The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #76
FirstOwner69

Re: numbers matching? original engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
The number one thing that has prolonged engine life and extended it up to the 300K and beyond mark....is electronic engine management.
Basically a new fuel injected engine is running in perfect tune 99.999% of the time with respect to air/fuel mixture, timing, etc.
Supposedly when you tear down a 100K motor now...inside it looks like new. No carbon deposits or plugged oil galleries, etc.
That is why the mileage is better as well....perfect, optimum tuning. Plus you can run higher compression again these days and if the engine starts to 'ping' and pre-detonate...the engine simply retards the timing automatically and electronically with the anti-knock sensors until it stops...thus protecting the engine.....ba-da-bing!
As a result they have been able to bump up the compression ratios again from the 1970 and 1980 engines...which were pretty low.

On the older carburated engines you were lucky if it stayed in original tune for a month. You would literally have to to tune it daily to have it compete for the near perfect range a modern engine runs in.

....basically not even a practical comparison.

Regardless...from a hobby standpoint....I still love tuning my old 350....carb and all!!

all Good
Coley
Good points! I recall my truck starting to misfire if I didn't install new spark plugs and set the dwell and timing every 10,000 miles as directed in the owner's manual. Today's vehicles are almost maintenance free in comparison.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:54 AM   #77
Nomadicflyer

Re: numbers matching? original engine?

Years later, I love this thread!