The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2022, 11:12 PM   #26
Larry S

Re: Which online parts house do you prefer?

Ive had good results with
Summit
Classic Parts of America
CJ pony parts
Rock auto
Posted via Mobile Device
Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:19 AM   #27
Redneck Rydes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandCheryl View Post
Up here in Canada, our choices might be lesser due to the cross border confusion and shipping costs. I've noted all the names in this post, and will begin contacting same, to see if crossing the border is an issue. Maybe we need to create a Canadian Parts area with links or addresses for those of us that experience weather. (LOL). I'm seen a few in my searches, but i haven't pulled out my visa for anything dramatic yet. Still tooling up and making my garage bigger. But for the ordinary guy just putting a truck back together, I hear of Rock Auto, Summit and Scott's in Alberta. No feedback on anything as yet, but i do have a catalogue from Scotts.
I have dealt with Bills Truck Parts in Courtice,Ontario,just down the road from my summer home,but when I am in SC, I like GMC Pauls and Classic Parts
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:06 AM   #28
BigBird05

If they have it I buy all of my parts from Classic Muscle. They are affiliated with a Chevy dealer.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:18 PM   #29
Redneck Rydes

I bought a lot of parts from them also when I was restoring a 1968 SS427 Impala.
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:48 PM   #30
tinman_local2

I think I need to re-think my answer. My favorite place these days is the one that has the parts in stock and doesn't have a 12-16 week lead time.
tinman_local2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:36 PM   #31
Accelo

My favorite is anyone that answers the phone in less than 10min.

Bonus points; if while I am waiting they don't tell me how MUCH BETTER it would be if I did my ordering on the web site. Trust me if I didn't have to talk to them it would be better for both of us.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:51 PM   #32
BASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman_local2 View Post
I think I need to re-think my answer. My favorite place these days is the one that has the parts in stock and doesn't have a 12-16 week lead time.
Yeah that seems to be only getting worse. As I was finishing up my engine I noticed most of the popular stuff was drying up quickly. I ended up having to step up to some really high $ stuff just to get something in reasonable time.

I've never thought much about buying auto parts from amazon until recently. If you go that route make sure you know where the parts are coming from though. I've gotten burned twice here in the last week with unusable/broken/incomplete parts that cannot be returned using the normal amazon process (3rd party seller).
BASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:59 PM   #33
wsurf4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman_local2 View Post
Agreed, I just ordered from multiple places, even those who say the parts are in stock are taking 2-5 days to fill and ship the order.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:38 PM   #34
MikeB

I typically google the part number and then determine my total cost with tax and shipping. Then I check stock. The good companies will tell you right on their website if the part is in stock .

I just received an AC-Delco neutral safety/back-up switch from Amazon the day after I ordered it. Total delivered price was $20.16. At Summit it was $41.11.

But my last Summit order was a for an AAW wiring harness. Their price was among the lowest, plus they had sent me a $25 discount code to use on a
$200 purchase. That plus free shipping on >$99 orders sealed the deal.

Back to Amazon: Some things will be insanely expensive. You just never know until you check with at least 3 vendors.

For OE-type parts, you should check RockAuto, LMC Truck, Classic Parts of America, H&H Classic, and Brothers. In fact get a LMC paper catalog for their exploded view drawings. They're an invaluable resource.

Lots of people here like GMC Pauls, but reading their "Policies" scared me away. The entire tone of the document is negative. And I just noticed that they no longer accept returns and exchanges due to Covid. Wow, I don't know of any other vendors doing that. So, just be sure to understand their policies before you place an order that cannot be returned.

Forgot to mention Speedway and Jeg's, in addition to Summit, for performance parts.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 01-21-2022 at 01:15 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:01 PM   #35
pjmoreland

There's something odd going on with Summit right now. Usually when I place an order they ship the same day or maybe the next day. I placed an order with them this past Monday, and it still hasn't shipped out. The order status page lists all of the items as "Ready to Ship." I contacted them about it and the customer service agent said they are in the middle of switching over to a different inventory management system, and she had no idea how long it would be before the order would ship. I believe this order is coming out of their TX facility.

I placed another order from them yesterday, and it shipped today, although this order is coming from their NV facility.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:14 PM   #36
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
There's something odd going on with Summit right now.
I'd say their customer service is nowhere near what it was from the 1990s to 2015 or so. Used to be I'd send a message to them and hear back within an hour or less. I mean they treated me like I was their best customer! Now it could take days to hear back. Some of that could be due to Covid, but it started several years ago.

Also, 10-20 years ago they always seemed to have the lowest total prices, but now they are just average, and in some cases like I mentioned above, significantly higher. Don't know if their margins are very tight now or what, but it used to be common to get e-mails from them with codes for $20 off a $100 order. Really! Haven't sent one of those in a decade or more, but did get $25 off the $575 wiring harness I mentioned above. Sure would like to see more of those kinds of deals.
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 01-22-2022 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:32 PM   #37
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Up here in Canada, our choices might be lesser due to the cross border confusion and shipping costs. I've noted all the names in this post, and will begin contacting same, to see if crossing the border is an issue. Maybe we need to create a Canadian Parts area with links or addresses for those of us that experience weather. (LOL). I'm seen a few in my searches, but i haven't pulled out my visa for anything dramatic yet. Still tooling up and making my garage bigger. But for the ordinary guy just putting a truck back together, I hear of Rock Auto, Summit and Scott's in Alberta. No feedback on anything as yet, but i do have a catalogue from Scotts.
I have spent a ton at Summit the last couple of years. Big thing with them is you know if the part is in stock and if not it it'll give you an approximate when it'll be in stock. For us Canucks what I like is that if you spend over 299.00 US dollars at Summit shipping is free , via Fed Ex Ground, to Canada but they still bang you GST/PST.. Customer service is excellent as well. RockAuto had great prices but shiping can get a little heavy duty on multiple parts orders as not all the parts are in one warehouse. You mentioned Scotts in Penhold and I'd recommend him as well and also Bills Truck Shop in Ontario..

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" 4 Things When Used are Gone Forever "

" A Word After it is Said - A Missed Opportunity - Time once Passed - Trust after its Lost "

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:52 PM   #38
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
For us Canucks what I like is that if you spend over 299.00 US dollars at Summit shipping is free, via Fed Ex Ground, to Canada but they still bang you GST/PST.
Is one of those fees an import duty? If so, I just don't understand why two friendly, neighboring countries would impose fees on commerce between them.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:09 PM   #39
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Is one of those fees an import duty? If so, I just don't understand why two friendly, neighboring countries would impose fees on commerce between them.
We have a lot of free social programs here in Canada with the big one being free Health Care so we are taxed personally and provincially a lot heavier than you folks in the USA.. The taxes also protect the Canadian economy as even with the 30% differencenow in our monies a lot of items even after paying the 30% more when we buy things from the USA it can be still cheaper to buy it from the USA. We have no duty anymore with NAFTA but the taxes are a back door way for the Federal and Provincial Governments to charge Duty..

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" 4 Things When Used are Gone Forever "

" A Word After it is Said - A Missed Opportunity - Time once Passed - Trust after its Lost "

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021

Last edited by Already Gone; 01-22-2022 at 06:22 PM.
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:57 AM   #40
Richard

Had my first order cancelled from Classic Muscle after months of delays and several calls and emails saying it would ship. Unfortunately at bottom of my list at this point.
Summit is where I look first. Just got another order in one day with free ship. Do not know how they do it. Always good prices and exceed expectaions 95% of the the time. Classic parts is second in my preferences. Reasonable shipping, not a problem with parts and pretty reliable.
Like to use forum venders for parts they offer. They generally have good parts and are reliable. Shipping can be a deal breaker though. Understand it not their fault. Not a big fan of GMC Paul's online only experience with an outdated website and no search. Prefer Wess at Classic Heartbeat, you can call him.
He answers the phone and updated his website. Last on my list is LMC and Brothers, they lie about instock products, shipping prices are not great and are generally slow to deliver. Only use for exclusive stuff I want and cannot get elsewhere. Rock Auto used to be a go to. Not so much any more.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:08 PM   #41
blue betty

Smile Re: Which online parts house do you prefer?

Being up in Canada it always ends up costing too much ordering from the states. I have used Bills Truck Shop in Courtice, Ontario for over 20 years now. Great customer service, very friendly and quick. Sometimes I get my parts that I ordered the next day. They have a huge inventory of parts for my 67 and 85. Highly recommended.

1967 GMC Fleetside. (Betty)
1985 Chevy Shortbox 4X4.(Freddy)
blue betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 05:04 PM   #42
xs-cash

Quote:
I’ve used LMC a few times, no issues at all , last order took 8 days and at my door, happy with them , I’m in Edmonton Alberta
xs-cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 05:50 PM   #43
LS short box

Just a tip for a bit lower price from some vendors. If you current military or veteran some, but not all vendors will give you a discount. I always ask.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:22 PM   #44
wsurf4me

Since starting this thread I've ordered from several places, my experience so far.

Jegs - said parts were in stock until I tried to checkout, then changed to backorder.
Summit -parts in stock took a couple of days to ship, arrived in a day or two after that.
Holley - probably the best so far, what was in stock shipped the same day as ordered, took two days to arrive.
Classic Industries = at this point disappointed, place order on 1/17, confirmed and shipped on 1/19, supposed to be delivered 1/25.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:26 PM   #45
Accelo

Jegs - said parts were in stock until I tried to checkout, then changed to backorder.

That's quite the marketing trick.

Almost as bad as Amazon's game called; Attempt to guess when will it arrive or where it was shipped from.
Ordered a part on the 19th. Still hasn't shipped and is currently listed as in stock.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:26 PM   #46
wsurf4me

Also subscribed to Jegs to get discount only to find almost everything other than Jegs brand is excluded. Currently getting around 2 emails a day spamming their products - will most likely unsubscribe soon.