The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2022, 12:42 PM   #1
MDFarms

Frame painting/ powder coat sheen questions

Hope my questions below is understandable!!

So, I have my frame down to the powder coater, its blasted and ready for the paint process. He does a 4-coat system in a rust neutralizer coat; a base primer type coat a base color and clear coat. (Excuse me if I'm off on the actual names of process)

Any way he says most people do frames in the semi-gloss with a satin sheen or a gloss sheen clear. Last guy did a gloss paint on his with gloss clear which they said was too shiny in their opinion, it shows too many imperfections.

I have considered the semi-gloss base with a more of matte finish clear more so than a semi-gloss base with semi- gloss clear finish.

I have looked at some of his work in a satin finish which to me looks closer to what it may have been from factory but obviously only a guess. That with a satin finish clear may be the ticket?? Or perhaps a satin with semi - gloss finish? or the semi-gloss with semi gloss clear?

I spoke to another builder of which recommended whatever finish I go with to make sure not to do everything in same finish. Meaning if you're doing front wheel well tubs and say hood latch and grille mounts to maybe downplay to the next lower level of sheen finish? His reasoning was because of multiple suppliers at time original build that the paint was never exactly the same black between all vendors.

So, my question is for those of you powder coating what type of sheen are you using? Satin or Semi-Gloss? I'm definitely not going with the Gloss so throw that out the window. What do most feel to be correct? If anyone has powder coated and has pictures of frame when done, please add them to this post.

In the end I know it's all personal preference but I'm a stickler on details and its appearing to be an expensive build and I want it to be as closest to factory specs as possible on overall appearance so my personal opinion may not count because I have never built one or went to shows to see the do's and dont's lol!

Thank you,
Chad
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:11 PM   #2
Accelo

Re: Frame painting/ powder coat sheen questions

I have went with a gloss single step powder coat. Less expensive and I am going to drive mine, but not in the rain. I would only go the multi-step gloss if I was a trailer queen with mirrors under it.
Typical cost is nominally $5-$600 for a single step process in the Portland OR area. That included blasting. Which I consider a fail deal.
I included a picture of the rear of my frame. It would look slightly better if it was wiped down.
Notice, it has some divots from the rust pitting. A full on clear coat will make this look much worse.
4-coat system? Maybe if it's sanded between coats to hide the dimples. Seems over the top and big bucks.
When the guy is on his back critiquing the powder coat they are in a very vulnerable position in my humble opinion.
Simply depends on where you are going with your truck.
A power coated frame is over the top compared to the factory asphalt based paint.
I also used the same color/sheen on all my suspension parts that were black.
The upper A arm cross rods, the spindles and the sway bar were all done in a black speckled powder paint which l loved.
I get a lot of comments on how nice mine looked. (Before the body was on) LOL.

The finish is ultra dependent on the smoothness of the base metal.
I am adding a picture of a grille brace powder coated with the same stuff as a comparison. Single coated.

Cheers

Name:  IMG_2290(1).jpg
Views: 470
Size:  62.7 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by Accelo; 01-21-2022 at 01:33 PM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:44 PM   #3
MDFarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I have went with a gloss single step powder coat. Less expensive and I am going to drive mine, but not in the rain. I would only go the multi-step gloss if I was a trailer queen with mirrors under it.
Typical cost is nominally $5-$600 for a single step process in the Portland OR area. That included blasting. Which I consider a fail deal.
I included a picture of the rear of my frame. It would look slightly better if it was wiped down.
Notice, it has some divots from the rust pitting. A full on clear coat will make this look much worse.
4-coat system? Maybe if it's sanded between coats to hide the dimples. Seems over the top and big bucks.
When the guy is on his back critiquing the powder coat they are in a very vulnerable position in my humble opinion.
Simply depends on where you are going with your truck.
A power coated frame is over the top compared to the factory asphalt based paint.
I also used the same color/sheen on all my suspension parts that were black.
The upper A arm cross rods, the spindles and the sway bar were all done in a black speckled powder paint which l loved.
I get a lot of comments on how nice mine looked. (Before the body was on) LOL.

The finish is ultra dependent on the smoothness of the base metal.
I am adding a picture of a grille brace powder coated with the same stuff as a comparison. Single coated.

Cheers

Attachment 2160329
Love the look of your parts and frame! Yes he is charging me $600 for everything as well. My frame is super clean with no pitting or flaws coming from Nevada heat. I think he said a zinc phosphate coat, then a powder type primer coat followed by a color coat then clear.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:17 PM   #4
Accelo

$600 is a deal for the multi coat process.
Cheers.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:34 PM   #5
MDFarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
$600 is a deal for the multi coat process.
Cheers.
I agree I was shocked when he gave me the price. Must be the powder coat materials is cheap? He does a huge volume anywhere from manufacturing to custom work like frames and chassis and maybe that's why! I was figuring $1000-$1200 to be honest.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:46 PM   #6
Thealien

Here in Massachusetts the powder coat on this frame and a few other small parts was $1000. That did not include the sandblasting.

Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:22 PM   #7
MDFarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
Here in Massachusetts the powder coat on this frame and a few other small parts was $1000. That did not include the sandblasting.

Can you ask them or do you know what sheen that was meaning Satin, Semi or gloss and what clear? It looks correct to me for the right color and shine.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:45 PM   #8
Thealien

I will definitely ask but it may take a bit to get an answer as he is extremely busy.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:52 PM   #9
Thealien

He replied it is satin black with no clear
Old 01-21-2022, 04:18 PM   #10
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I did the gloss on mine...
Attached Images

1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:51 PM   #11
MDFarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
He replied it is satin black with no clear
To me it looks about what I wad thinking. To glossy shows more imperfections.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:11 PM   #12
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFarms View Post
To me it looks about what I wad thinking. To glossy shows more imperfections.
I was very pleased. The frame was in great shape to begin with and it does look really smooth. Too bad no one will ever see it underneath a slightly lowered 2 Wheel Dr. Blazer.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:19 PM   #13
MDFarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
Looks really nice and i'm sure your build will be sweet. I'm trying to duplicate original look so therefore need input from those who have been down this road before.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:32 PM   #14
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post

Love it.

Anything but black is my favorite
Old 01-21-2022, 07:36 PM   #15
LS short box

The powder coater should have samples of the different powders hanging on the wall. The company I used to work for a company that has a big powder coat shop. They had a ton of samples to look at and compare. Powder colors go by RAL numbers. You can look up hundreds of powder colors by RAL numbers.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:45 PM   #16
CG
BlahBlahBlah

My opinion ... Thealien has the perfect frame color and sheen. I would do all the metal under the hood black like that. Firewall and engine color will break up the black, as will engine accessories and any chrome bits. Air con hoses, brake booster, aluminum lines, and Im sure there are more contrasting things I cant think of that will break up the black.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:50 PM   #17
MDFarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg View Post
my opinion ... Thealien has the perfect frame color and sheen. I would do all the metal under the hood black like that. Firewall and engine color will break up the black, as will engine accessories and any chrome bits. Air con hoses, brake booster, aluminum lines, and im sure there are more contrasting things i cant think of that will break up the black.
agreed!!!!!
Old 01-22-2022, 06:09 PM   #18
LS short box

I didn't powder coat the frame on my 68 because powder coat shop was too busy to give me the employee discount so I used Eastwood chassis black.
But as said above I did the rad support, inner fenders and other parts in satin black powder.
It gives a great contrast to the red paint.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:25 PM   #19
MDFarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
I didn't powder coat the frame on my 68 because powder coat shop was too busy to give me the employee discount so I used Eastwood chassis black.
But as said above I did the rad support, inner fenders and other parts in satin black powder.
It gives a great contrast to the red paint.
Looks Great!