The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2021, 01:23 AM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Anyone buy re-chromed bumpers of late?

One place says they have them, in California. Supposedly triple plated but apparently their rep. isn't so good, so I'll pass. They can no longer triple plate in Ca. I guess, probably rejects.

I have a nice set for re-chroming, though a couple simple dings, like those in the rear because it was installed wrong by a young & dumb guy, long ago, wrong brackets too Maybe it's better to buy another set assuming that's an option.

Recommendations appreciated, thanks
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:00 AM   #2
mr.mud1

Re: Anyone buy re-chromed bumpers of late?

hi Tony.if the name of the place you're referring to in California,starts with a B and ends with Boyz?you're right.i have a piece of their fine work on the front of my 67 wagon and i wouldn't let them do anything for me ever again.i bought it at the Charlotte Autofair 6 or 7 years ago,and needs to be done again.it started to look bad after a year or two with bubbles and had some poorly repaired places that i didn't see.my fault cause i didn't unwrap it completely at the show to inspect it,only one end and once i saw it was the correct bumper,i re-wrapped it for the drive home.i did however,with this 39 Chysler i'm doing now,send a ton of stuff to Electroplating of El Paso and have been very satifisied with what they've done,all except 2 pieces that i send back and they re-did them.i plan to,whenever it is that the Canada/US border re-opens and i'm at my address in Maine picking up parts,ship the Chrysler bumpers and another box of parts to El Paso for some of their handy work.i'm happy with their work.take care.Greg
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:48 AM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Faith Plating did the bumpers for my Skylark, and did a great job. They are in West Hollywood. I don't know about now, as they did those bumpers about 20 years ago.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:11 AM   #4
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

If shipping isn’t an issue, consider sending your OE bumpers to Electroplating of El Paso. There’s a thread or two on here with examples (also on my Blazer build thread). They’ve done several sets for me. No issues years later.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:30 AM   #5
CC69Rat

Rechrome your originals. I've bought a few from AMD and they're okay I guess. .. but my suggestion would be Advanced Plating in Nashville.

https://www.advancedplating.com/site/

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:34 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
hi Tony.if the name of the place you're referring to in California,starts with a B and ends with Boyz?you're right.i have a piece of their fine work on the front of my 67 wagon and i wouldn't let them do anything for me ever again.i bought it at the Charlotte Autofair 6 or 7 years ago,and needs to be done again.it started to look bad after a year or two with bubbles and had some poorly repaired places that i didn't see.my fault cause i didn't unwrap it completely at the show to inspect it,only one end and once i saw it was the correct bumper,i re-wrapped it for the drive home.i did however,with this 39 Chysler i'm doing now,send a ton of stuff to Electroplating of El Paso and have been very satifisied with what they've done,all except 2 pieces that i send back and they re-did them.i plan to,whenever it is that the Canada/US border re-opens and i'm at my address in Maine picking up parts,ship the Chrysler bumpers and another box of parts to El Paso for some of their handy work.i'm happy with their work.take care.Greg
Yes it does.

Thank you for the lead.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 07-27-2021, 03:32 PM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

Ogden Chrome did the front bumper on our 51 GMC in 2017. Came back on time ad nice.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:42 PM   #8
70STOVEBOLT

Rock Auto has rechromed GM bumpers from Goodmark, or at least they did last year. I have one on the back of my truck and it’s very nice. Price was decent as well.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:26 PM   #9
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Ogden Chrome did the front bumper on our 51 GMC in 2017. Came back on time ad nice.
Nice, closer to home. First review because it's the newest. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the leads.

the best advice you can give a person in business is never forget how you got here. unfortunately these guys didn't build this business, they bought it from a great family who served all of us in the area for decades, and have no idea how it was built. I have left parts in the past, service and quality was good. this time, I left parts to be done. over a month .no contact.. I contacted them several times with no return calls, then when i finally got a hold of them, I was quoted nearly twice the original price ... and told several more weeks/months...treated very poorly by manager and staff...no concept of service i would not recommend this place to anyone...hopefully they can figure it out, it's a great business and i hope they do well and are successful in the future

But............two months ago.

"Wow , so beautiful, being one that has had alot of chrome done I'm very particular about the quality. The tell tale scuff marks , wearing grinding down makers marks , none of that with Ogden Chrome, well worth the wait , I would give them more stars if I could."

Speak of waiting, I wonder how my A/C, wire harnesses, window frames are doing, I've had stuff out since Feb. COVID is not the time to be building. I'd have saved thousands as well if this was done when I pulled it. Came across this link. Quite a few in Ca., from what I've read triple plating is the way to go and California can't do it, imports? Nice California protects us from us so much, it's really turned out well for them. https://www.vintagepartsource.com/chrome%20plating.htm

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-27-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:34 AM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

For what worth I spoke to unmentioned. $750 each for supposed original, or $450 each with good cores. To me that means they're giving up a lot for good cores, which leaves me a little suspect what you're getting. I'm not pulling the trigger on them anyway. They say they can still triple plate, it's more California is fining anyone 10K or shutting them down something like, if they're not set up within code.

Question, I'm 80/20 my rear bumper is original. Seems to be evidence it was re-chromed due the rear of it is painted black? More than that I rec'd it as a gift in the early 90s, and to me it feels adequately heavy, I hear replacements are very light. At any rate, I noticed the cuts on the top corners are different, and am wondering if that's common for a GM bumper? Couldn't tell you why it was cut this way.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-28-2021 at 01:41 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:07 AM   #11
402Bowtie

I have a NOS rear bumper, and it doesn't have black on the backside.

