The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2021, 09:37 AM   #1
MELUVNOVA

1968 k10 new axles, steering box, lift kit recommendation?

Wanting to order a 4" or 6' kit today to lift our 68 k10, looking for a recommendation/part number. After browsing around, Im finding the 67-68 k10 are different from the 69-91.
Gonna swap out the steering box and both axles at the same time with parts from an 81 blazer.
A link or a part number would make my day!
MELUVNOVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:18 PM   #2
BASE

Re: 1968 k10 new axles, steering box, lift kit recommendation?

I've got a pair of Offroad Design spings sitting in the garage but not in yet. I can't say if they are worth the $ yet or not. ORD does seem to have a pretty good understanding the 67-72 trucks though. The springs were drop shipped from ALCAN out of CO I think so they might be another source. I probably should add that these things appear to have about 8" more arch than the stock springs even though I asked for a 5" lift. They are supposed to be a lot more 'flexy' than most but others have reported their 4" lift being closer to 6" so might want to consider that.

Some things I've found that might trip you up:
-I had a couple of vendors tell me that my '68 K10 rear springs were a different length than they are, so definitely check that out before purchasing. Mine are 56" long btw, I can't recall now what I was told they should be (maybe 52?). Not sure if that was just bad info, or if they differ from LWB to SWB or something. They are also wider than the later model springs, about 3-1/2" at the shackles and tapering to normal width at the axles. Can be easily accommodated with wider bushings but it would suck to find that out when you are bolting them in.

-I've just finished totally rebuilding some 3/4T squarebody axles to put under mine. I didn't even catch that the spring mounts are a different width on the rear axle until pretty late in the game. I hadn't done my homework there. Easy enough to cut off the old ones and weld on new ones but again, it would suck to figure that out while trying to install it.

-I bought a later model power steering box. It's also 2WD version for crossover steering but that wouldn't have any affect on my frame not accommodating it without the adapter plate I got from captainfab here. Sounds like some frames on '68's have dimples, and some don't. Mine don't.

I got sidetracked building a new engine and haven't got any of this stuff installed yet, so no telling what else I missed, or may be wrong about there...
BASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:59 PM   #3
MELUVNOVA

Is there no "kit" to get this thing lifted? Ill trytoget ahold of ORD in a bit to see what they have on hand I guess.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:06 PM   #4
BASE

They do have a kit. They will want to sell you the shackle flip for anything over 4" IIRC. I just opted to piece mine together because I am hard-headed. Lead time was 10wks out last I checked.

ETA: Here's some discussion that you might find interesting: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/....php?p=8928115
BASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:14 PM   #5
MELUVNOVA

Thanks Base for the help so far. Ill go take a look at that thread.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:50 PM   #6
MELUVNOVA

After looking at that thread, looks like Skyjacker does make a kit for the 68. Part number C240AK-B
Anyone with experience with these kits from them?
Old 12-20-2021, 12:49 PM   #7
duallyjams

I have had the ORD front springs on my 68 for a couple of years now, they ride really good. I would recommend a front sway bar if you are going to do any HWY driving, hitting a big bump, dip or pot hole at 70+ the front end will dart on you so you need both hands on the wheel.

My rear has the longer 56" springs. Currently I just have blocks. I plan on changing it to a shackle flip from ORD, just have not installed it yet.

You can use a front power steering adapter plate from Capt Fab ( member on this board ) to convert to power steering. I got my power steering box from redhead steering. I have used there steering boxes on a half dozen trucks.

I have a tilt steering column out of a 69 floor shift truck so I was able to use a collapsible steer shaft with the power steering upgrade.

I have a D44 big hub disc brake front axle and a D60 rear axle.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 07:19 PM   #8
52napco

ALCAN springs are the best money I've spent on my 4wd trucks..very good quality and customer service...Night and day difference in ride quality..Skyjacker does make a good spring also just not on the same level as the Alcans...
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:19 PM   #9
72USA1

I recently lifted my 67 K10 SWB Stepside 8 inches. I went with Skyjacker 8 inch front springs and 6 inch on the rear with 2 inch blocks. That’s all they offer. The got the power steering kit installed also. The closed hub Dana 44 front ends are impossible to get full turning radius with the lift. Instead of the 4x4 steering box, I’m going to a two wheel drive box and crossover steering. Crossover is the only way to get these trucks to turn full radius.
Don’t fight it like I did...go straight to crossover.
Posted via Mobile Device
72USA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:35 AM   #10
mongocanfly
Post Whore

If your gonna go that high, youll want to look into doing crossover steering...ORD has a nice setup...
It will mean going to a 2wd steering box..ive done 2 with their crossover kit..nice stuff..

Just saw usa1 recommended the same...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 04:03 AM   #11
Richard

With the stock steering setup using a very short drag link any type of flexy spring will introduce exaggerated bump steer regardless of lift height, even if drag link is kept level. Getting stock drag link level at lift height will restore full left to right steering. Problems arise with added travel. Crossover is very beneficial if suspension has travel. A longer drag link changes length less than a shorter one as it moves through the arc. Coilover setup with a panhard running parallel to draglink will completely eliminate bump steer. That is a whole different direction though. There are some posts from others stating the lifted truck darts when hitting a bump. That is bump steer due to the short drag link.

Last edited by Richard; 01-04-2022 at 04:18 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote