks!! Pretty excited about having more time for the seats. I just took a frame and tracks out to the shed. I have a lot of sandblasting to get done, to get caught back up. But it will have to wait until then.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:34 PM   #190
LT7A

Congratulations on the pending retirement! Thirty years for one employer is almost unheard of these days. It's a great idea to see some of the surrounding countryside and fund it by working on your hobby.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:18 AM   #191
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Congratulations on the pending retirement! Thirty years for one employer is almost unheard of these days. It's a great idea to see some of the surrounding countryside and fund it by working on your hobby.
Thanks!! I also hope to bring home more seats that need restored, while we are on these trips also. What I really need to do, is find me an enclosed trailer. The newly restored seat can travel in the back of the Colorado, it has a cap. My trailer is just an open trailer, but it would nice to be able to keep the seats out of the rain and away from thieves.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2018, 08:40 AM   #192
Danmcg

How far would you be willing to travel to deliver one?
Danmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:15 PM   #193
TKCR

Quote:
How far would you be willing to travel to deliver one?
Just the surrounding or bordering states of Ohio. As I said in the above post, I would be willing to meet part way, not necessarily deliver. And there would still be a fee involved, but it won't be as much as Fedex charges.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:53 PM   #194
smokehouse

Quote:
I use Fedex to ship my seats. I have checked with Fastenal and it is just little cheaper, but he time frame can be ridiculous. And to me a lot can happen doing that time. Shipping with Fedex, most of the seats will be delivered within the week, 2-5 days. And I fully insure them!!. The cost is based on size, weight and distance. The average is $200-$250. I shipped one, right here in Ohio, it was still $200. Shipping would hit the $250 mark, say going to California.
! was shipped to Canada, that was about double the cost of shipping.
2 went to Dubai, I only shipped the seats to Cleveland & Pittsburg and then they put the package in a shipping container, which was then put on a ship. The one that went to Pittsburg, met up with the truck that was being shipped over there too. But the customers in Dubai had this part setup, so I have no idea what the cost was at this point. But here is how the seat looks packed up. The small box is the hinge garnishes. I prefer to ship the separate. because of the weight of the seat, if someone would ever set the seat down hard on a corner, it would break those garnishes.
Have you every thought about using greyhound shipping is very cheap with them do it all the time for my aircooled vw stuff.
smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:50 PM   #195
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
Have you every thought about using greyhound shipping is very cheap with them do it all the time for my aircooled vw stuff.
No I haven't even considered them. Greyhound is over an hour from me, one way. That would be quite an inconvenience, but maybe after I'm retired.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:41 PM   #196
jwilson645

Ha! That beige/tan seat looks just like the one I'm currently sitting on.
jwilson645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:45 PM   #197
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson645 View Post
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1540804636

Ha! That beige/tan seat looks just like the one I'm currently sitting on.
Well we can do something about that!!
Old 11-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #198
smokehouse

does anyone make the correct light blue vinyl seat covers for a 78 with the buttons i'm wanting to redo my seats in my 78 scottsdale burb but it seems that lmc and others only have the colors for the 80's squarebodys maybe you can point me in the right direction i'm not scared of hogrings been doing vw seats for a long time. i just want the correctly looking seats in my burb.
smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:00 PM   #199
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
does anyone make the correct light blue vinyl seat covers for a 78 with the buttons i'm wanting to redo my seats in my 78 scottsdale burb but it seems that lmc and others only have the colors for the 80's squarebodys maybe you can point me in the right direction i'm not scared of hogrings been doing vw seats for a long time. i just want the correctly looking seats in my burb.
Sending a PM
Old 11-24-2018, 07:20 AM   #200
TKCR

Did my own Black Friday shopping. Went to Kentucky and got 2 seats for restoration, and a few other parts. I also found a super nice set Charcoal seatbelts for my truck, too bad everything else on the interior was gone, including the seat!! They just got this truck in a few days ago!! The outside of the truck looked rough, but the interior was obviously clean!!
It was so nice, sunny and 55!!
Attached Images