I've got a definitely-original rear bumper a state away from me that is still mounted to the truck. I might be able to check in August if it has black on the backside.

But I had in mind the black backsides were reproductions. Maybe I'm wrong...
402Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:24 PM   #12
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402Bowtie View Post
I have a NOS rear bumper, and it doesn't have black on the backside.

I've got a definitely-original rear bumper a state away from me that is still mounted to the truck. I might be able to check in August if it has black on the backside.

But I had in mind the black backsides were reproductions. Maybe I'm wrong...
My point was I think it was re-chromed because of the black on the backside, though maybe you have a point, it's a reproduction. By the weight of it I'd say it's re-chromed GM, but then again I've never picked up a reproduction.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-28-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:37 PM   #13
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
Rock Auto has rechromed GM bumpers from Goodmark, or at least they did last year. I have one on the back of my truck and it’s very nice. Price was decent as well.
THIS!!!

I ordered one of their front bumpers just about 2 years ago and was amazed at the quality of the chrome.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:52 AM   #14
FRCvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
Rechrome your originals. I've bought a few from AMD and they're okay I guess. .. but my suggestion would be Advanced Plating in Nashville.

https://www.advancedplating.com/site/
I will also suggest Advanced Plating. They did some plating for me a few years ago and it was the best I have ever seen. Sipping would probably be a killer tho.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:17 AM   #15
Big Kev-O

GMC Paul's claims to sell high quality bumpers. I don't think they are "re-chromed" but I could not find reconditioned bumpers anywhere. There is a thread where one member said he purchased one from GMC Paul and received a nice bumper made by Key Parts. GMCP is a board vendor and the trim parts I purchased from him were flawless.

GMC Pauls bumpers are described as:
Triple nickel chrome plated with a guaranteed plating thickness of 3.5U/35 micrograph of triple nickel plating. The triple nickel process was developed to provide excellent chrome adhesion to prevent peeling and added durability to resist corrosion. Every bumper is stamped and plated in state of the art QS & ISO-9000 certified factories. A 5-year warranty comes with these bumpers to original purchaser and they are shipped in packages specially designed for them to ensure damage free delivery to you. Exactly like your originals in shape and form. Because of the triple nickel plating process these bumpers have a deep mirror like reflective finish unmatched by any other

https://gmcpauls.com/bumpers1.htm

I just ordered some Key Parts "Smoothie bumpers" from Jegs because the smooth version was not available from Paul's. They look great and weigh about the same as the ones that came off my truck. Photo:
Attached Images

Last edited by Big Kev-O; 08-05-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Big Kev-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:10 PM   #16
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev-O View Post
GMC Paul's claims to sell high quality bumpers. I don't think they are "re-chromed" but I could not find reconditioned bumpers anywhere. There is a thread where one member said he purchased one from GMC Paul and received a nice bumper made by Key Parts. GMCP is a board vendor and the trim parts I purchased from him were flawless.

GMC Pauls bumpers are described as:
Triple nickel chrome plated with a guaranteed plating thickness of 3.5U/35 micrograph of triple nickel plating. The triple nickel process was developed to provide excellent chrome adhesion to prevent peeling and added durability to resist corrosion. Every bumper is stamped and plated in state of the art QS & ISO-9000 certified factories. A 5-year warranty comes with these bumpers to original purchaser and they are shipped in packages specially designed for them to ensure damage free delivery to you. Exactly like your originals in shape and form. Because of the triple nickel plating process these bumpers have a deep mirror like reflective finish unmatched by any other

https://gmcpauls.com/bumpers1.htm

I just ordered some Key Parts "Smoothie bumpers" from Jegs because the smooth version was not available from Paul's. They look great and weigh about the same as the ones that came off my truck. Photo:

Nice bumper. For what worth I have two original front bumpers, they measure approx. 3mm using the very tip of my digital. I used it in different spots, some of it is a pinch thicker, but generally 3mm. My rear bumper, which I don't know for a fact is original measures 3mm as well. My guess it's original, though gauge is all I have to go off of.

Gives me something to work with, perhaps the swap meet at Hot August Nights may have some re-chromed tomorrow. Other than that it's nice to know GMC Pauls is a good option.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:45 AM   #17
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Some information that might be useful. I spoke with Goodmark. They sell two different bumpers. One is for a daily driver. The other's part number has an "A" on the end. The rear bar would be GMK4143800674A

There was a rumor "A" meant the part is a rechromed original. According to the representative I spoke to, "A" means it's show quality. The bar comes from overseas and Goodmark does the plating. I believe it can also mean that yeah, the bumper may be a rechromed original.

I found a GMK4143800674A at Rockauto that reads "refurbished", and pulled the trigger on it for $550ish, with shipping.

Goodmark's website says you can drop the bumpers of at a number of locations, but that's no longer the case.

There's a re-plated "oem" front bumper on ebay, but it comes from the Bumper Depot. Personally I'm going to pass, their reviews don't look so go.

Called Advanced plating, $1200 to replate the front before shipping with a 6 month turnaround (gulp). Called Tri-city, didn't get a price yet, but they claim to have a 6 week turnaround.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:24 AM   #18
Grumpy old man

How close are you to Summit in Sparks, Nv ? you could save the shipping cost and inspect it before the shipping Gorillas get their paws on it .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:57 AM   #19
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
How close are you to Summit in Sparks, Nv ? you could save the shipping cost and inspect it before the shipping Gorillas get their paws on it .
Real super close.....At a glance it looks like they only have replacements of lessor dollars, but you raise a good point.