The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2023, 07:26 PM   #1
thenewminator

"new" grachics on my '93 GMC long bed

Just taking a min to share some updated pics of my '93 seirra. Just this morning I finished up a custom paint project I've been working for the past few weeks. I originally thought about just adding these pics to an existing thread related to faux patina'd and "logo"d trucks. However I couldn't find anything fairly recent.
From the start of this particular project the plan was to do the best I could with what tools I had; quite a few cans of spray paint, semi crappy masking tape, a not perfectly clean pole barn, and zero experience with painting graphics. With all of those things in mind I was well aware that the final results wouldn't be perfect. As such, and the fact that I added the grachics to a truck that didn't have perfect paint or a perfect body, the plan was to make them even less perfect. You can definitely say that I borrowed the idea from the faux 'tina/shop truck look. instead of a neglected shop or company truck, the "look" is a neglected ex show truck from 25+ years ago. I included a few pics of the progression through the recent graphics project, as well as pics of the truck from before. The "silver" is in fact bare metal with a couple of different wipe on clear coatings. You may notice that I also extended the bare metal "scallop" beyond the door to the bed sides.

BTW if anyone knows of a related thread that I can share a pic or to please include a link. Or maybe you are working on, or have seen a similar idea that you would like to share that would be awesome.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2023, 08:29 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: "new" grachics on my '93 GMC long bed

That came out good.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 05:09 PM   #3
thenewminator

thanks special k
Old 10-19-2023, 05:58 PM   #4
thenewminator

For anyone that might be interested, here are a few more pics of the work I've done this year. The rear bumper was originally black with patches of missing paint and surface rust. I also replaced the original front bumper with a used OEM unit that isn't tweaked. I was also chrome until I tried, and basically failed, to polish off the very small bits of rust on it. What I ended up doing is sanding it in the same manner as the bare metal so that it would blend in, pretty much. I also removed the front plate holder, installing metal valve stems with dice caps in the holes for the hardware. I just thought it would be a neat and different detail. I also replaced the filler panel for below the grill, painting it and the side bumper fillers in the process. Unfortunately, I don't have any detailed pics of the front bumper at the moment.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2023, 08:20 AM   #5
LT7A

Looks like excellent craftsmanship. You have the steadiness and perseverance to do nice custom paintwork. What do you use to seal/protect the bare metal?
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 01:43 PM   #6
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Very nice work!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 10:31 PM   #7
thenewminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Looks like excellent craftsmanship. You have the steadiness and perseverance to do nice custom paintwork. What do you use to seal/protect the bare metal?
thanks LT7A, you are too kind, really lol. As for your question about the bare metal. That isn't exactly a quick, simple answer, be ready.... I started with this stuff called Sharkhide. A clear, wipe on product, similar to clear coat, used on pontoon boats and such. At 1st it was great, however, after a few months I discovered that unless the metal surface is ABSOLUTEY 100% clean, any kind of moister will get under it and begin to flash rust. When I say 100% clean that includes any type of lint, fuzz, or debris left behind from trying to clean the metal and apply the coating. For example the 1st time I used this stuff I applied it with the recommended cloth diaper, which left big pieces of fuzz in a few places, those were the spots that began to flash rust 1st. And when I say any moister that includes humidity in the air. 2 years ago this July I sanded it down and recoated it to clean it up for my 1st planned event. It was VERY humid that day and despite all of my efforts to clean, clean, clean, within a few weeks it was even more flashy than it was before the previous recoat.

It's been quite the process mostly involving trial and error. Over the past couple of years I have had to sand down and recoat the bare metal at least 5 times. Not that ALL of the bare metal had flash rusted, just that it got bad enough to bug me and I wanted to clean it up for an event. With each time that I re-applied the coating I have tried several different types of cleaning methods, different types of cloth for cleaning, and different types of cloth for applying the coating.

Fast forward to this past May/June when it needed to be cleaned up AGAIN. I decided to try something in addition to the Sharkhide and new type of cloth that I stumbled upon. This time I tried a wipe on clear that I bought from ViseGripGarage under the Sharkhide. To clean and apply both coatings I used a super fine microfiber cloth that is really stiff when new, and leaves behind almost no lint if any at all. I semi soaked the cloth with rubbing alcohol to clean the metal after sanding off the previous coating. Then I used a new piece of the same type of cloth to apply the 2 different coatings. The visegrip stuff 1st, then the Sharkhide. With all of that I may have it figured out....the use of a new type of cloth to clean the metal and apply the coating(s), applying the coating(s) in low humidity, combined with a very limited exposure to precipitation over the winter (I started storing it in the pole barn along with not driving it "just cuz" if it's raining) This most recent coating has worked out the best so far.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:43 PM   #8
thenewminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Very nice work!
thanks I've been thinking about adding similar graphics to the center of the hood.