The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2015, 03:19 AM   #1
doctorplastic

72 C20 Frame/Suspension

Hey Guys,
So I bought a truck a while back and am finally getting around to start the restoration. Shes a 72 C20 Custom Camper. I have 285/75R16 tires sitting on 10"x16" wheels. For some reason the tire on the driver side rubs the front of the fender but the passenger side doesn't. I noticed that the gap on the driver's side (between the tire and front of the fender) is about 3 fingers wide while the passenger side I can stick my whole fist between the tire and the fender.

I can tell that theres a little bondo on the passenger side front quater panel so I'm thinking maybe more work was done on that side to the suspension. I cant see any noticable bends in the frame or the suspension components...but that passenger tire is deffinitely set back toward the rear a little...or driver's side tire is forward a little. I'm wondering if maybe they switched out parts on one side offsetting it a little. Would using 1/2 ton suspension make any kind of difference like that. I'm not saying that they in fact did change any components out but just trying to figure out why theres such a difference from one side to the other when everything seems to be in its proper place. Another thing I thought was maybe the body is off a little...

The truck does have a 2" body lift on it...but all of the fenders, doors, hood, and bed line up perfectly with each other. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciatated.
doctorplastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:18 AM   #2
doctorplastic

Re: 72 C20 Frame/Suspension

So I guess I have a little bit of an update. I got under the truck and noticed that the lower control arms are different. The one on the passenger side looks like its either wider than the driver side or its pushed back toward the rear...
doctorplastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:29 AM   #3
notsolo

I would get a tape measure and check center to center on the wheelbase on both sides. also look for frame damage up front....and if you have a reliable alignment guy around you could have him look at it.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #4
old Chevy guy

I had a G20 van before that the drivers tire was real close to the back of the wheel opening. It never wore the tires and drove straight and true. Eventually I changed the lower a frame and it healed the problem. It didn't look bent on the van but you could see it when it came off.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote